new iPod mini, need earbuds
Jan 2, 2005 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

justi

Head-Fier
after debating forever I rode over to bestbuy today with him out of boredom and saw an openbox ipod mini for 225 so I just went ahead and bought of it since it was one of the DAPs I was considering and it was 25$ off the regular price so I figured why not . well of course after two seconds of listening to the horrid stock earbuds I kinda just threw them across my room in disgust. I plugged in my HD570s and I was AMAZED at how well it powered them. either way I need some good earbuds for this thing since I am pretty sure I'm going to keep it even though the battery bar went down really fast and scared me I think its gonna be ok. I heard that the KS-35's (I think) we're nice but I don't know about any others. I dont' have too much money to spend on them so I'm looking for a most bang for your buck type of thing I appricate all your help, thanks in advance!

-justin

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 26
I'm also looking for some cheap but decent portables to replace the mini's buds. Can't contribute since I haven't heard anything yet, but I will say that the Apple earbuds BITE.

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 26
Sony: MDR-E888s, MDR-EX71 (and successor EX81)
Senn: MX500, MX550. The two are supposedly vastly different in their sonic characterstics.

Then there are the usual In-ears people will recommend, Shure E3 and E2, ER6 and ER6i, etc.

If on the cheap side, I'd recommend the MX line of earbuds. I'd also get some extra foamies, they help with comfort and seal. I recommend EX71s, but be warned, you won't like them out of the box (harsh trebles, overpowering bass). Burn these in for about a week non-stop and they become much better. If color matching is a must, then EX71s are about the only choice in the matter.

Avoid, at all costs, Apple In-Ear Buds. They won't stay in your ears, and I found their sound very claustrophobic, with the iPods no less.

Jan 2, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
Sony: MDR-E888s, MDR-EX71 (and successor EX81)
Senn: MX500, MX550. The two are supposedly vastly different in their sonic characterstics.

Then there are the usual In-ears people will recommend, Shure E3 and E2, ER6 and ER6i, etc.

If on the cheap side, I'd recommend the MX line of earbuds. I'd also get some extra foamies, they help with comfort and seal. I recommend EX71s, but be warned, you won't like them out of the box (harsh trebles, overpowering bass). Burn these in for about a week non-stop and they become much better. If color matching is a must, then EX71s are about the only choice in the matter.

Avoid, at all costs, Apple In-Ear Buds. They won't stay in your ears, and I found their sound very claustrophobic, with the iPods no less.

A8 & CM7

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 26
Sennheiser MX450 or MX550 -- don't be too influenced by the claimed 'different sound' as opposed to MX x00s.
They're better, improved in sound and 'convenience'.

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 26
I love my ER-6is. You can get them for around $110-$120. Remember that the iPod's battery meter is really inaccurate. I have run mine for 5 hours when the meter has shown zero charge.

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 26
another vote for the sennheiser mx500s. They need to be burned in for at least 36-48 hrs continuously, and avoid the tweak that has you cutting holes in the foamies (hard to do, and no real difference). Also, the 500s have an inline volume control which is very handy if you are carrying the ipod in your pocket.

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 26
Also, if possible, buy the applecare. That way, if the battery dies soon, you can send it to apple for replacement. the policy goes for 2 years, so after 18 mos or so, you can send it back for another battery.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 26
Yet another MX500 recommendation over here. A great buy for the money.

If you're impressed with your HD570's, you'll really be impressed with some of the other full-size cans around here.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnnj
I love my ER-6is. You can get them for around $110-$120. Remember that the iPod's battery meter is really inaccurate. I have run mine for 5 hours when the meter has shown zero charge.

That is an easy problem to remedy... all you have to do it run your batteryflat to reset the battery meter and you will be okay. It won't cause any damage to you ipod because it is li-ion. Just like other I would suggest the ex-71's/81's they should suffice.

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnnj

I do believe that devices with battery gauge and LiIon needs a full drain once in 30 to 40 cycles (or once a month) to recalibrate the gauge accurately. Let it drain until the player goes kaput then give it a full recharge.

If you're on a tight budget, get the MX500s and extra ear foams or the silicons from Radio Shack. That should set you back all but $30-40 at most.

If you can stretch a little further, get EX71s/81s. Give it a 100 burn in before using them on a regular basis.

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 26
alright so I'm seeing a few opinions but it looks like the majority is either mx500 or ex71s (or 81).

about burning in : that just means keep them playing plugged into the power source for that amount of time? and at what volumes would they need to be burned in at?

for the mx500, you guys say get extra ear foams. where can I find good sets of extra foamies?

thanks so much for the help so far, I really appriciate it!
icon10.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by justi
alright so I'm seeing a few opinions but it looks like the majority is either mx500 or ex71s (or 81).

about burning in : that just means keep them playing plugged into the power source for that amount of time? and at what volumes would they need to be burned in at?

for the mx500, you guys say get extra ear foams. where can I find good sets of extra foamies?

thanks so much for the help so far, I really appriciate it!
icon10.gif

burning in at slightly louder than normal listening volume is fine. you can find extra foamies at Radio Shack.

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 26
the ex71 is definitely more comfortable than the mx series and IMO sound better with clearer mids and highs. i think the ex71 complements the ipod very well since the ipod is weak on bass and the ex71 is strong. i just picked up the ex81 and they are more balanced than the ex71. the bass isn't as bloated and the highs aren't as shrill as the ex71...this is before burn in too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back