New ? Interconnects
Jul 3, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 25
On bullet plugs, again lots of pseudo-science and absurd and plainly false facts. Just one example:

"And brass has a very low conductivity. It will transmit only 28% of the signal. "

No more comments needed.

Jul 4, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 25
Ricky, you seem to be ****ting on every thread about cables. Did you get suckered into, I mean buy some pos cable for $1000, thus are bitter about it so you take it out on everybody else who talks about cables? Have you even tried different cables in your audio system? Do you even have one? If so, what do you have? Do you listen to really ****ty quality recordings? Etc.

rick, have you tried WBTs? They're nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by rickfri
Has anybody tried these cables. They come with the bullet plugs.
Wouldn't mind trying something with bullet plugs, but I've never heard of these before.

http://www.bettercables.com/5met164feetp.html

I wouldn't be inclined to spend my money on them for three reasons.

1. silver plated copper is reputed to sound bad
2. only 95% shield
3. too expensive
4. not OCC copper
5. coaxial geometry, i think, not twisted pair balanced construction

So I lied, 5 reasons...

Jul 4, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 25
I would have to agree with Ricky here... I just read the bullet plug stuff... 99% hog wash...

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
still, the only way to really know is to try it.

Sorry, but I would not ever spend a cent in a product that clearly looks like pure snake oil.

You know, any idiot can make some weird and strange cable designs, put at a web page some nice photos and weird explanations, and then claim that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

In my country, that's called making money by means of cheating people.

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 25
Ricky, i can appreciate your skeptism.

of course, i am not going to fork out $$$ for something i dont believe its worth trying but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be the next best thing! i like to give everything a chance, innocent until proven guilty?

you never know until its tried. who would of guessed some mold(penicillin) would be the biggest breakthru in medical science!

so we've establish you dont believe in cables(so why are you HERE?!?!?! and why are you so curious??) but how about DAC, jitter, upsampling, god, love, aliens, medicine, dog, cats and toasters?

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Ricky
Sorry, but I would not ever spend a cent in a product that clearly looks like pure snake oil.

Many medications have unknown mechanisms of action. One example (of many) is Neurontin (gabapentin). It is an accepted anti-seizure medication, but its mechanism of action is unknown. It's just known to work.

I'm not suggesting that every cable manufacturer comes to market with something new or innovative. Let's face it, with a new cable company springing up almost every day now, it's hard to imagine that even a small fraction of them are well-funded enough to own a decent amount of testing or manufacturing equipment, let alone the ability to actually fund the manufacturing of an actual new design.

My point in the first paragraph of this post is simply to say that you really ought to try some of these things at least once. Don't you have any audio dealers in your area who might let you take a pair home? If so, try it. But even if you did find your rig sounded better with different cables, I bet you wouldn't even trust your own ears anyway.

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

Many medications have unknown mechanisms of action. One example (of many) is Neurontin (gabapentin). It is an accepted anti-seizure medication, but its mechanism of action is unknown. It's just known to work.

"It's just known to work" ...by means of DBT testing, I should add.

Sorry, I know I shouldn't say this word here, but your answer was calling for it.

See FDA requirements for drug approval at:

http://www.samaritanpharma.com/?m=13&p=7

Besides, cable interactions with signals are well known, and have been well known for decades. And sound, no matter how much you fiddle with it, is still a signal.

Not the same thing as drug interactions with brain.

Besides, if I'm saying the product looks like pure snake oil, is because in the advertising they make pseudo-technical assertions that are totally false, or in other words, they're lying. It's as simple as that.

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
see you there... or maybe not.

Don't worry, man... I've been out for the weekend. My life is not all about these forums, you know.

Just have a little bit of patience.

I'm far, far, from being "beaten", despite you think otherwise. I'm not an idiot. I'm an audio engineer. I have some knowledge over these issues, and also scientific background that supports it. I have tests (and can prepare more) to backup my assertions. I've read hundreds of posts before at other places, related to these questions. I know what I'm talking about.

You like to think I'm an ignorant, but then, you are wrong again.

I thought it was clear that I don't "run and hide" that easily.

See you at the other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back