NEW information on JH-3a
Jul 17, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,381 of 2,176
@inthecity - You initially posted the partial conversation saying that Jerry was responding to your long email, but now that we see the whole thing it looks like the other way around.. he said what he said and THEN you sent the email.

thats a pretty big difference.

we all may have our grievences, but in all fairness i think you misrepresented Jerry the first time around. 

I appologize if I am mistaken here.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,382 of 2,176
Just a little update of where I am... This page is headed back with my 3A in short time.

With the lesser hiss, I can tell a bit better just how nice the unit sounds now, but I'm still having to listen real loud in order to drown out the hiss. (It's still bad enough that if *loud* music doesn't include (mask) the high pitched frequencies, I can still hear the hiss clear through.)

Here's to hoping the third time is a charm :)

Edit: Weird that Head-Fi isn't showing the full quality that I uploaded. Try right-clicking and "open link in new" tab or window for more quality.

Does anyone disagree with or have any comments regarding my "idea" of the needed range on the volume knob?

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,384 of 2,176
Maybe I got lucky but my unit is DEAD quiet.

My volume pot works flawless.

It seems you will get some distortion when the battery gets low.

For kicks I been listening to Manhiem Steamroller.  Rather impressive :)

Just a thought but maybe there is a voltage issue going on with other units?

I will play around and see if my volume pots gets "touchy" as the battery wears down.

It's rather annoying when a sound engineer pans hard left or right on an instrument...
sure sticks out with IEMs.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #1,385 of 2,176
@RYDMOTO, I do not believe the distortion is a battery charge issue. The very first "notch" of the knob is always this broken, distorted sound (of the music)... I am pretty confident it is a programming issue.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #1,386 of 2,176

Quote:
@inthecity - You initially posted the partial conversation saying that Jerry was responding to your long email, but now that we see the whole thing it looks like the other way around.. he said what he said and THEN you sent the email.

thats a pretty big difference.

we all may have our grievences, but in all fairness i think you misrepresented Jerry the first time around. 

I appologize if I am mistaken here.

Jerry's last email response, "you know where I stand", I interpret inclusively back to his original comments.  In fact, the whole thread paints a worse picture,,, presumptive reply with "ride it out" - people did this because of continued expectations set forth by JHA and NOT because they were investors making profit margin return, and "everyone that has received their amp has loved it", - on June 6 there were perhaps two or three people with product in hand not all of whom where entirely happy, and "keep your speculation to yourself" - he doesn't waiver in wanting to avoid criticism of his product.

I extracted his key sentiments that remain the same whether before or after my email, at least in my perception.  But as I do read the thread, AND I acknowledge my responsibility, I provide the  unedited thread for your own interpretation and my bad if anyone thought I mischaracterized the email exchange (which I don't think I did, my opinion).  We could all just wish that JHA, if and when they read this forum thread, would do in kind for the many questions, concerns, and issues raised.  It's not that painful.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #1,387 of 2,176
i have to say seeing the whole email from Jerry it reads slightly differently but in the end the comments made are not what I would expect from someone in response to a customer who pays their wages which inthecity is as he has purchased from JH.

On the whole the whole letter to me amplifies the arrogance coming from this company. Especially knowing they are not very highly thought of at the moment for all the misinformation they have given over this past year with this product.

One would think they would be a little more careful in their wording knowing that their reputation has not suddenly been forgiven with a faultless product long delayed and long payed for by most of the purchasers but in fact said product seems to be far from ready.

I think they need to use investors from the banking fields rather than consumers in future when they want to make a product which from what I am reading thus far is not as groundbreaking as first mentioned in terms of sonics. Maybe a little less hyperbole on their website and facebook and a little more honesty. I know it is not rock and roll but you can't be rock and roll with other peoples hard earned money!

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,388 of 2,176
When JH recently seemed very close to shipping, I was soooooo tempted to put down the money and go for it. But now I'm glad I waited. 

I DO believe it sounds amazing and almost certainly will be getting one at some point, but I've already got a CLAS --> RX --> iPod --> JH16 and unlike most here, I don't have an extensive CD lossless or hi-res collection, most of my music is iTunes+ 256k, so I feel like upgrading my music (****, I wish Apple offered lossless!) seems to be the higher priority. Not sure the 3A will totally be worth it until I do.

Also, I'm living abroad now and shipping back and forth in case there are problems would just be too much hassle. So I will wait until it's very stable/bug-free and order at that time. Even if it's $2,000 later on vs. $1750 now -- it's much more important to have a perfectly working product. 

In terms of the many comments and email exchanges, I think we all (JH included) would agree that taking pre-orders was by far the biggest mistake they could have made. They should have just borrowed or used their own $100k or so and developed this to perfection and THEN released it. Taking people's money and then not delivering -- or delivering with problems -- has been 90% of the problem. 

The other main issue -- proper communication -- could have alleviated much throughout this pre-order ordeal, but I get the feeling JH is not only a small, sometimes undermanned company -- but also that they have this kind of hipster/cocky vibe (which has been good for their marketing) but has kinda made it hard for them to be sufficiently apologetic and also humble and deferential to their customers throughout this year of delays. I think they really do mean well, but have been torn or confused about how to respond, how often to communicate, what to say. Seems like common sense to most of us, but it feels like they are in very unfamiliar territory and have not responded appropriately or professionally overall. 

Here's a thought (which could still be implemented) ... there were 50-100 pre-orders if I'm right? The right thing to do would have been to PERSONALLY CALL each and every one of those customers at least 1-2 times during this process. Even if it was just to answer questions, give assurance, apologize and say "we'll let you know when we know more." It would have made a difference. I'm not saying Brittany or Jerry, but others in the company could have helped with this and it would have dramatically influenced customer feelings and perception. I know they have a business to run, but this has been going on for a year. Just making 8-10 calls per week (one call to each 3A customer) over the course of a couple of months is not too much to ask. 

Besides, even if their bread and butter occurs elsewhere, you can't think just in terms of dollars and cents. Their reputation has taken a big hit, and partly because I think they forgot that the early-adopter types that invested in this (many of whom are posting here on this thread) -- while maybe a small "niche" -- are actually the most vocal about the products (by far!), positive or negative. Making these people happy produces a tidal wave of good press and free marketing, but pissing them off has led to a hurricane of hate and bad will. 

What's even crazier is that THERE IS STILL A CHANCE! Most have not given up yet. Many people here just want communication and ultimately delivery of their product that does as promised. If they were proactively communicative (i.e. not waiting for people to call or bug them) and caring until the product QC/shipping issues are completely resolved, they could still save this thing. 

Unfortunately, they are on thin ice right now and it's about to break. They need to do something fast to avoid a wave of refunds and more negative press. 

As an aside to you, Inthecity, I must admit -- the initial way you posted Jerry's response made it seem worse. Because you had this long, thought out email and then he seemed to give this cold, rude, defensive response. Also, cutting out his line about calling and talking in person did make a difference in that response. Most would agree. 

To sum up ...

Overall, they still have some great products and a fantastic vision -- and I would love nothing more than to see this thing corrected. I know they can. I hope they will. And in the meantime, I hope they humbly communicate, apologize and give a realistic roadmap to those who are still on board.

I would feel very sad if this project got abandoned. As good as my 16's sound, I can only imagine the sonic bliss that comes from lossless, well recorded music combined with this new tech and the unsurpassed quality of their IEM's. 

I'm keeping hope alive, and hoping JH shows you guys - via ACTION - that this hope is justified. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #1,390 of 2,176
I should have just asked RYDMOTO in the thread, but I'm sure he doesn't mind my sharing here. His answer excites me greatly!

I asked,

Hi!

I'm just wondering if you could elaborate a tiny bit on "dead silent" ...

With nothing plugged into the 3A but the headphones and the power on, you're saying you cannot hear any hiss?

How about if you close your eyes and unplug/replug the headphones? Can you detect the hiss then?

Either way, though, your experience is very encouraging. "Dead silent" by anyone's standard should be pretty quiet.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Adam

To which he replied,

Hi Adam,

Even before your suggestion I tried to create hiss.

I hear non whatsoever.

I do hear hiss on poorly recorded music so I do know what to listen for.

Roy

Your question is a reasonable one.

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thank you, Roy!

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,391 of 2,176
On another note, I decided to go ahead and make one of my signature denim amp pouches today. :)

Edit: Thanks, wuwhere. And no idea what the jeans were. They're old scraps that belonged to my fiance.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #1,393 of 2,176

Quote:
Maybe I got lucky but my unit is DEAD quiet.

My volume pot works flawless.

It seems you will get some distortion when the battery gets low.

For kicks I been listening to Manhiem Steamroller.  Rather impressive :)

Just a thought but maybe there is a voltage issue going on with other units?

I will play around and see if my volume pots gets "touchy" as the battery wears down.

It's rather annoying when a sound engineer pans hard left or right on an instrument...
sure sticks out with IEMs.

hopefully a sign of things to come - what order # were you?

thanks

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,394 of 2,176
A lot of great and insightful posts on here re: the communication issues at JHA. I know for me, personally, if I hadn't gotten an email from Jerry that alleviated some of my concerns, I would have cancelled. My biggest wish (aside from a working amp NOW) is that they change their communication model from reactive to preemptive. It is sooooo annoying that we have to drag answers out of them, and that they are usually an ambiguous sentence or two.

I think the biggest risk they run is that someone else shows up with a product that is competitive to the 3a combo, but offers better customer service... I do hope things change for the better, as I think it is a shame that their innovativeness isn't matched by their service.

Oh well, it has been a long road, but hopefully we are nearing the end of it... 

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #1,395 of 2,176

Quote:
A lot of great and insightful posts on here re: the communication issues at JHA. I know for me, personally, if I hadn't gotten an email from Jerry that alleviated some of my concerns, I would have cancelled. My biggest wish (aside from a working amp NOW) is that they change their communication model from reactive to preemptive. It is sooooo annoying that we have to drag answers out of them, and that they are usually an ambiguous sentence or two.

I think the biggest risk they run is that someone else shows up with a product that is competitive to the 3a combo, but offers better customer service... I do hope things change for the better, as I think it is a shame that their innovativeness isn't matched by their service.

Oh well, it has been a long road, but hopefully we are nearing the end of it... 

This has been done before with speakers but not with IEMs using DSP and software which is a lot more complex. Every time you deal with software you always have to ask yourself how do I provide fixes/updates? Do my customers have to send the product back or can I provide a way for them to upgrade the software themselves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back