NEW information on JH-3a
Oct 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2,131 of 2,176
Quote:

Unfortunately we expected things to turn for the better not worse.  And it really got worse.  Who would have thought, imagined such... :frowning2: 

I saw the writing on the wall.

I also warned everyone about Singlepower, got put through the ringer for that, then…well we all know about the Singlepower disaster. 10's of thousands of $$$.

I am here to protect the members of Head-Fi, but it can be a thankless job at times. Yes, I want the Sponsors to be successful, especially the visionaries,
however, not at the expense of the members.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #2,132 of 2,176
Quote:

Unfortunately we expected things to turn for the better not worse.  And it really got worse.  Who would have thought, imagined such... :frowning2: 

I saw the writing on the wall.

I also warned everyone about Singlepower, got put through the ringer for that, then…well we all know about the Singlepower disaster. 10's of thousands of $$$.

I am here to protect the members of Head-Fi, but it can be a thankless job at times. Yes, I want the Sponsors to be successful, especially the visionaries,
however, not at the expense of the members.

Thank you! You are the first official person to offer support and that will be remembered by me in the future. I apologize in public for tarring you with the same brush, it was not right. Thank you for looking out for us, it is very reassuring someone is!

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #2,133 of 2,176
I posted meet impressions in the RMAF impressions thread on page 11, 12, or 13. Too annoying to copy and paste on a phone. Can't remember exactly which page but it should be one of those.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2,134 of 2,176
I wanted to let everyone know that I ended up getting a refund on my JH3a this past week also.  JH Audio was kind enough to let me return my unit in even though I've had it for the past 3 months.  Even though I stuck out all this time and thought the unit sounded quite good, there was just too much compromise and change in the project to make me feel good about my purchase. In the end I couldn't take it any longer and asked for a refund.  The check arrived in the mail and I'm using it to buy a 55" Samsung LED tv :)  Sounds like a good trade off to me especially considering I have a SR-009 / BHSE rig in the works :wink:

Best of luck for everybody else.  As immtbiker said, I strongly recommend people get their money back and wait it out a little.  I think there will be a whole lot less frustration once that people don't have their money invested in the project. I know that I had a very different perspective on my JH3a purchase once I decided to get a refund.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #2,135 of 2,176
Maxvla, thanks for posting your JH3A impressions

Can you elaborate as to how the JH3A compared with the UERM, which it seems you purchased based on listening to the demo at RMAF?  I'm sure quite a few eyebrows will be raised upon hearing that someone could hear the JH3A but then buy the UERM--assuming, of course, that sound quality was the key consideration.  If sound quality wasn't the primary consideration in your purchase, what were the other factors?

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2,136 of 2,176
I thought I covered that pretty well in the post, but the main factors were slight sibilance and requiring battery for the JH3a. The UERM was the clearest sound, best soundstage, not to mention best price for a flagship with the 20% RMAF deal. The bass was just a touch light I'm hoping that will improve with real customs.

When I tried the JH13 I thought they actually had borderline too much bass. I couldn't fathom anyone needing 16s and further boost those with the JH3a.

I tried the miracle, merlin, mage, ES5, JH13, JH3a w/16, and UERM. Details on those auditions later.

I should state that I do none of my listening as portable. Despite these all being highly portable they will be my main cans at home.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #2,139 of 2,176
Hmmmm ... so the one person who I've seen say something positive about the 3A (did I miss anyone??) -- also happened to vote with his wallet in another direction. 

Very eager to hear what Warp, JP, perhaps Jude and others say, especially since each of them either heard the original or had units in hand they were very pleased with. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #2,140 of 2,176
Please don't read too much into my purchase in a different direction. I knew going into listening that unless it just completely dominated the others the battery alone would cause me to purchase something else. I can't be limited to 6 hours of play time, but if the sound was good enough I might choose to deal with it somehow, and likely regret it later.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #2,141 of 2,176
I am absolutely staying with it, what I heard were mids better than the 3a I have, bass was tough to compare as demo tips are at a disadvantage. While I did not get sibilance with what I played I would like to see the top end opened up a bit to provide a better sense of air around the instruments. Jerry is still tweaking the eq so that is being addressed.

The amp units remain the same so all that needs to be done is to reflash the DSP with the final eq touches.

Both Jerry and Britney stated those that want refunds should just ask. Just speak up before the revised units ship.

While I am forging ahead I can get why someone after the false starts would want out given the emotional roller coaster ride.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #2,142 of 2,176
I was wondering if someone could clarify the comments about the use or need for an "adaptor" with the revised JH-3A. It sounds like it has something to do with using aftermarket cables but I am not sure at all. Can someone that understands the comments about the use of an adaptor explain how and where this adaptor would be needed?

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,143 of 2,176

Quote:
I am absolutely staying with it, what I heard were mids better than the 3a I have, bass was tough to compare as demo tips are at a disadvantage. While I did not get sibilance with what I played I would like to see the top end opened up a bit to provide a better sense of air around the instruments. Jerry is still tweaking the eq so that is being addressed.

Thank you, now I'm happy I didnt went for refund this week. Also because so man people give up, I hopefuly move much lower than I was at 34 :)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 16, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2,144 of 2,176
I was wondering if someone could clarify the comments about the use or need for an "adaptor" with the revised JH-3A. It sounds like it has something to do with using aftermarket cables but I am not sure at all. Can someone that understands the comments about the use of an adaptor explain how and where this adaptor would be needed?

With the passive crossover back in the earpieces, Jerry can now allow for the earphones to be used like a regular set of JH16's. Since the cable has 8 conductors (each side having hi/mid/low and a shared ground), Jerry is introducing this adapter that will convert that special, 8-pin connector for use with the JH-3A amp, into a typical-style 1/8" minijack plug.

So it's nothing to do with aftermarket cables specifically, but just allowing the JH-3A earphone's use with regular amps / media players.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #2,145 of 2,176

Quote:
The amp units remain the same so all that needs to be done is to reflash the DSP with the final eq touches.
Both Jerry and Britney stated those that want refunds should just ask. Just speak up before the revised units ship.
While I am forging ahead I can get why someone after the false starts would want out given the emotional roller coaster ride.

Good to hear JP,
 I have been listening to the origional setup for the last 2 hours, I am sticking with it as well. I will wait till all of the preorders have been filled before I send back my 3a for exchange.
I can understand everyones frustration,the thought of getting a refund crossed my mind a couple of tmes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back