New Inear Prophile-8
Aug 26, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #736 of 786
I think it's at least worth a demo. I thought the PP8 was the end of the rainbow for me. Then I demoed the UM Mest.
How would you compare those two? Is the UM mest better in every regard compared to the PP8? Is the UM meat also tuned neutral-musical but just with better bass and highs and maybe more soundstage?

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #737 of 786
Shout out to those still looking for a decent 3rd party alternative to the stock standard cable, that doesn't mess up the tonality - I can recommend based on my personal experience Hybrid Series IEM cable from @Matez & Forza Audioworks. Lows, mids and highs remain to my ears the same level as with the stock cable, there are no odd bumps in FR, yet lows/highs get a nice extension and image goes from 3-point to more 3D. Every cable is made to order and both SE and BAL options are available. Especially convenient for EU residents since the cables are assembled and shipped from Poland.

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #738 of 786
Shout out to those still looking for a decent 3rd party alternative to the stock standard cable, that doesn't mess up the tonality - I can recommend based on my personal experience Hybrid Series IEM cable from @Matez & Forza Audioworks. Lows, mids and highs remain to my ears the same level as with the stock cable, there are no odd bumps in FR, yet lows/highs get a nice extension and image goes from 3-point to more 3D. Every cable is made to order and both SE and BAL options are available. Especially convenient for EU residents since the cables are assembled and shipped from Poland.

Another obvious option would be Crystal Cable Dream Duet, perfect match with the PP8 - quite possibly the cleanest and most transparent and accurate sounding combo in the world, if you are into these things.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #739 of 786
Hi fellas, for a PP8 owner who also has the Z1R, is there any reason for me to get the u12t at all?

Clear and resounding NO. If you have the Z1R for musicality and would want a technical and ultimately neutral iem to complement that, the PP8 is the last word for that. U12t is more for the one-iem man who wants some neutrality but find PP8 too honest. In terms of sheer technicality the PP8 is still untouched after all these years IMO (admittedly partly because the market for this sort of super high fidelity gear is not too big).

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #742 of 786
And exactly 10x the price of Forza :) You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Yea see my sig - I paid what it's worth for the Dream Duet (and it's worth every penny of its asking price - and I seldom find those uber expensive golden blingy cables or the not-too-expensive copper-mix-silver ones worth the price) and I also paid nothing for my cable togo with my Z1R (stock). You can have your own budget but whether a cable got good synergy with an iem is totally regardless of price. Enjoy your Forza.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #744 of 786
I am fully with you on this. Just with the cable costing as much as the iem itself one needs to get over a certain psychological head-scratching barrier.

Cable prices are seriously discouraging these days. At least silver and copper are known best conductors around so I can understand well made ones could cost some serious money. The most head-scratching thing is why everyone seems to think the poor-conducting but blingy and jewelry-like gold/platinum/palladium sounds good.......for me they only add to the costs (tremendously!!) while only add weird artifacts to the sound.

But that's off topic I guess. Still love my PP8 after two years ownership - that's pretty close to my absolute ideal signature (when paired with the dream duet).

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #745 of 786
Cable prices are seriously discouraging these days. At least silver and copper are known best conductors around so I can understand well made ones could cost some serious money. The most head-scratching thing is why everyone seems to think the poor-conducting but blingy and jewelry-like gold/platinum/palladium sounds good.......for me they only add to the costs (tremendously!!) while only add weird artifacts to the sound.

But that's off topic I guess. Still love my PP8 after two years ownership - that's pretty close to my absolute ideal signature (when paired with the dream duet).
Actually... Gold is incredible for top class cables and connectors and can sound exceptionally well. It just has a different character. But silver conducts better and is cheaper. Best conductor funny enough is heavily corroded silver that is getting ugly black, but obviously it's impossible to sell due to aesthetics. But if your silver connectors are turning black, leave 'em alone :wink:

drftr

Nov 4, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #746 of 786
Actually... Gold is incredible for top class cables and connectors and can sound exceptionally well. It just has a different character. But silver conducts better and is cheaper. Best conductor funny enough is heavily corroded silver that is getting ugly black, but obviously it's impossible to sell due to aesthetics. But if your silver connectors are turning black, leave 'em alone :wink:

drftr

I have heard lots of gold infused or gold plated cables and connectors but almost never do I hear anything I find superior to their pure silver or copper counterparts...........but well cables are really personal things I guess. Because of what I heard I never felt the inflated price of gold involved cables justified.

Funny that you mention it.....Few people talked about the topic of oxidized cables..............I have no experience with oxidized silver but can positively testify I have handled a few really aged pure copper cables that are oxidized to various extents and they sound quite amazing.

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #747 of 786
Funny that you mention it.....Few people talked about the topic of oxidized cables..............
I've been selling high-end cables in a previous life and was close enough with Siltech developers that were always willing to share interesting observations and measurements. Some of their cables start from (please take a seat first and hold on tight...) $65,000 depending on the configuration, so you get the point :wink:

drftr

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #748 of 786
BTW the AZLA Crystals are the dream tip for the PP8 on all fronts - fit, seal, isolation, sound, comfort, durability, you name it. Do remember to either try or get one half size smaller than your usual size in order to aim for a deeper fit.

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #750 of 786
Did I pick up correctly (not sure whether it was on this thread) that the PP8 has a pressure relief vent?

Tnx...

drftr

Don't think there's one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back