New Inear Prophile-8
Jul 7, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #391 of 786
I'm thinking of buying these, I've got a couple of questions:
1) When used from a "bad" source (laptop, smartphone, ...), how silent are the PP8? Is there audible hiss? The 32 Ohm makes me assume they are silent, or at least fairly quiet.

2) How hard is it to get a proper seal with these?

3) These are fairly large IEMs, that's obvious. Would you say they are comfortable compared to other universals? Can you kinda use them while lying down in bed, or is it extremely uncomfortable?

1) I used them with my Samsung S6 and they were silent.

2) If you use the right tips then you'll get a perfect seal. I got a good seal using Comply's and Spinfits.

3) They were extremely comfortable and forgot they were in, I used them in bed without an issue.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #392 of 786
1) I used them with my Samsung S6 and they were silent.

2) If you use the right tips then you'll get a perfect seal. I got a good seal using Comply's and Spinfits.

3) They were extremely comfortable and forgot they were in, I used them in bed without an issue.

Thank you, that's quite reassuring. Looks like these might finally be the IEMs for me. Famous last words...?

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #394 of 786
anyone know where to buy these online? cant seem to find them anywhere...

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #397 of 786
Just put an order in for these. Currently I am just getting going in the hobby (though can't really afford a new hobby), and have a WM1Z driving Vegas. I like the Vegas, but have a few criticisms. They get muddy in the lower midrange on complex passages. Also, when instruments start heading into higher registers, they get a bit shrill. (Everything from violins to flutes to Hannah Reid's voice). At that point, the imaging tends to get compact and tonality isn't pleasant. I listen to all genres, but mainly love female vocals, hard bop, downtempo, and classical. I have been reading about VE8's, UM Maestro 2, W900's, etc. Ultimately (and partly by suggestion of Mimouille), I have decided to try these. Main reasons were that they are universal (I can sell if they aren't for me), less expensive, and if I've read correctly, are neutral without being thin, with emphasis on spatial characteristics and layering. I also do better on fit with shorter ear tubes.
I would be curious in people's comparisons to the other IEM's I mentioned. If I need a slightly warmer tone, I will be looking toward a custom VE8 or UM Maestro V2.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #398 of 786
I'll be getting my PP8 soon. I have not tried them before buying (unfortunately). The wait is pretty hard.

Now, I'm pretty confident that their sound signature will be what I'm looking for. The one thing that's worrying me right now is that, despite all the raving about how comfortable they are... after reading just about every forum post about these IEMs, I get the feeling that some people do in fact have a problem with the fit, and find them too large. I mean, there's a reason why 8 driver IEMs are usually customs, it's much easier to cram drivers in custom shells.

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #399 of 786
Anyone work with replacement cables for the PP8? I want a cable with a 4.4 balanced termination. Some reviews note that the InEar folks worked pretty hard with matching on the stock cable.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #401 of 786
Thanks to this thread I ordered the PP8's and they'll be delivered tomorrow. I own the Andromedas as well, and love them, but struggle with the multiple personalities you get from various sources due to their impedance requirements. Straight from my iPhone SE the tone is perfect, with Mojo I can't stand them without an IFI IEMatch, with Hugo 2 there is a little less overblown bass but I typically still use the IEMatch, with Woo WA8 the tone is vastly improved but the bass goes in the opposite direction and with the Sony ZX2 they are clean but still a little warm for my taste. That said, I probably won't sell the Andromedas but only use them in very noisy environments with my iPhone where an amp won't add much from a resolution standpoint.

I was considering placing a pre-order for the Questyle QP2R. Based on what I've read, it seems the PP8's pair nicely with the QP1R. I want to hear the PP8's as their designer intended. I want as little change in tone as possible and definitely NO ADDED WARMTH. Are the QP1R owners 100% pleased with the pairing, or concerned that the new version will be any different? I wish the QP2R supported Tidal but I'll sacrifice Tidal for SQ in this case.

Aug 3, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #402 of 786
One hour in and I am loving the PP8. Finally a truly reference sound that is consistent and hiss free from source to source. They sound as good or better than the Andros but the consistency (so far Hugo 2, Mojo and ZX2) is the icing on the cake. Plug and play with no eq or IEMatch is such a relief. My only complaint is this cheap feeling thin cable. I know it's made of high quality material and has been hand picked to fit the intended signature but it's a little disappointing from a tactile and visual standpoint. I wouldn't want to touch the tone but I'm of the mind that dynamics can always be incrementally improved.

Any suggestions backed by descriptions of what various cables add to the equation?

Aug 3, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #403 of 786
would love to hear some comparisons when you get some more time with them! I've got some andro's coming in the mail, and plan on trying out the pp8 soon as well. Thanks!

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #404 of 786
I've just received my PP-8's this week. First, the fit is remarkable. Extremely isolating and comfortable. By admission, I like a warm tone, and am a fan of bass. I have the CA Vega. I really like it for some music, but do find the soundstage a bit compressed, the bass quite round, and the upper registers a bit exaggerated at times. My goal in getting the PP-8 was to try a truly neutral and spacious universal IEM, especially for classical and female vocals. I will say the the soundstage is very nice, and I would characterize this iem as very resolving without sounding analytical. Spatial cues are very well preserved, and they handle complex passages well. I like a bit more chestiness in my lower midrange and vocals, so I turned the bass switch up and also played with the eq of my WM1Z slightly. With this, I am getting ample bass, some midrange warmth, and continued sense of air and transparency. The latter formula was what I've been looking for. I suspect I could find this in a VE8 or Tia Forte, but at a much greater cost.
I will say that a DD iem still holds my heart for piano and guitar. I am guessing that there may be a hifiman RE2000 in my future. I am also going to be looking at a new cable with a 4.4 balanced Jack.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #405 of 786
would love to hear some comparisons when you get some more time with them! I've got some andro's coming in the mail, and plan on trying out the pp8 soon as well. Thanks!

I can't add to the sound qualities beyond what has already been discussed on this thread by those that have more of a gift for reviewing than I do. I will say that my only issue with the Andromedas was the inconsistency of sound/tone, not necessarily dynamics, moving from source to source. So far the PP8 sound consistently as good or better than the Andros with their best pairing. I listen to all genres but my litmus test is classical. With the PP8 everything sounds life like with a wonderful natural timbre. The Andros can do that to but low impedance sources put a slight veil over the highs and the low end becomes unnaturally dominate. I'm only two hours in now but it seems clear it's a simple description. Reference... I can simply say even though they are very detailed, I can listen to my music without analyzing the performance of the equipment. I'm traveling and do not have my over the ears with me, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Very similar experience to my HD800S + Woo WA8. Reference, natural and enveloping. I like treble more than most and thought I would want to flip the high end switch on these but haven't felt the need to mess with the bass or treble. Sounds just right with the default Goldilocks setting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back