New Inear Prophile-8
Apr 8, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #361 of 786
So I've had my set for a couple of months now and I have to say, this is the reference signature I've been looking for. Reminds me of the Etymotic ER4XR but clearer, more transparent and much more resolving. The ProPhile-8 is one of the finest iems I've had opportunity to hear and quickly has become my go to iem (with Andromeda a close second).

Ah! Those two IEMs are the exact two I'm contempting over.

In your opinion, how far would put place the ER4XR from the Prophile 8?

I'm looking for a neutral sound signature and improvement over my Weston's W40 and others but I'm not entirely sure the ER4XR would out resolve them.

On the other hand, the Prophile 8s are 4 times the price of the ER4XR...

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #362 of 786

I've been enjoying them too for a few months but the more I read about the Andromeda/Vega, the more I'd like to try them. Is the Prophile-8 very close to Andromeda with the bass switches on or are there other differences of note? I know the Vega is a different beast altogether.

Andromeda is a little U shaped with it's emphasis in deep/sub bass. So the PP8 with switches on will have a fuller, more impactful bass versus the more emphasized deeper rumble of Andromeda. PP8 and Andromeda are just different enough for me to keep both. Andromeda sounds wider and airier, providing a more speaker like presentation. While it's treble is slightly enhanced, it's rendered beautifully and is one of my favorite treble presentations. Andromeda can get fairly close to a neutral presentation with the right source and output impedance but the PP8 is flatter still and much more reference. The PP8 excels in resolution and micro-dynamics compared to Andromeda. Small details are more easily deciphered and instruments are better defined within in their space. 

The Vega is really more for an audiophile basshead presentation. It has gobs of deep/sub bass. I had to place strips of silicone under the tips to create a makeshift front vent to tame the bass. Also it has a very sibilant peak that makes regular silicone tips a no go for many users. Foam tips are a must for many, myself included. 

Ah! Those two IEMs are the exact two I'm contempting over.

In your opinion, how far would put place the ER4XR from the Prophile 8?

I'm looking for a neutral sound signature and improvement over my Weston's W40 and others but I'm not entirely sure the ER4XR would out resolve them.

On the other hand, the Prophile 8s are 4 times the price of the ER4XR...

Signature/FR wise they are fairly close. The ER4XR has more diffuse field 2.5k presence and the PP8 shifts that more to 3.5k, so the Ety sounds a little smaller and more midcentric. IMO the ER4XR sounds closer to real life neutral than the ER4SR or older ER-4S, which sound more like neutral in an anechoic chamber (no reflections, no body gain, etc). However, while I like the signature of the ER4XR more, it doesn't quite have the same midrange clarity of it's Ety brothers, which is due to a higher midrange distortion profile around 1 or 2k. Also keep in mind that the Ety fit sucks. It's second bend fit that requires you to hold the top of your ear up and insert them very deep in the canal. Ety triple flange tips itched me way to much and comply P-Series gave the most comfort, which is still greatly lacking in comfort to me. The PP8 is worlds apart in terms of comfort- it fits much more shallowly and is easy to insert and remove quickly.  

I say all that to say, while signature wise the two will remind me of each other, the PP8 is really in a different league when it comes to separation, clarity, resolution, etc. However the ER4XR is excellent for the price point. PP8 is really, really expensive and I would never have bought it completely blind. Luckily I had a friend, who knows my preferences to a 'T', and he was able to get a listen and compare it to the UERM, which we both enjoy. He immediately thought the PP8 would be perfect for me. Perhaps the ER4XR is worth trying in your case, and if you vastly prefer it to the Westone but want better fit and improved performance, you could sell both to fund a PP8 purchase? 

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #364 of 786
@shotgunshane
 Are you planning to do a comparison between the PP8 and Perfect Seal Deca + AR6?

Eventually. Haven't had a lot of time lately but I do want to get around to a review with comparisons when time permits. Also, I should note I've updated by Deca to the optional bass enhanced version (original version is default and bass enhanced upon request).

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #365 of 786
  Andromeda is a little U shaped with it's emphasis in deep/sub bass. So the PP8 with switches on will have a fuller, more impactful bass versus the more emphasized deeper rumble of Andromeda. PP8 and Andromeda are just different enough for me to keep both. Andromeda sounds wider and airier, providing a more speaker like presentation. While it's treble is slightly enhanced, it's rendered beautifully and is one of my favorite treble presentations. Andromeda can get fairly close to a neutral presentation with the right source and output impedance but the PP8 is flatter still and much more reference. The PP8 excels in resolution and micro-dynamics compared to Andromeda. Small details are more easily deciphered and instruments are better defined within in their space. 

The Vega is really more for an audiophile basshead presentation. It has gobs of deep/sub bass. I had to place strips of silicone under the tips to create a makeshift front vent to tame the bass. Also it has a very sibilant peak that makes regular silicone tips a no go for many users. Foam tips are a must for many, myself included. 

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know, I'm off to Canada soon and will head to the Headphone bar to try both the Andro and Vega out. I'd more sub bass rumble so the Andro sounds like a good bet. Though intrigued by the Vega after all the reading up I've done on it, just to try something a bit different.

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #371 of 786
Hi, there
I am obsessed with the overall refinement of PP8. However, much to my disappointment, I don't think I experienced that natural sounding provided by UERR that made me feel the FR goes well beyond the range of 5-25k Hz as specified, which I regard as a key element for reproducing the recording ambient. I am eager to know if the combination of the merits of these two exists......

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #372 of 786
I'd like to share a few observations about the ProPhile 8 and high output impedances. InEar does show that a high driver count does not necessarily cause sensitive reactions to high output impedance sources. In graphics and numbers:

InEar ProPhile 8 web.jpg

The above picture shows the effects of growing output impedances. The top yellow line represents a 0 Ohm output while the below curves show 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and 64 Ohm. So even at 64 Ohm the ProPhile will sound only slightly darker compared to a low z source.
Outputs up to 3.6 Ohm will cause effects lower than or equal to 1dB of frequency response variation. That's quite fair for an 8BA IEM.

For comparison:

InEar StageDiver 2 web.jpg

The 2BA StageDiver 2 shows much bigger reactions to growing output impedances than the ProPhile 8. Only 2.0 Ohm will cause a frequency response variation of 1dB. Hence the ideal source for the SD2 should have a lower z output.

Edit: Wrong math fixed - sorry for that.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #375 of 786
How is it compared with sd4s?

Placed an order to SD4 initially and it's still otw. But out of curiosity went to try the PP8 again. Now I'm in delemma myself between the two. The SD4 is like being in a live concert (back stage position). I could feel the ambience of a concert hall performance. However perhaps due to the heavy emphasis of the bass, low frequency tunes seems to be slightly overdone.

The PP8 is like hearing perfect studio recording. After they've done their mixing from the various recording microphone the musix that comes out of the PP8 is just so sweet and clear.

I love going to live concert, especially classical ones. The SD4 is actually doing an excellent job in trying to mimic the sound of a live performance (not in the best presentation yet but still I could hear and imagine myself that it's a live concert).

However, the PP8 is another beauty on its own. It's easy on every music genre. Nice tonal balance. Greater detail as compared to SD4 but doesn't give that "live" performance ambience..

I'm still not sure which to decide. Given the price of PP8 is double of the SD4 it's something that been holding my decision as well..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back