NEW IN STOCK: beyerdynamic 3rd Gen T1 & T5 Headphones
Sep 9, 2020 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Audio46

Sponsor: Audio46
Audio46 is an Authorized Dealer of Beyerdynamic

beyerdynamic t1 3rd gen banner large.jpg

The 3rd generation of high-end Tesla headphones are here.

Get the T1 open-back or the T5 closed-back now at Audio46.

Audio46 Audio46 is the destination store in NYC to demo and buy headphone products. Stay updated on Audio46 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Audio46 https://twitter.com/Audio46NYC https://www.instagram.com/audio46/ https://audio46.com/ info@audio46.com
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 23
So, how are they different than the old T1.2 and T5p? What has improved and by how much? Why are these worth the money?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 23
We need 600 ohms in these and removable cables on all the DT range. You havent heard a beyer until you have heard a 600 ohm 880 balanced.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 23
We need 600 ohms in these and removable cables on all the DT range. You havent heard a beyer until you have heard a 600 ohm 880 balanced.

I doubt they'll release cool stuff like this, sadly.

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 23
T1.3 is open-back and sports those holes on the cups as part of design. But why the closed-back T5.3 is sporting the same but fake holes look on its fully closed cups? Not helping to visually distinguish two different products in the minds of first-time buyers at all.

pic_t5-3rd-generation_20-03_perspective_v1_1200x1200.jpg

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 23
The is T1.3 is 32 Ohms and sound quite different than the T1.2. They sound fuller, darker, and more dynamic.

so it’s a re release of the A&K T1P limited edition low impedance version of the original T1.
Think I’ll keep my gen 2 with THX 789

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 23
so it’s a re release of the A&K T1P limited edition low impedance version of the original T1.
Think I’ll keep my gen 2 with THX 789

Well there is different damping as well. But I haven't heard the T1p so not sure how it's driver is. The sensitivity rating on the T1.3 is different than the T1p which does indicate the driver is likely different.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 23
Well there is different damping as well. But I haven't heard the T1p so not sure how it's driver is. The sensitivity rating on the T1.3 is different than the T1p which does indicate the driver is likely different.

T1p is 32ohm as well. What’s the sensitivity difference?

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 23
T1p is 32ohm as well. What’s the sensitivity difference?

I am aware that the T1p is 32 ohm. The T1.3 is 100db whereas it's 102db on the T1p and T1 gen 2. This indicates that the driver is a bit different and it's not inferior to the T1.2 in terms of technicalities in my listening, in fact I find it more resolving than the T1.2 600 ohm driver.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 23
Major changes from last gen (T1.2), inferred from information available online and auditioning the headphone first hand:
  • 32 ohm driver with a redesigned coil former, which places the voice coil deeper in the magnet gap.
  • Thermoformed foam absorber over the driver and baffle, which effects a broadband reduction in the treble response.
There may be other, undisclosed tweaks done to the driver or pads which would not be possible for a layperson to determine. Beyer has not been open about changes introduced with the 3rd generation, including those above. The product description mentions only an increased bass response, without referencing any specific technologies or tweaks.

In terms of gross frequency response, the new version is darker and punchier, with less air. Whether this constitutes an "upgrade" will need to be evaluated, according to personal preference and gear, on a case-by-case basis. I certainly don't see it as a "must buy" for all T1.2 owners.

By far the biggest acoustic change is the foam treble absorber. While not a new concept, particularly when it comes to modding, this is the first time Beyer has made an overt move to significantly reduce the treble response of any of their headphones, as far as I know. It'll be interesting to see if this is a feature they trickle down to other product lines. It certainly seems to be effective, as my impression of the 8kHz treble peak now puts it about in line with the highest level in the bass registers--though it should be noted, all frequencies above 4-5kHz seem to be effected by this reduction, not just the peak.

The most controversial change is obviously the impedance. The 32 ohm driver does seem to be revealing, but also sensitive to gear. So, contrary to popular opinion, these are by no means "easy" headphones to drive compared to the 600 ohm version. The tonal character of your chain WILL have a major impact on the sound of this headphone, so careful attention to synergy will still be needed to get the best result according to sonic preferences.

I think the new tuning of the T1.3 will be somewhat polarizing among T1.2 owners, due to the darker tonality. Some will appreciate the warmer sound, while others will be unsatisfied with the loss of top octave air. Some may welcome the extra bass punch, while others will find it overdone. And obviously, a system optimized for the 600 ohm driver will likely need to be re-evaluted to get the best performance out of the 32 ohm version.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 23
Major changes from last gen (T1.2), inferred from information available online and auditioning the headphone first hand:
  • 32 ohm driver with a redesigned coil former, which places the voice coil deeper in the magnet gap.
  • Thermoformed foam absorber over the driver and baffle, which effects a broadband reduction in the treble response.
There may be other, undisclosed tweaks done to the driver or pads which would not be possible for a layperson to determine. Beyer has not been open about changes introduced with the 3rd generation, including those above. The product description mentions only an increased bass response, without referencing any specific technologies or tweaks.

In terms of gross frequency response, the new version is darker and punchier, with less air. Whether this constitutes an "upgrade" will need to be evaluated, according to personal preference and gear, on a case-by-case basis. I certainly don't see it as a "must buy" for all T1.2 owners.

By far the biggest acoustic change is the foam treble absorber. While not a new concept, particularly when it comes to modding, this is the first time Beyer has made an overt move to significantly reduce the treble response of any of their headphones, as far as I know. It'll be interesting to see if this is a feature they trickle down to other product lines. It certainly seems to be effective, as my impression of the 8kHz treble peak now puts it about in line with the highest level in the bass registers--though it should be noted, all frequencies above 4-5kHz seem to be effected by this reduction, not just the peak.

The most controversial change is obviously the impedance. The 32 ohm driver does seem to be revealing, but also sensitive to gear. So, contrary to popular opinion, these are by no means "easy" headphones to drive compared to the 600 ohm version. The tonal character of your chain WILL have a major impact on the sound of this headphone, so careful attention to synergy will still be needed to get the best result according to sonic preferences.

I think the new tuning of the T1.3 will be somewhat polarizing among T1.2 owners, due to the darker tonality. Some will appreciate the warmer sound, while others will be unsatisfied with the loss of top octave air. Some may welcome the extra bass punch, while others will find it overdone. And obviously, a system optimized for the 600 ohm driver will likely need to be re-evaluted to get the best performance out of the 32 ohm version.
Beyers already had too much air so punch is welcome for me. Besides there is Silver cables if someone feel the lack of air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back