New improved Senn PX100
Mar 2, 2006 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i read in another thread that sennheiser redesigned the drivers in the px100 and fixed the sound. i've searched but did not find any more info on this.

does anyone know if this is true, and how can you tell the difference between the new and old px100?

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 28
IIRC the new PX100s have a titanium driver, which gives them a much brighter sound than the old copper PX100s. The new ones come in white too.
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 28
i do like the white ones. they remind me of '80's vintage sony walkman headphones.

so there is no way to tell old stock from new?

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 28
if it's white it's definitely new. if it's black it's a toss up if it's new or old.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
alright then. now, has the sound really improved?

some folks like the older one "because it's bassier." others like the newer one because "it's not as muddy." ultimately it's a toss up which you would like more!

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 28
Mar 2, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i read in another thread that sennheiser redesigned the drivers in the px100 and fixed the sound. i've searched but did not find any more info on this.

does anyone know if this is true, and how can you tell the difference between the new and old px100?

It's true!

As I've been saying in a couple of places here lately, my new (almost 1 month old now) black PX100 sounds much better (to my ears & in a non-noisy home environment) than my 2 previous (1 year old) PX100's.

The fixes are more apparent in the midrange, which now sounds more smooth and coherent, richer, and no more dark. Then in the bass, which is now no more overwhelming in a quiet environment, while equally (or better?) extended. Finally in the treble, now sparklier and less rolled off.

Recommended!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
Hm. Any hint of similar clandestine updates to the PX200?

likely

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Quote:

Hm. Any hint of similar clandestine updates to the PX200?

likely

Would be interesting to get a comparison...

Any volunteers?

As for myself, I already have 2 pairs of the old stock that I don't wear, so the chances of me picking up a third are pretty slim (though I wouldn't put anything past me...)

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 28
I got a new pair of Px100's sometime around Janurary. It's the black version that i picked up brand new at A&B sound for 39.99, and up till now, the sound is still very dark. Im not sure if its the new, brighter drivers or still the old ones, but if these are the new ones, i really wonder how dark the old ones were.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 28
well i got my a month ago the white one...i have to thank jahn for the rec..
i love them...the high are crystal sharp and the bass fun...i would be interested in doing a comparo...cause if mine broke i would be sad and have to immediately buy more!..ps do small cans like these need "burn in" too? i kinda have my doubts..

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
well i got my a month ago the white one...i have to thank jahn for the rec..
i love them...the high are crystal sharp and the bass fun...i would be interested in doing a comparo...cause if mine broke i would be sad and have to immediately buy more!..ps do small cans like these need "burn in" too? i kinda have my doubts..

if you are supernice i can even provide you with the old black px100 with your cmoy for a comparo with your new white px100 - almost ready to pull the trigger, just PM me with the phrase *i will have larry send your new cans directly to you* and the joys of cheap portable audio will be on the way to you!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back