New IEM needed - max $60
Oct 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BlastAway

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Posts
16
Likes
0
Hey guys,
 
Like the topic title states, I'm looking for a new IEM.
 
There is so much choice and I don't know where to look, what to look for and so which IEM to choose.
 
The requirements the IEM has to suffice are: good isolation (I work in a factory, and so a loud environment), deep (natural) bass and the price can't be higher than $60.
 
Ofcourse I don't specifically need a $60 IEM, if a cheaper one suffices my requirements it's even better :)
 
I hope someone can help me out, because it's just too much, even here on the forum. When I finally think I found a good IEM, the isolation is bad..
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 15

H20Fidelity

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Posts
16,283
Likes
6,724
Well, I don't know how much 'natural' bass can possibly be summoned for $60 though I'd look at something like SoundMAGIC E10 if you want to spend less, ($35) Read some reviews and see what you think. I own a pair and they sound pretty damn good. Possibly worth twice their asking price. Comes with an assault of tips too to cover your fit and isolation needs.
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 15

BlastAway

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Posts
16
Likes
0
H20, looks good. Absolutely word the consideration if I look at them. Isolation seems to be very good, but does it provide a deep bass even when no tweaked with a equalizer?
 
I personally read some good stuff about the Sony MDR-EX310PLB.
 
Currently I possess the Sennheiser CX300 II and the Sony MDR-EX57. The Sennheiser offers excellent isolation, but the comfort isn't that great (IEM shells irritate the ear) and the sound is terrible (a tin can - like sound). The Sony MDR-EX57 has good clear mids and highs, but lacks bass and the isolation is terrinble -> the environmental noise is way too loud when wearing 'm.
 
Now I have the feeling the MDR-EX310PLB has the same problem. The back of the earbuds is open which makes it easy for noise to enter. The back of the buds of the Sennheisser is pretty much closed by the shells.
 
The soundmagic seems to be well isolated due to the fact the shells also close the back of the rubber earbuds. But is my statement correct for the ex310? Does it have good environmental noise isolation?
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 15

H20Fidelity

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Posts
16,283
Likes
6,724
The EX310 which I have owned as well has average isolation. They're worn the same way as EX600 / EX1000 the whole series is not popular in that field. They do however sound very nice though funnily enough I had both EX310 and E10 at the same time, and one had to go. I chose the E10. They're slightly bass focused without EQ having some rumble but it depends entirely on what you've heard too. I have also owned CX300i. E10 was a step up for me......
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 15

ZARIM

IP address matches SNOOP_DOGG and HFAUDIOPHILE.
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Posts
4,463
Likes
66
The JVC FX3X (rich deep punchy bass and its very high quality), Sony EX310 (surprisingley clean and detailed with dynamic punchy bass but need long burn in), Turbine (deep reverbing bass with good isolation), RE0 (superbley detailed IEMs for the price with good bass extention but not bassheavy), Harmen Kardon NI, SOL Republic AMPs, AMPs HD and Poineer CL521 are good buy under this budget and they all offers rich punchy bass with above average isolation, BTW where are you located.
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 15

BlastAway

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Posts
16
Likes
0
Quote:
The EX310 which I have owned as well has average isolation. They're worn the same way as EX600 / EX1000 the whole series is not popular in that field. They do however sound very nice though funnily enough I had both EX310 and E10 at the same time, and one had to go. I chose the E10. They're slightly bass focused without EQ having some rumble but it depends entirely on what you've heard too. I have also owned CX300i. E10 was a step up for me......


So I did some more research and came to the following conclusion:
 
- Soundmagic E10
- Astrotec AM-90
- Brainwavz Proalpha
- Dunu DN-12
 
One of those 4.
 
To make things easy I would just like to know one thing: is the isolation of the E10 at least as good as the sennheiser CX300?
 
If so, the soundmagic will be my choice. Reviews state the Dunu has good bass and isolation, but the comfort isn't good (after a long period of wearing they start to irritate). The Brainwavz is a dynamic IEM but reviews state it lacks some bass and the Astrotec is a BA IEM which technically lacks deep bass.
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 15

BlastAway

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Posts
16
Likes
0
Quote:
SoundMagic E10s are good for the price and have pretty good isolation.
 
For the most superior isolation I have experienced to date... I just picked up a new pair of IEMs for 35 that are awesome. They are called AirBuds check out the review here:
 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630347/review-airbuds-iems-comfort-and-quality-for-a-great-price
 


You got me interested, but unfortunately the company doesn't seem to ship to Europe (I live in the Netherlands). It really is an interestering IEM
 
Got a question anyway: the Airbud has an inline mic with control. One of the known facts is that an inline mic, inline control or the combination is a weak point for IEM's. It often causes one of the ear pieces to stop working. Do you think this IEM won't have that same problem?
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 15

Nochaunceinell

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Posts
63
Likes
11
The mic is so small and compact that I doubt damage caused to it will cause damage to one ear. I use mine to work out in and so far there has been no problems whatsoever
 
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 15

H20Fidelity

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Posts
16,283
Likes
6,724
To make things easy I would just like to know one thing: is the isolation of the E10 at least as good as the sennheiser CX300?

.


It's been a while since I've used CX300, off memory I believe they had a slight advantage in isolation over E10. However my friend owns a pair and they said once music is playing they can't hear traffic going past unless they really think about it, they also mention they're very comfortable. What I recommend is go for the E10, then with some money you have left over purchase some of these foam tips in or S/M/L. They will work very similar to industrial foam ear plugs and boost isolation greatly.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/earbud-replacement-tips-tip-ear-earphone-memory-foam-SMALL-MEDIUM-LARGE-/160837891193?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2572af7479
 
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 15

Nochaunceinell

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Posts
63
Likes
11
Quote:
I don't know.. the E10 is $35 and free shipping. Shipping from US to NL costs about $15. The airbud costs 40$ + 15 = $55. Is the Airbud worth the extra $20?
 


I am not sure, I would say Yes, they are worth the extra $$ personally.  I would gladly pay 20$ more compared to the E10.    They were also running a promotion for 20% off entire order recently. I believe the coupon code is FamilyFriends123. not sure if they are still running it though
 
Oct 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 15

EddyCassian

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2012
Posts
1
Likes
0
Greetings to all,
 
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd continue this one, especially since I'm not particularly knowledgeable in the area.  I'm also looking for some noise isolating in-ear buds, however I don't want to buy ones with heavy bass. I'd like to have a clear, well balanced sound output, especially at low-mid volumes (I quite dislike blasting music through headphones). Although I guess that is where the noise isolation comes in. Durability is also quite important, seeing how I'm nearly always on the move.
 
I've been thinking of the  MEElectronics M11P+, what do you guys think? Any better recommendations? Much like BlastAway my budget is in the 40-60 dollar range.
 
Cheers,
 
Eddy
 
Oct 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #15 of 15

BlastAway

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Posts
16
Likes
0
Quote:
It's been a while since I've used CX300, off memory I believe they had a slight advantage in isolation over E10. However my friend owns a pair and they said once music is playing they can't hear traffic going past unless they really think about it, they also mention they're very comfortable. What I recommend is go for the E10, then with some money you have left over purchase some of these foam tips in or S/M/L. They will work very similar to industrial foam ear plugs and boost isolation greatly.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/earbud-replacement-tips-tip-ear-earphone-memory-foam-SMALL-MEDIUM-LARGE-/160837891193?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2572af7479

 
Ye that's exactly what I need. Great tip will use it :)
 
 
Quote:
I am not sure, I would say Yes, they are worth the extra $$ personally.  I would gladly pay 20$ more compared to the E10.    They were also running a promotion for 20% off entire order recently. I believe the coupon code is FamilyFriends123. not sure if they are still running it though

To be honest, I don't want to go through all that trouble and make that company go through all that trouble. For that money I can almost buy two E10's, or look at a higher segment of IEM's. Besides that I don't feel like going through all that trouble + pay more while the E10 might be less but still suffices my requirements.
 
If I lived in the US I would've gone with the Airbud though, so a great tip for the US folks around here who like great isolation and sound for a reasonable price.
 
 
Quote:
Greetings to all,
 
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd continue this one, especially since I'm not particularly knowledgeable in the area.  I'm also looking for some noise isolating in-ear buds, however I don't want to buy ones with heavy bass. I'd like to have a clear, well balanced sound output, especially at low-mid volumes (I quite dislike blasting music through headphones). Although I guess that is where the noise isolation comes in. Durability is also quite important, seeing how I'm nearly always on the move.
 
I've been thinking of the  MEElectronics M11P+, what do you guys think? Any better recommendations? Much like BlastAway my budget is in the 40-60 dollar range.
 
Cheers,
 
Eddy

 
Well reading this I'd say go check this baby: Astrotec AM-90
 
Check the reviews, the reviewers really seem to love it.
 
The airbud is also something to look at. Though I do think the Astrotec fits you more due to your heavy bass dislike.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top