New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Aug 9, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #152 of 584
I need a new dac/amp combo, after having the e17 and having my main rig as a MF v90 dac+ gustard h10 i need something for my workplace, and to use with iems, i dont have many so im wondering if this is worth the price comparing to cheaper combos, as IEM's i have the following:

JVC fxt200ltd (my fav)
MEE a151P
RHA 750i
Brainwavz 0
Piston 2
Piston 3
Dunu Titan (cant use these at work, every1 will listen what i hear :p)

Thinking of giving fidue a73 ot altone 200 a shot in a couple of months the 2000j will have to wait longer.

If you guys think these kind of cheaper iems wont take a great advantage from this combo then i will go for a cheaper alternative, at work i use a laptop thats always plugged in when im there.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #153 of 584
I wonder how the D14 fares against the modded DX90 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #156 of 584
Sorry can you specify how the DX90 has been modded?

Out of curiosity I checked out his posts in DX90 thread and came with the following quote from that guy:

"The affected parts are: Common power supply. DAC power supply. Current-to-voltage converters. Output buffers. Removed redundant decoupling capacitors."

I wonder how the D14 fares against the modded DX90 
confused_face_2.gif

It's hard to understand how is it possible to compare both devices as they are totally different in their purpose where

DX90:
1. Source+DAC+Amp
2. Source only
3. Source+DAC only

D14:
1. DAC+Amp
2. DAC only
3. Amp only

I think you will hear the difference if you use D14 in Amp only mode to drive your headphones coupled with DX90 in Source+DAC mode. Although I don't think the difference will be huge.

Also I don't see the reason using D14 in DAC+Amp mode with DX90 being the Source only because they have the same DAC chips.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #157 of 584
They have the same chip but different design. The D14 only has one chip, but is still superior to the DX90 DAC

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #158 of 584
They have the same chip but different design. The D14 only has one chip, but is still superior to the DX90 DAC

I may sound skeptic but I don't believe one will hear any difference in any same type DAC implementations especially between same brand devices.

How did you test DACs anyway in both D14 and DX90. Did you do a clean DAC only test by avoiding Amp circuits in D14 and DX90 by using an external independent amplifier?

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #159 of 584
Exactly. I ran D14 DAC > D14 amp then DX90 DAC > D14 amp. The difference is obvious. Not just detail or whatever, but even something as basic as signature. D14 is a little brighter up top

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #160 of 584
Exactly. I ran D14 DAC > D14 amp then DX90 DAC > D14 amp. The difference is obvious. Not just detail or whatever, but even something as basic as signature. D14 is a little brighter up top

[scientist-hat-on]
Wouldn't it be fairer if the amp used was truly independent from the test like a different brand?

By using the D14 amp you would automatically be biased for the D14 DAC setup as it would be designed to work in that pairing - (shorter path circuits, no doubt iBasso tested & developed the D14 DAC to pair with the D14 Amp etc.)
[/scientist-hat-on]

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #161 of 584
Just received mine, I need some help though.

1) I run Windows 8.1 x64, and when connecting as a USB dac, the ibasso is not showing up as a playback device in the audio options. Windows shows the driver ibasso setup upon connection to the pc. I missing a driver, is this device not compatible as a plug and play device with my version of windows?

2) my dx90 is pretty silent in the background hiss department with my various IEMS, but with the d14 the hiss is very noticeable using the high gain setting..anyone else having this issue?

3) mine has a very disagreeable turn off pop with the IEMS or closed back headphones. Do I have a broken unit, or is this just a common turn off for powerful portable headphone amps? I have to take my headphones/IEMS out before turning it off.

Thanks for the help

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #162 of 584

1) I run Windows 8.1 x64, and when connecting as a USB dac, the ibasso is not showing up as a playback device in the audio options. Windows shows the driver ibasso setup upon connection to the pc. I missing a driver, is this device not compatible as a plug and play device with my version of windows?

2) my dx90 is pretty silent in the background hiss department with my various IEMS, but with the d14 the hiss is very noticeable using the high gain setting..anyone else having this issue?

3) mine has a very disagreeable turn off pop with the IEMS or closed back headphones. Do I have a broken unit, or is this just a common turn off for powerful portable headphone amps? I have to take my headphones/IEMS out before turning it off.

Thanks for the help

I believe you need to download and install a driver from the iBasso website for use with Windoze. Perhaps a Windoze user can give you some step-by-step help.

With IEM's, using high gain is likely overkill. I have never used high gain for any of my phones, IEM or over-ear.

The turn-off pop you hear is normal. They all do this.

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #163 of 584

Thanks for the help

1. I have Win8.1. Just dowload the driver from iBasso website and D14 will be recognized as a soundcard.

2. Set gain to low as HiFlight has said.

3. It's not broken. It's a turn on/off switch combined with volume control and you don't need to take your IEMs out every time you turn on/off the device.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #165 of 584
Hi guys,

My iphone 5s displays a warning that the ibasso requires too much power, and it wouldn't play through it. I used the same CCK and cable on the ALO International side by side and no prob at all. It also works well with ny macbook pro, both thru USB and optical. The iphone obviously recognizes it but refuses to pair.

Anything wrong with what i'm doing? Or should i just send the ibasso back to the my friend who's selling it?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back