New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Aug 5, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #136 of 584
Is it possible to use this as a transportable set up with my laptop? I want to keep it connected to my mac and occasionally use it with my cellphone. Is there a way to run it off of USB power without overcharging the battery? 

Absolutely! The D14 works great as a usb soundcard.

The battery already has overcharge protection so you dont need to worry about frying the battery. You can alsp charge the D14 via both your laptop and smartphone so you should be set!

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #137 of 584
Absolutely! The D14 works great as a usb soundcard.

The battery already has overcharge protection so you dont need to worry about frying the battery. You can alsp charge the D14 via both your laptop and smartphone so you should be set!

I initially wasn't interested in the D14 but some people urged me to take a second look and I am glad I did. Thanks for the confirmation! Any chance you might be able to compare to the Oppo HA2? 

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #138 of 584
I initially wasn't interested in the D14 but some people urged me to take a second look and I am glad I did. Thanks for the confirmation! Any chance you might be able to compare to the Oppo HA2? 

That would he a question for HiFlight. He has both D14 and HA2. He did say earlier on in the thread that he kept the D14 over the HA2. I dont know his direct comparison though

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #139 of 584
During the last two days I've been testing the following two same tier DAC chips:

• Burr-Brown PCM1792A implemented in Fiio X5
  • Sabre32 ES9018K2M implemented in iBasso D14

I used a standalone balanced amplifier iBasso PB2 modded with MUSES01 opamps and LT1028ACN buffers in both cases to receive and amplify the sound to balanced headphones Beyerdynamic DT-150.

For listening sessions I used various music genres: DSBM, Black, Death, Doom, Heavy Metal and Hard Rock, Classic Old School Rock including Art Rock and Progressive Rock, Acoustic, Instrumental and Orchestral music.

I did not expect it to be that hard so I had to invite my wife to participate in the process as I found the differences between the two so tiny so I was not really sure. I had certain conclusions but wanted somebody else to speak about them first before I voiced my point of view. At the end we shared the same opinion.

Both of the DACs are great and there's definitely NO winner - no one is better than the other. They are on par from the SQ perspective but different in sound signature and would be best suited for different music genres.

Burr-Brown PCM1792A for example gives spacious atmospheric and natural sound which would suit more for Classic Old School Rock, Art Rock and Progressive Rock, Acoustic, Instrumental, Orchestral music and so on.

Sabre32 ES9018K2M gives more punchy forward controlled sound with tighter beats which I considered to be more suitable for something heavier like Heavy Metal and Hard Rock and other extreme Metal genres.

Can anyone share my observations or have a different point of view?

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #140 of 584
I'm sending my D14 off to @nmatheis for a bit for him to have a listen. He's got quite a few new portable devices with him currently so I thought it would be good to get some comparisons from him!

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #141 of 584
  I'm sending my D14 off to @nmatheis for a bit for him to have a listen. He's got quite a few new portable devices with him currently so I thought it would be good to get some comparisons from him!

i managed to find a local iBasso dealer but they don't have the D14 yet. I wish iBasso would have a loaner program for auditioning and such 

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #142 of 584
I actually initially asked them for a tour. It seems ibasso r a bit concerned with the inconsistency in the reviewers when its a tour where people just sign up, and felt that sending just a few units to a couple reviewers was a better option

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #143 of 584
I actually initially asked them for a tour. It seems ibasso r a bit concerned with the inconsistency in the reviewers when its a tour where people just sign up, and felt that sending just a few units to a couple reviewers was a better option

I don't blame them to be honest. Its just that it would be much easier to commit to a purchase if I have an idea of how it sounds after hearing it. The reviews have been very helpful but nothing beats trying it out for yourself :)

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #144 of 584

I don't blame them to be honest. Its just that it would be much easier to commit to a purchase if I have an idea of how it sounds after hearing it. The reviews have been very helpful but nothing beats trying it out for yourself :)

I always thought that you can buy it and then if you don't like it you could return it, is it not?

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #148 of 584
Can anyone compare this to dacamp one? Would love to get some details
Thanks

If you are referring to the Tralucent, DAC/Amp One, the D14 has a coax input, the Tralucent has an optical input. Both have USB inputs. The Tralucent resolves 96 kbps vs full DSD for the D14. The Dac/Amp is a bit warmer overall whereas the D14 has more detail and more precise imaging. It is also about half the price as the DacAmp One.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #149 of 584
If you are referring to the Tralucent, DAC/Amp One, the D14 has a coax input, the Tralucent has an optical input. Both have USB inputs. The Tralucent resolves 96 kbps vs full DSD for the D14. The Dac/Amp is a bit warmer overall whereas the D14 has more detail and more precise imaging. It is also about half the price as the DacAmp One.

Thanks for your time hiflight.
Hmm, I'll have to think.
I do have to say though tralucent products are in their own league, t1, 1+2, ref1, they make few products and each leaves it's own mark, they're nobility, well kind of.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #150 of 584
Thanks for your time hiflight.
Hmm, I'll have to think.
I do have to say though tralucent products are in their own league, t1, 1+2, ref1, they make few products and each leaves it's own mark, they're nobility, well kind of.

I feel the same as you, having owned the T1, Ref 1 and the DAC/Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back