New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Aug 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #526 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Id want to use this amp with Ultrasones proline 650 and aill also be getting some hfi2200 or pro 2500s, anyone have any comments on how it sounds with these head phones

All three of those phones sound very good with the I+. I personally like the Mullard M8100 and Mullard EF91 with them.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #527 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Id want to use this amp with Ultrasones proline 650 and aill also be getting some hfi2200 or pro 2500s, anyone have any comments on how it sounds with these head phones

The LD I+ has the current to drive my pro 2500 very well. I have lots of hours on the ultrasone...big tight deep bass and good detail to the high end. The mids are brought out with more current so the 408A family of tubes works best for the ultrasone HP's. Currently with Sylvannia Gold 408 and its a great match up. I did not like the 5654/EF95/403B family of tubes with the pro2500, as although the bass was good, the trebles/mids got weaker and there was loss of detail ( these tubes have the least amount of gain or current draw of the three family of tubes that can be used) The EF95's ( Sylvania 6AK5 round getters black plates) were excellent for my ESW9's tho with good detail highs and tight bass.

The third family of tubes: EF92/EF91/6AM6 ( has the middle amount of gain or current) I would describe as the warm /tubey tubes...with very good mids and I found the Mullard tubes to be very good so far with the Grado HF2 that I just got. But I think I will switch back to the 408's to hear if it can be more linear across the sound spectrum.

The LD I+ is definitely tune-able...
biggrin.gif

BTW I find the LD I+ to sound better than the Pico's hp amp out, although I use the Pico as the dac to the LD.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #528 of 805
Howdy HeatFan!

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #529 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy HeatFan!

Hi tako

Hope everything has been well. Again, many thanks for the great advice on the Pro2500s last year. Love them....

At first, it was solid state for them. Until one day I had some EF91s in the I+ and plugged them in. Very nice tight sound. Mids were even more present without being sluggish and the bass was still defined. The tailoring to particular headphones with this little amp has been very rewarding.

beerchug.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #530 of 805
I've had the LD 1+ since it came out and this is what I have observed. This amp works great with low imped. phones (Grado's and my K701). In fact David told me this is what the amp was made for with low imped. phones in mind. Of all the tubes I've tried the Mullard M8161 (EF92) was the best sounding tube to me. IMHO!!! Little Dot customer service, second to none.

David

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #531 of 805
If I opted for the LD I+ as my headphone amp, which headphones go better with it? The Senn HD600 or the Grado SR325is.

I listen to rock, blues, reggae... I like "warm" sounds...

Also, how does LD I+ compare with HiFiMAN EF2 and the LD MK III?

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #532 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well when you receive it, I am very interested on how they sound together.

Sure, I will let you guys know my impressions.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #533 of 805
Just purchased one to replace the CMOY I blew up yesterday (OOOOOPS!). Will be used to drive a pair of Grado SR225.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #535 of 805
So here's a short story...

I've been ready to sell this amp. You can see my high-impedance setup in my sig, and since I sold my Denon D2000's I haven't had use for the I+. And either way, I thought it was an okay amp, outshined by the HeadRoom Cosmic which synergizes well with my HD600's.

Well, my better half bought me Grado SR60i's as a gift and I had tried it out of every headphone jack I have, including the Cosmic amp. Then I decided to try hooking up this amp with WE408A's + LT1364 again, since I remember many people commenting on the wonderful synergy with Grados. This combo is absolutely magical. I don't think this amp will be leaving my house anytime soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Warm, full-bodied sound comes to mind. Very wide and pretty deep soundstage, details from lows to highs are superb. Timbre of instruments is just magical.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #536 of 805
Yeah this amp is really a gem with low sensitivity HP's and can be tuned easily.

I made a suggestion for the I+ on a thread requesting ideas to amp the grado HF2's and it was promptly ignored. The OP of the thread went for the much more expensive mappletree...which is a great grado amp. But being from china and cheap...it is often not taken seriously.

I tell you tho it sounds great with my Grado HF2. I have compared it with my ZDT and although the ZDT is definitely better...the Little Dot is not embarassed.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #537 of 805
After 5 months of messing with this fine little amp,
Three op amps
Four sets of valves,
I am now using an A2107 op and Mullard EF92
cv4015/m8161 valves.
Talk about smooth, trebles tamed ,

and i nearly have a soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

Amp and phones are now staying.phew,at last.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #538 of 805
Just got this amp in last week and I am more than happy so far. Just using the stock tubes and op amp for now until I can save some more money. They really do compliment the grados nicely. I think the nicest part has to be that the sr-80s highs aren't fatiguing any more. Also David is stellar to deal with. Wasn't sure bought buying off ebay but he made it easy. Fast e-mail responses and great shipping.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #540 of 805
Which one of these opamps is the right kind for the LDI+? Or would any of them work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back