New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Dec 2, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #439 of 805
Would the LDI+ be a good match for my DT770/250's? I am currently using an upgraded Zero HP amp. Just wondering how much of an improvement I will notice with the LDI+. How does it stack up to other amps in a similar price range. How much difference would you notice from higher end amps? Sorry for the novice/loaded questions.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #440 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the LD I+ amp with Ultrasones? I'm considering getting the version with Western Electric W03A tubes to use with my proline 550s.

I would recommend getting the base version with Chinese 6J1 tubes and get the WE 408A after-market on the 'bay, it's not only cheaper that way and also allows you to have matched tubes from reputable sellers since LD doesn't match tubes that they put on their amps.

- DoA

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #441 of 805
Hey guys, just an update.

I went down to the local Dick Smiths and picked up some isopropyl alcohol cleaning fluid and it works great
smily_headphones1.gif
no more annoying crackling when I'm trying to enjoy my music.

I have a question though, would the LD I+ work OK with higher impedance headphones? I know that they are designed for low impedance headphones but if i do eventually get a 300ohm pair of headphones, they would still be able to drive them right? Just not as well some other more ideal amps?

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #442 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend getting the base version with Chinese 6J1 tubes and get the WE 408A after-market on the 'bay, it's not only cheaper that way and also allows you to have matched tubes from reputable sellers since LD doesn't match tubes that they put on their amps.

- DoA

Ah, ok.

The reason I quoted the WE tube config was because thats the configuration I was on the audio store's website (Mingo in HK for anybody wondering). Maybe they stock the standard config I+ as well.

The funny thing is, the MKII isn't that far apart from the I+ in price, so which one? I'll be using it with Ultrasone Porline 550s, but will be getting Sennehiser HD650s and Edition 9s in the future (unless something extra tasty comes up).

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #443 of 805
I've read on this exact thread, that the mkII is more classic, kinda warm tube -sounding, in oppose to a dynamic and very punchy little thing called I+.

Depends what you like really. I'm sorry for a non-informative post, since i can't give you any feedback on Ultrasone's... I've not very much experience with them.
The differences between tubes outcome in the same way between all of my phones.. (punchy/dynamic tube improves that attribute of the phones etc.)
So I can try recommending you different tubes, based on your sound-preference.

-K

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #444 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, just an update.

I went down to the local Dick Smiths and picked up some isopropyl alcohol cleaning fluid and it works great
smily_headphones1.gif
no more annoying crackling when I'm trying to enjoy my music.

I have a question though, would the LD I+ work OK with higher impedance headphones? I know that they are designed for low impedance headphones but if i do eventually get a 300ohm pair of headphones, they would still be able to drive them right? Just not as well some other more ideal amps?

Hi -

I cannot recommend this amp with high impedance phones. It just didn't have enough juice to drive either my HD580s or AKG K601s. Definitely made for lower impedance phones for sure .... sounded best with my Denon 1001s!

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #445 of 805
I´ve tried a pair of Sennheiser HD650 which are 300Ohm on my LD I+ (with WE408A & Stock opamp) and I didn´t have any trouble, getting high enough volume or any apparent sonic faults, might not have been ideal, but I wouldn´t mind using a pair of HD650s on my LD I+, and this was with the gain set to Low, as I normally use my W5ks with the amp, and with those I can´t even turn the volume past the 10 mark.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #446 of 805
The I+ sounds fine with my HD650 as well, it's not exactly as good as the MkIII but it's much much better than any cmoy's ever managed to sound in my system. For reference I used to listen extensively with the Penguin Royal caffeine amp that's a boutique cmoy amp that sold for $100.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #447 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by blynch1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone try this with D2000? If so does it have a good synergy with them?

Also, can can anyone give me a comparison of the I+ with the starving student and/or the millet max.

Seconding this.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #448 of 805
Sigh* Bad news guys, the crackling has come back and has not stopped, even though i have tried cleaning the tube pins with isopropyl alcohol 3 times now.

Does this mean i need to a "proper" electronics cleaner? Like deOXIT? But i can't find that in Australia, unless i order it online but shipping will take a while.

I've been down to DickSmith and they really don't have anything suitable..

Are there any Aussies here that know where to buy a cleaner that will solve the crackling? ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #450 of 805
I have some Markl Modded D2000's, and IMO the synergy is great with this amp. There is more than enough juice in this thing to handle complex bass pasages with these phones. No muddy bass. Nice channel separation.

I just swapped in some 408a tubes in place of the stock tubes, and my intial impressions are that they tighten up the bass and bring the upper mids to the forefront.

I have never heard my Grados sound as good either. This amp is a great deal for low impedance phones. Especially with the Live search discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back