New HTC One M8 audio review
Jul 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #526 of 874

Thanks for your response. Also could you please let me know which model M8 you are using? I'm from India and here we have 2.5 Ghz model (US has got 2.3 Ghz model). I feel even there will be change in DAC

I'm using european model. I think they all have the same dac and amp. There's only a difference in CPU frequency between both S801 SoCs.

Regards 
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #529 of 874
Hope at some point somebody can measure the output impedance of an European unit. As a balanced armature user if the 9ohm figure turns out to be true then it's a no go for me.

I find odd that it has less bass than my iPhone 5s with the balanced armatures i have plugged to it (Westone UM3x, Westone 3 and TDK BA200).

Password must contain at least one capital letter, the meaning of life, 14 of your favorite baby names, the Hamlet plot summary and a hug.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #531 of 874
Sense 4.4.2 compared to any version of GPE sounds equal. However, Sense 4.4.3 comes with new audio drivers which provide a more refined sound with better detail and zero crackling. So, Sense all the way!

I'm loving the SQ of this phone, specially with the new update.

Regards, mates :beyersmile:  

Can anyone else verify the crackling in the HTC M8 gone after updating to 4.4.3???

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #532 of 874
Sense 4.4.2 compared to any version of GPE sounds equal. However, Sense 4.4.3 comes with new audio drivers which provide a more refined sound with better detail and zero crackling. So, Sense all the way!

I'm loving the SQ of this phone, specially with the new update.

Regards, mates :beyersmile:  

Can anyone else verify the crackling in the HTC M8 gone after updating to 4.4.3???

I've tried 2.12.401.3 (firmware & rom) yesterday and nothing has changed. It's still playing with the same crackling on certain tracks at high volume.

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #534 of 874
Simma, are you using stock kernel from 2.12.401.3? I'm using MaximusHD 6.0.1 which comes with updated stock kernel, where new audio drivers are. SkyDragon ROM comes with SkyDragon kernel (Based on 4.4.2 kernel source) without new audio drivers so that might be your case.

On 2.12.401.3 I feel the improvements in audio. Maybe there's still a little little bit of crackling, but it's minimum! I love how this phone sounds with my VSonic GR07...

Regards, mate :wink:

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #536 of 874
Simma, are you using stock kernel from 2.12.401.3? I'm using MaximusHD 6.0.1 which comes with updated stock kernel, where new audio drivers are. SkyDragon ROM comes with SkyDragon kernel (Based on 4.4.2 kernel source) without new audio drivers so that might be your case.

On 2.12.401.3 I feel the improvements in audio. Maybe there's still a little little bit of crackling, but it's minimum! I love how this phone sounds with my VSonic GR07...

Regards, mate :wink:

Yes, I've been using that same rom with its stock kernel. With my Fischer Amps IEMs, I also don't have a problem with crackling (never had it before though), but with less sensitive headphones it's the same amount as before.

Cheers.

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #538 of 874
Yes, I've been using that same rom with its stock kernel. With my Fischer Amps IEMs, I also don't have a problem with crackling (never had it before though), but with less sensitive headphones it's the same amount as before.

Cheers.

Do you think the HTC M8 will give me problems with the out-of-the-box audio quality using my RHA 750 IEMs?

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #539 of 874

Cheers.

Do you think the HTC M8 will give me problems with the out-of-the-box audio quality using my RHA 750 IEMs?

Can't really say. I have two pairs of 16ohm IEMs (same as yours) and they are both fine. Tried some westone W40s (31 ohm) and had occasional crackling with those.

I would guess they will be OK, but you should really try it out before buying (or buy with option to return it).

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #540 of 874
No problem with my stock HTC One M8 whatsoever with whichever IEM I tried with it. 

Problem comes when people start flashing the phone using non-official firmware/rom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back