New HTC One M8 audio review
Jul 4, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #511 of 874

I tested them out after using only my HRT Microstreamer and Shure SE535 with the M8 for about 2 months. I got a chuckle out of it. They sound really weird compared to what I am used to. Like listening to an old AM radio or something.

I haven't heard shures before but have read they're mid centric so I can imagine you would think it's tinny lol
It's just I've only recently opened and am quite surprised they're not too far off my fx850s

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #512 of 874
The Shures have a more open and balanced sound. It's a pretty dramatic difference. Not a knock to the M8 headphones because they are free but they are miles apart. A tin can is a good comparison, lol. I sound like a jerk but a tin can is pretty much what they sound like in comparison.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #513 of 874
  The Shures have a more open and balanced sound. It's a pretty dramatic difference. Not a knock to the M8 headphones because they are free but they are miles apart. A tin can is a good comparison, lol. I sound like a jerk but a tin can is pretty much what they sound like in comparison.

What I meant was there much difference using the native DAC headset output versus the external usb DAC as far as SQ.  I have the same headphones, using a Note 2 with voodoo and it is quite good but one of these days will need to upgrade.  I know the M8 just uses the on chip DAC but supposedly the implementation is done well.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #514 of 874

What I meant was there much difference using the native DAC headset output versus the external usb DAC as far as SQ.  I have the same headphones, using a Note 2 with voodoo and it is quite good but one of these days will need to upgrade.  I know the M8 just uses the on chip DAC but supposedly the implementation is done well.

Ah, sorry. Thought you meant the stock earbuds that come with the M8.

The M8 is fairly detailed but the sound is pretty flat and cold. I guess I am just in love with my HRT Microstreamer. It's so nice sounding that I can't help but use it even if it's a bit awkward having to attach it when I want to listen to music and to have the added battery drain. It's worth it to me for the sound quality.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #515 of 874
If you want "the best mobile phone audio" on the market, the Vivo Xplay 3s is by far the best out there. Unfortunately, it isn't sold in the US. It can be found on Aliexpress though. No LTE on T-Mobile.

http://www.vivo.com.cn/vivo/xplay3s/

I picked it up along with the XE800, which is a modified Vsonic GR07 BE/Classic made by Vsonic. ESS9018KM2 DAC, OPA2604 Amp, DTS-X Headphone. Blows away anything I've heard outside of my Geek Out. The fact they chose to use Vsonic to make their IEM speaks volumes about the quality.

I'm going to see if I can extract the movie player app, which uses DTS-X. Would be awesome if it worked on all phones.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #517 of 874
Hey gus i wanna ask is sound quality really worth the money i have s3 and i like its sound performance but I'm going for something with more battery and sound quality so note 3 vs m8??

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #518 of 874
Hey gus i wanna ask is sound quality really worth the money i have s3 and i like its sound performance but I'm going for something with more battery and sound quality so note 3 vs m8??

Not for sound quality alone. Better to buy a dedicated DAC for SQ. A dedicated USB DAC will destroy any phones sound quality generally.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #520 of 874
has anybody else noticed the usb out audio is mono?  like pretty much straight up mono?  i am still on 4.4.2/1.12.  haven't taken any ota's and probably won't update until 4.4.4 or android L rolls around and flash my m8 to gpe version.  has anybody taken an ota that has fixed the mono usb out?

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #522 of 874
  Can anyone let me know if htc one Google Play Edition has same audio hardware? Can we get same sound quality in Google Play Edition?

Sense 4.4.2 compared to any version of GPE sounds equal. However, Sense 4.4.3 comes with new audio drivers which provide a more refined sound with better detail and zero crackling. So, Sense all the way!

I'm loving the SQ of this phone, specially with the new update.

Regards, mates 
beyersmile.png

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #523 of 874
  Sense 4.4.2 compared to any version of GPE sounds equal. However, Sense 4.4.3 comes with new audio drivers which provide a more refined sound with better detail and zero crackling. So, Sense all the way!

Regards, mates 
beyersmile.png

Thanks for your response. Also could you please let me know which model M8 you are using? I'm from India and here we have 2.5 Ghz model (US has got 2.3 Ghz model). I feel even there will be change in DAC

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #524 of 874

Regards, mates 
beyersmile.png

Thanks for your response. Also could you please let me know which model M8 you are using? I'm from India and here we have 2.5 Ghz model (US has got 2.3 Ghz model). I feel even there will be change in DAC

DAC should be the same. WCD9320. Unless there is something HTC hasn't revealed. I haven't seen confirmation of what they're using for the inline amp. Still sounds good.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #525 of 874
 Can anyone let me know if htc one Google Play Edition has same audio hardware? Can we get same sound quality in Google Play Edition?

Regards, mates 
beyersmile.png

Does 4.4.3 fix the USB audio outputting mono?

Sent from my SM-N9005

Users who are viewing this thread

Back