New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Aug 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #706 of 2,616
Guys, can anyone compare the AP200 to the AP100 and/or Cayin N3/ N5.

I have the Questyle QP1R and the AP100 and I find that the AP100 is not outclassed by the QP1R and in some ways I prefer it.

N3 is great but small with plastic screen that scratches too easy. Sound diff is minor and can be chalked up to whatever drivers you use...IMO. I have a Plenue D and the screen is fuuuu. I take super good care but it is fuuu.
The only thing holding this device back is the FW. love the contrast and design of the GUI but it needs polish. Sound is great on guitar sting pulls and all the minutia. If Hidizs has a new FW.....let me know guys :)

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #707 of 2,616
N3 is great but small with plastic screen that scratches too easy. Sound diff is minor and can be chalked up to whatever drivers you use...IMO. I have a Plenue D and the screen is fuuuu. I take super good care but it is fuuu.
The only thing holding this device back is the FW. love the contrast and design of the GUI but it needs polish. Sound is great on guitar sting pulls and all the minutia. If Hidizs has a new FW.....let me know guys :)

Hi, do you think that the Hidizs AP200 has a similar sound quality of the FiiO X7 Mark II? Thanks

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #708 of 2,616
I opted for the 32Gb variant, have the Fiio X5III, iBasso DX80, Sony NW-A35 & Shanling M1 so will see how they compare

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #710 of 2,616
The good thing is at least it’s software and not hardware issues... Fingers crossed they can get it at least stable enough by they time they ship, and then keep tweaking. @Hawaiibadboy are you able to send them details of the FW issue you are having?

Cheers.

Exactly. Sound is great with lots of detail (no more ocean water in my ear :wink: ) No I have not as the events do not repeat. Very random. I will PM them tomorrow with my list

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #711 of 2,616
The good thing is at least it’s software and not hardware issues... Fingers crossed they can get it at least stable enough by they time they ship, and then keep tweaking. @Hawaiibadboy are you able to send them details of the FW issue you are having?

Cheers.
I was wondering why most chinese DAPs has half baked firmware. When I had my DX90, I have to be careful NOT to ugprade firmware as it might even affect the SQ.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #712 of 2,616
It would be great to know if USB 3.1 has been implemented or if they are just using the USB-C port but running it in USB 2.0 mode. Because the CoC the AP200 users is the Rockchip’s K3188 and it only supports USB 2.0, so unless Hidiz have a dedicated controller in it. I wonder if @Hidizs Hk @Hidizsofficial can comment please?

From the transfer speeds reported (12 MB/s) it appears to be usb 2 over usb-c.

But I do agree that the usb-c plug is an advantage - connecting a usb otg cable to my Android phone"s micro USB port is always hit and miss. If you touch the phone or the cable, the connection is lost.
A usb-c plug would probably not have this issue and is reversible.

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #713 of 2,616
No I have not as the events do not repeat. Very random. I will PM them tomorrow with my list

Even if it is only random glitches, definitely still worth passing on them. The more information they have the easier it maybe for them to duplicate and fix. Out of curiosity, what is your firmware number?

I was wondering why most chinese DAPs has half baked firmware. When I had my DX90, I have to be careful NOT to ugprade firmware as it might even affect the SQ.

Good question. From a lot of early reviews of the x5III, the software was pretty bad to start with, but seems to now be getting there now. However, Fiio may have a larger team. Also, IMO they all use old CoCs and limited RAM on old Android OS’s, there is only so much they can probably do to help the sluggishness and random slowdown/ lockup’s we just don’t really see in higher end mobile phones etc these days using more modern chips/ specs etc.

A usb-c plug would probably not have this issue and is reversible.

True.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #714 of 2,616
Even if it is only random glitches, definitely still worth passing on them. The more information they have the easier it maybe for them to duplicate and fix. Out of curiosity, what is your firmware number?

Good question. From a lot of early reviews of the x5III, the software was pretty bad to start with, but seems to now be getting there now. However, Fiio may have a larger team. Also, IMO they all use old CoCs and limited RAM on old Android OS’s, there is only so much they can probably do to help the sluggishness and random slowdown/ lockup’s we just don’t really see in higher end mobile phones etc these days using more modern chips/ specs etc.

True.

Why they can't they use newer Android ? It's unbearable to use something that is in alpha stage.

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #719 of 2,616
Why they can't they use newer Android ? It's unbearable to use something that is in alpha stage.

Probably the same reason the Fiio X3 III, Onkyo DP-X1, A&K KANN and Sony Walkman NWZX2 are all also using Android 5.1 or older (NWZX2 using 4.2) according to the chart they have on the KS page. It might be a hardware limitation of the DAPs, meaning they don't want to bump up the specs to what modern Android phones are required to have for newer Android versions, or it might be some other limitation related to the hardware. I have no actual idea, just speculating, but they likely would need to increase the device specs to use one of the newer Android versions, which would increase the price, and having a newer Android version might not actually make much difference for something primarily designed to play music.

As far as it being unfinished software, I don't know how it works with DAPs in development normally, but much of the time with other software they usually leave the optimization phase to be the last thing they do because it doesn't make sense to optimize everything while you're still adding and tweaking the rest of the software, they would likely want to wait to do that until all the software features are finalized, and part of it might also be just the regular fixing of bugs that pop up during software development. They likely could just hold off longer and not give anyone the device until it was perfect, but then we'd be sitting here with no idea of if it sounds any good right now.

Not saying that it wouldn't be good to have a newer Android version or having finished, optimized software wouldn't be good, just speculating on why it's not what we're getting right now.

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #720 of 2,616
So if I didn't like the experience with a fiio x5III (back plate warm in pocket, questionable ui and so on and so forth) will I be any better faring with the hidizs? How's battery life going?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back