New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #271 of 2,616
I just wish more of these Android DAPs had a quick charge ability like the Fiio X5iii. At least for the more expensive ones.

For $300, so long as it sounds nice, isn't slow while being compact, and can do some transport duties, I'd be extremely happy with the AP200.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #273 of 2,616
True. I guess having the latest android version on a DAP isn't that important since the most important thing is being able to listen to music and the quality of the sound it outputs.

I don't think it's particularly important to have the latest Android version on anything, DAP or phone. Another version just comes out in six months anyway. Stability is much more important, and a version that's mature is more likely to provide that. The tablet I'm typing this from is on Kit Kat, and works great and I feel no urge to upgrade. Android 7 has had plenty of problems on many devices, and there are minimal differences between 5 and 6.

Jun 11, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #274 of 2,616
I just want to point out something. AP200 should be a budget entry level Android DAP. Someone mentioned to me they saw a roadmap brochure with upcoming Hidizs products, and there are more higher end models (at least from incremental model number). Based on a price rumor of being around $250 (I'm assuming 8GB aluminum model), I don't know what to expect in terms of sound quality, but I can already sense they are aiming for the best price/performance ratio in android DAP category. Another assumption is that a focus of this DAP is to load (or side-load) apps allowing you to stream audio, and not to play the latest video games or to watch high-res movies. Also, we know it will be based on Hiby sw/fw we have seen on FiiO daps, and that code is tested and optimized for android 5.x.

Jun 11, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #275 of 2,616
I just want to point out something. AP200 should be a budget entry level Android DAP. Someone mentioned to me they saw a roadmap brochure with upcoming Hidizs products, and there are more higher end models (at least from incremental model number). Based on a price rumor of being around $250 (I'm assuming 8GB aluminum model), I don't know what to expect in terms of sound quality, but I can already sense they are aiming for the best price/performance ratio in android DAP category. Another assumption is that a focus of this DAP is to load (or side-load) apps allowing you to stream audio, and not to play the latest video games or to watch high-res movies. Also, we know it will be based on Hiby sw/fw we have seen on FiiO daps, and that code is tested and optimized for android 5.x.

Couldn't agree more.

Moreover, the device only has 1Gb of RAM (as many/most Android DAPs). Clearly, the aim here isn't to have the highest performing mobile device....but rather to have adequate hardware specs for the device's main purpose (a DAP). Lollipop is a perfectly fine OS for this purpose. Of course, utilising higher performance hardware would increase the price, and does not guarantee a better performing device for day-to-day use.

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #276 of 2,616
I don't think it's particularly important to have the latest Android version on anything, DAP or phone. Another version just comes out in six months anyway. Stability is much more important, and a version that's mature is more likely to provide that. The tablet I'm typing this from is on Kit Kat, and works great and I feel no urge to upgrade. Android 7 has had plenty of problems on many devices, and there are minimal differences between 5 and 6.

Not that I disagree (don't even get me started on planned obsolescence), but... security! Older OS tend to be targeted more due to large install bases and vulnerabilities that only increase with time which are less likely to get patched (c.f. Google abandoning support of pre-KitKat builds a few years ago)- just look at all the "Internet of Things" driven network attacks and security issues over the past few years, many of which feature limited android or linux based builds similar to what a DAP might utilize.

Still, there's almost no incentive for a DAP maker to care about this, since relatively few bother to provide support even more than just a few months into a product release.. and the ones that actually do put in the effort will inevitably end up screwed a year or two down the road by google or the chipset maker abandoning support.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #277 of 2,616
Not that I disagree (don't even get me started on planned obsolescence), but... security! Older OS tend to be targeted more due to large install bases and vulnerabilities that only increase with time which are less likely to get patched (c.f. Google abandoning support of pre-KitKat builds a few years ago)- just look at all the "Internet of Things" driven network attacks and security issues over the past few years, many of which feature limited android or linux based builds similar to what a DAP might utilize.

No one is forcing you to use the device online (unless you HAVE to use some streaming services). But anyhoo, device security is about protecting a user's sensitive information. What kind of national security secrets are you planning to store on a DAP?

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #278 of 2,616
No one is forcing you to use the device online (unless you HAVE to use some streaming services). But anyhoo, device security is about protecting a user's sensitive information. What kind of national security secrets are you planning to store on a DAP?

aha, yeah I hope nobody is storing missile launch codes on their Onkyo! Though, seriously, there are all kinds of nefarious things that can be done with a compromised internet-enabled gadget beyond just mining for personal information (just search for 'iot attack') - which, btw, isn't that far out of reach supposing someone connects it to a poorly secured home or work network.

Jun 11, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #279 of 2,616
The fact that I have the entire Britney Spears discography!

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #280 of 2,616
I'm really looking forward to this DAP. I'm hoping that it has the giant-killer sound that I had hoped the FiiO X5iii would have and didn't. It certainly is looking attractive, especially the rosewood backed one. That is sexy.

18449307_778538748990977_5476696032769007743_o.jpg

Jun 11, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #281 of 2,616
I'm really looking forward to this DAP. I'm hoping that it has the giant-killer sound that I had hoped the FiiO X5iii would have and didn't. It certainly is looking attractive, especially the rosewood backed one. That is sexy.

The rosewood back is where I cast my vote in the survey too. Looks really nice.

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #283 of 2,616

As long as I don't have to listen to anything with "kinfolk" in the name, I'm down with the Rosewood AP200

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #285 of 2,616
Samples are nearly ready and I hope that I will have one soon for review.
Waiting eagerly for this:) By the way, has anyone any proof of other DAPs that Hidizs is going to release except for the rumours? Or everything largely depends on the AP200 success?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back