New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Apr 24, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #106 of 2,616

looking good. is the usb-c true 3.1 or crippled down to 2.0?

Only the time and the testing will tell:) But what is the advantage of the USB 3.1 over the USB 2.0 if the built-in card reader is not capable of maintaining the high speed of data exchange with the microSD card used? USB DAC and USB Host features also seem to have no problems operating at the USB 2.0 speed. Is it about the charging current or the USB OTG?

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #109 of 2,616
Apr 27, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #110 of 2,616
Sadly this looks like a pass from me, it's a large deviation from the AP100;

1) Android
2) Massive lack of physical buttons (one member here inquired about skip track buttons etc, and hidizs responded that they would consider the volume rocker buttons as skip track buttons with firmware, thus concluding the only real physical buttons would be volume)...
3) No dedicated EQ button.

I understand, these are just my complaints, for me what made the AP100 unique and special has nothing in this version, that's ok, I can see why people get excited over a well priced Android DAP, but it's not how I interface with portable music. I like blind control, quick toggle of sound signatures OTG (without menus i.e. EQ button) all wrapped up with solid power and sound quality, the AP100 is practically the ONLY DAP on the market that could do that.

It seems a trend to offer touchscreen/Android on a DAP and therefore negate physical buttons, but for me that's a massive turnoff. Android for sure has it's pluses, perhaps one day there will be a device that combines the tactile interface along with Android to make it a solid all rounder for all environments (blind/pocket control as well as quick visual control/interface).

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #112 of 2,616
I'm hoping to get one of these in for testing. If so, I'll post a video on my YouTube channel showing off the AP200 hardware and software user experience and my overall thoughts on sound. If you'd like to see that, let Hidizs know :wink:

Common Hidizs, you heard the man, send one to Nik for testing!!! :wink:

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #118 of 2,616
When I get one, I'll make sure you guys know exactly what I think of the total user experience from my point of view. It may not completely match up with everyone else's user experience, but it'll give you a darn good idea of what to expect. I might try to find a few of my good headfi buddies to share in the fun, too. We'll just have to wait and see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back