New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by crabdog, Mar 6, 2017.
First

Back
122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131
133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140
Next

Last
  1. Dobrescu George
    Given that they picked a schedule that didn't allow for much development or production time, all those results were within my predictions.

One thing though, they should really answer messages more. I know that maybe 1 person is not enough to answer all incoming communication, so maybe they need to employ more on the PR side to fix those issues :smile_phones:

2. davidcotton
    Probably all down to budget in the end. Which would you rather? Three people answering questions, or one person answering and two people sorting the issues out?!?

Anyway I see this is now up on Penon just to add further insult to injury for those who backed it early and still (?) not got it. Been tempted by the form factor as I hate volume wheels but the battery life really seems a little short for me. I ideally would like above 9 hours with wired connection on iems to get me through the day at work on one charge. Anyone getting that sort of figure, or is it really closer to 7-8?

Thanks and a happy new year!

Dobrescu George likes this.
  3. Mortenhoe
    It's probably closer to 7-8. With wi-fi off. Still pretty decent, but not if you need more than that. The new Cayin also has a small battery, so you will have to look for much more expensive DAPs, if android is required.

4. davidcotton
    Ouch, that's me out then :frowning2:

5. HungryPanda
    It is a sad day when a bluetooth earphone can outlast a dap

gugman and davidcotton like this.
  6. Dobrescu George
    True... I had some quite interesting BT IEMs recently. Maybe DAP makers shouldn't focus so much on making their products smaller, but include larger batteries.

HungryPanda likes this.
  7. davidcotton
    That's what Pioneer did with the xdp and it's a bit too big for me. More a phablet (phone and tablet) than a dap. Nice screen and good battery life but a bit chunky to carry around for every day use!

8. Kervsky
    Sony got that pat down (more or less) but generally speaking, I think batteries used in most DAPs are non special batteries, whereas sony uses their own battery tech and some careful min/maxing in the os to maximize power longevity. Wish others could last as good as their (sony) players.

glassmonkey and HungryPanda like this.
  9. Dobrescu George
    Oh... I am not the best to ask about this...

My daily phone is Mi Max 2, 6.44", and I am really looking forward to upgrade to Mi Max 3, which will be 7"... I think X7mkii is a bit small, and I am using my T580, Galaxy tab a 2016, at 10" a lot like a phone... Might be me huge hands...

The best things I can recommend if you really need something tiny are:

iDSD Nano BL - DAC/AMP, great sound

AP200 - Android, good sound

M2s - Wheel control, great sound

M3s - Wheel control, great sound

HIFIMAN MEGAMINI - button control amazing sound, good battery laifu, but is minimalist, and has some hiss.

Also, a bit part of why Sony lasts so much in the DAPs that do last so much is low power, Cowon had that too, with DAPs that couldn't properly drive many stuffs.

Optimization is important, but Sony does a lot more at circuit levels. Also, a lot of the DAP makers don't have the funds or tech readily available to develop new batteries, so until someone big has a battery factory, the same battery that is in all other devices should suffice.

10. davidcotton
    Thanks for the recommendations! I listen to a lot of audiobooks so having either a bookmark or resume function after navigating away from the file is important, hence the interest in android players. Been interested in the shanling players before, but not sure if they had bookmark facilities so not bothered. Really like the form factor of the ap200, it's just the shortish battery life that does it for me.

11. Dobrescu George
    I don't know if any of those have bookmark features. I know some Android apps do, but I'm not aware of those features for any other standalone DAP since it is a very particular usage scenario. I'd just remember the time position and resume from there, as I do with movies and anime when watching them on PC.

12. Kervsky
    Low power output was an issue with Sony though it seems the last was with the zx2 (such a beautiful but low powered dap) after that things have gone up the power ladder. With China cloning things left and right, one would think they'd have gotten better battery tech by now. At least, here's to hoping they'd get better with it too.

Ps - my ap200 lasts a lot longer on v2.2 (got around to 9 hours on low gain, vol 60%, pure music mode) a bit more tweaks and they'd probably get more out of the battery.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  13. mbwilson111
    That is about what I am getting in that situation...9 hours... with WiFi off as well. I don't use bluetooth. I have no experience with the previous firmware because my AP200 previously belonged to my husband (ordered through Kickstarter and received mid November). He gave me his AP200 after buying something else that he wanted. He already had another android dap and I had no android dap....now I do :) Loving it so far. Having fun trying out different music players from the playstore but also have used the built in one. Mine is the 32 GB aluminum version in silver.

Strangely the stock cable will neither charge it nor allow the PC to see it so I am using a micro usb cable with an Aukey micro usb to usb C adaptor. Even more strange is the fact that the stock AP200 cable does work with my Cayin N3. The cable that came with the Cayin N3 will charge both players but will not allow either to connect to the PC

I just checked and an Anker Usb C cable that I bought works with both the Cayin and the AP200 for PC file transfers and charging.

The mysteries of USB C...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    HungryPanda likes this.
  14. Kervsky
    Aye, forgot to mention wifi and bluetooth off. Glad you're enjoying it. It seems the stock usb-c cables are... Less than average quality though mine can charge and transfer data, I don't trust it (it just feels, oh, cheap) I've been using the stock cables of my phone and haven't touched the one that came with the ap200 since then. Micro to type c does work well too, but likely depends on the quality of the main cable.

HungryPanda and mbwilson111 like this.
  15. miabadph
    Does anyone know where is the line-out switch of this device? Thanks

First

Back
122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131
133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140
Next

Last