New Hi-Res Amy
Jun 30, 2015 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

raulromanjr

100+ Head-Fier
I downloaded Frank and Back to Black.  Listening to Back to Black (96kHz/24bit) right now and it sounds pretty good. I always thought this album had too much distortion which I know was part of the plan in trying to deliver a old R&B album sound but I can overlook the annoying distortion because Amy's heavenly voice seems to transport me to a better place and this is the best I have heard this album.
As long as you are familiar with the recording of the original and the goals of the producers and engineers for this project then you'll put this release in proper perspective. I'll report back to Frank although that's a 44kHz/24bit release so I'm not looking for anything earth shattering.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 3
If this is true for the HDTracks release of Back to Black then I'm not really happy that HDTracks made no disclosure of this.
From ProStudioMasters.com:
"Tracks – 3, 4, 7, 9 – 44.1 kHz / 24-bit PCM, mastered in 96 kHz / 24-bit."

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 3
raulromanjr Thanks for the heads up. Yes, HD Tracks doesn't provide any info regarding provenance, which sucks. I already have this album as a CD, so re-buying just for this minor improvement is kind of pointless (and this is assuming the dynamic range is improved on any of the tracks at all).

Addendum: Ponomusic also fails to mention any upsampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back