New here, looking at the M-100s
Dec 10, 2012 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

LEVENDIZ

New Head-Fier
Hey guys i've been lurking around on the forums for a few days now and have finally worked out i really like the V-MODA M-100s.
I was wondering what a nice amp would be for portable use. i'll be mainly using the M-100 with my iPhone/iPod but also my laptop and PC. Will a portable amp be good enough to use to play games on my PC?

Thanks, LEVENDIZ :D

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
This Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII would be a nice start.
Good for entry level.
wink_face.gif

I'm definitely an entry level 
biggrin.gif
 Current headphones are those "Dr Dre things" :wink:
Would there be something cheaper that would still be much better then not having an amp?

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 19
I'm definitely an entry level :D  Current headphones are those "Dr Dre things" :wink:
Would there be something cheaper that would still be much better then not having an amp?

Since you're using them for PC purposes, try and aim for an amp/dac pairing. The FiiO E17 is solid, entry level, portable as well.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 19
Well, personally I don't think M-100 need an amp, but if you want to look into amping check out FiiO E11, E17, If you're going to be using both pc, .laptop and iphone you want a dac/amp such as the E17. (use the amp section with your phone / dac/amp with your PC /laptop). It all sounds confusing at first, but you want E17 for your application. If you want to go in super budget style FiiO E6 will give you a taste of amping. (E6 just an amp though)

And yes I was joking about the UHA-6S.MKII :wink:

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Since you're using them for PC purposes, try and aim for an amp/dac pairing. The FiiO E17 is solid, entry level, portable as well.

Just for options sake. Lets says i don't need them for the PC and just want an amp for being portable and for use with my iPhone. What would you recommend in the 'entry level' range?

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 19
E11 or E6 (FiiO)

Yeah, those. Like H2O said, you probably won't need an amp for the M100 or anything that portable/easily driven (although I don't have them so take with a grain of salt). Now if you're looking for a cheap amp/dac to bypass a noisy/crappy sound card (not that all sound cards are like that), it would make much more practical sense.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
E11 or E6 (FiiO)

Quote:
Yeah, those. Like H2O said, you probably won't need an amp for the M100 or anything that portable/easily driven (although I don't have them so take with a grain of salt). Now if you're looking for a cheap amp/dac to bypass a noisy/crappy sound card (not that all sound cards are like that), it would make much more practical sense.

Fiio E17 looks nice. Thought you were serious about the expensive one to be honest loll.
What makes you say the M-100 wont need an amp? For the price of them are they worth it?

:)

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 19
I reckon....I reckon, ask the boy's in the M-100 thread. It's usually pretty active in there. Grab their opinions an amping and or any benefits with M-100. I can't actually find how many ohms they are. The closest guess I could find was 32ohms from a review, but knowing they were designed with iphone and portable use in mind I assume an amp really won't be needed. that's not stopping from trying something though. Outcomes vary from person to person and preferences. Though if the guy's say you really don't need one. I would follow their advice.

They'll give you their experiences, and hopefully know exactly how many ohms they measure. if 32ohms you really don't need an amp imo. However..........E17 would still be good for bypassing the laptop / PC soundcard.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 19
Sensitivity's also a factor of course. Look at the HE-6, (relatively) low impedance, hard to drive as *redacted* because of that low sensitivity.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 19
I found them.

M-100 Specs

Type: Over-Ear Circumaural
Frequency Response: 5 - 30,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 103 dB @ 1kHz 1mW
Microphone Sensitivity: -42dB @ 1kHz
Impedance: 32Ω
Weight: 280g

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 19
I found them.
M-100 Specs
Type: Over-Ear Circumaural
Frequency Response: 5 - 30,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 103 dB @ 1kHz 1mW
Microphone Sensitivity: -42dB @ 1kHz
Impedance: 32Ω
Weight: 280g

Sensitivity's also a factor of course. Look at the HE-6, (relatively) low impedance, hard to drive as *redacted* because of that low sensitivity.

So your saying at 32 ohms i shouldn't need an amp? I'll ask on the M-100s thread anyway just to see what others have done and recommend.

What does sensitivity actually mean? Is it as it sounds and how sensitive the headphones are to being put on loud volume or something like that?

Thanks so much for the quick replies guys ! :D

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

So your saying at 32 ohms i shouldn't need an amp? I'll ask on the M-100s thread anyway just to see what others have done and recommend.

What does sensitivity actually mean? Is it as it sounds and how sensitive the headphones are to being put on loud volume or something like that?

Thanks so much for the quick replies guys ! :D

To learn more about audio in general check out the sound science section. Many good articles there. I would say though that an amp is not just for volume levels. It can increase the overall sound quality. The m100s dont need one, but they COULD sound better with a good amp or amp and dac. I will know if they shine with an amp sometime this week.

cheers

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
To learn more about audio in general check out the sound science section. Many good articles there. I would say though that an amp is not just for volume levels. It can increase the overall sound quality. The m100s dont need one, but they COULD sound better with a good amp or amp and dac. I will know if they shine with an amp sometime this week.

cheers

Ah thanks for that info, i'll have to check out the sound science section then. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on using an amp with these phones. 

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back