New here :) Closed cans to pair with He-560s
May 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BuddhaBruce

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I just joined this forum and the hifi audio game pretty recently. I'm active on Reddit and bought my first pair of hifi cans audio 3 months ago.

Basically from reviews and research I decided to buy myself a pair of He-560s paired with an Uber Schiit Stack. I love them, but I don't have much to compare them to.

Previously I've owned M50x, HD598s, and some Skull Candy stuff. Compared to those, the 560s are superior in every way (besides comfort, that goes to the 598s). Bass is cleaner and tighter than the M50x but not overwhelming like the M50x. Compared to the 598s, there is just so much more detail in sound. Mids are clearer and highs are more pronounced. I can hear individual instruments like I haven't before.

Anyways, I am looking for a pair of closed cans to pair with my 560s or to even replace them completely (closed or open). I've been doing some research and concerning price to performance I got interested in the Fostex TH-X00, E-Mu Teaks, or Meze 99 Classics. (B&W P7, Oppo PM-3?)

Does anyone have any insight/recommendations?

May 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Out of the ones you listed only the E-Mu's come close to me. There is also the new Mr Speakers Aeon they are very good.

May 21, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm confused. You said "closed," and then later you said "open or closed." Can you clarify for us? Also, what is the budget for this can?

I'm interested in mostly a closed set to pair with my 560s, but I was also considering just upgrading my 560s to something else.

As for budget, I'd like to keep it under $400 used or new for the closed pair, but if theres a pair that's some over I don't mind paying the extra. 300-600, but I'm still debating if I want a closed pair for home or for on the go as well.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm interested in mostly a closed set to pair with my 560s, but I was also considering just upgrading my 560s to something else.
What kind of budget do you have?

May 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Didn't read last post fully sorry.

May 21, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 15
What are you running the 560's from?

May 21, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 15
Then you have decisions to make. You want something that sounds as good as the 560's but for less money. The 560's are very good headphones and replacing them is going to be hard for less money. Once you get used to the Planar speed it is a bit hard to get your head to take other headphones sound. Not impossible but can be difficult sometimes. It makes a difference if it is closed and on the go or at home. I think you are going to narrow it down to which you are looking for.

May 21, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 15
Well, I'm blowing the budget sort of but I think you should look at a MrSpeakers AEON, along with whatever else people recommend. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It might work.

May 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Well, I'm blowing the budget sort of but I think you should look at a MrSpeakers AEON, along with whatever else people recommend. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It might work.

Damn,, these are gorgeous. Seems like they just shipped out for pre orders (-$100 from regular price). Enticing, but definitely on the pricier side

May 21, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Then you have decisions to make. You want something that sounds as good as the 560's but for less money. The 560's are very good headphones and replacing them is going to be hard for less money. Once you get used to the Planar speed it is a bit hard to get your head to take other headphones sound. Not impossible but can be difficult sometimes. It makes a difference if it is closed and on the go or at home. I think you are going to narrow it down to which you are looking for.
You know what it is,I think I'm more comfortable with spending around 1000 on a pair on open headphones where they stay inside, and I suppose less on a travel/commute/work pair where I need to be on the go.

I def need to figure out my plans lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back