New HeadRoom Amp(s) Reviewed
Aug 22, 2001 at 9:19 PM Post #31 of 42
Hehe, I think the two drink joke should be universal, but I do remember seeing it in Dilbert.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2001 at 2:19 AM Post #32 of 42
Anybody interested in a balanced, dual-mono, single-ended, hybred electrostatic headphone system, please give me a call. A deposit will get you on the list.

You forgot, I'm a good sales man, so I not only sell you stuff Danny isn't done with, I'll also sell you stuff Danny's never even heard of before.

Aug 23, 2001 at 5:23 AM Post #33 of 42

As all experienced engineers will tell you, do not tell marketing what you are doing, or what is possible. ............................
This is why engineering does not talk to Marketing, and I will not tell you about the new tubed Max.

Well, as someone who works as a Product Marketing Manager, I have to say that Danny misunderstands the role and purpose of Marketing. Looks as though he's got some bad history behind him. My engineers and Project Managers don't try to keep me in the dark.

In a nutshell, its Marketing that should tell the engineers what to build. I hope that is what Tyll and Todd do at Headroom.

If the engineers were to dream up and decide what gets built next, then bad things are likely to happen - because invariably -- it is Marketing, not the engineers who should be talking to customers (the Market) and determining what customers want/need. In a worst case scenario, you wind up with White Elephants.

"Build it, and they will come" maybe inspires engineers, but not us marketing types. Investing engineering $$$ and marketing $$$ in new product "experiments" which have not been substantiated by some type of market research is foolhardy. That is why Tyll loves to throw "trial baloons" here (and on Headwize) from time to time - to gauge how well they will fly. Of course, neither he, nor Danny, can confirm or deny something that maybe does not yet even exist (such as a tubed Max).

Aug 23, 2001 at 3:56 PM Post #34 of 42
Hey Tyll, put me on the list for the new portable blockhead, will you? and one of those modified etymotic cables to go along with it that I know danny can make. thanks man!
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2001 at 4:45 PM Post #35 of 42
Marketing Guy: Remeber, what we do here might seem like criminal fraud but it's not. It's marketing!

Dilbert: Okay, as long as it's not wrong...

Marketing Guy: Here's a jar to keep your conscience in. I'll put it in the closet with mine.

Long live engineers!
wink.gif

--
Scott

Aug 23, 2001 at 4:48 PM Post #36 of 42
Tyll, make sure I'm first on the list for a portable Orpheus which is also priced under $100!
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2001 at 5:15 PM Post #37 of 42
Hmmmm.. enough bashing of Marketing. Marketing is despised because it so WEAK and understaffed in most high-tech companies.
It may not be a respected profession, but I also work in Product Management. For those younger members looking for a career in high-tech, be warned that Product Manager is generally looked at as "the worst job in the company". It's NOT for the squeamish. No one works for you, so you can't tell anyone what to do, yet you have total responsibility for delivery of EVERYTHING-- the product, all marketing activities/collateral/programs, AND you are responsible for the satisfaction of your customers. Oh yeah, all the people you work with on a daily basis, the engineers, will secretly hate you simply because you work in Marketing. Nothing personal you see.

Here is what I have learned (the hard way) about engineers:

1. Double every estimate for how long Engineering says it will take to complete ANY project.
2. Engineering will NEVER tell you that they are falling behind schedule until a particular milestone is upon them. Is this what happened to the Redrose Product Manager? It is a common ploy for Marketing to set a publicly announced date for launch of a product as a forcing function to get the engineers focused on delivering something ON TIME.
3. Never, ever, ever let an engineer design or create the requirements for a product, especially if that product will not be used by other engineers. Ergonomics? Ease of use? We don't DO that....
4. Engineers will only do the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM necessary to be able to look you in the eye and tell you "yes, we've completed that". It will not be implemented in the best manner possible, just the easiest for them.
5. When in doubt, always blame the customer. Hey, it works here in the lab. Must be an operator error!

All those gripes aside, I have a tremendous respect for almost all engineers I've worked with. They really are the best minds on the planet. They are asked to do superhuman things on a daily basis, and come through more often than not.

markl

Aug 23, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #38 of 42
I work in non-profit, so I have no idea what marketing or engineering are about. My preliminary, non-quantitative, research on Headwize and on this site points to a few things:

1. This is a niche community of runaway consumerism. That is, even the people who build this stuff continue to buy this stuff.

2. cf. Point No. 1, if an engineer builds it, someone here will buy it, even if only to tell everyone else that it sucks.

3. Marketing on these two sites is easy, cf. Points No. 1 and No. 2, because the target group is out of control. Also reference any and all threads on burn-in, tube vs. solid state, cd gimmicks, having to choose between this or that five thousand dollar CD player, and most importantly, the April 1, 2001 Headwize thread regarding the incredible DIY aluminum foil headphone helmet.

Oh, you don't have the DIY aluminum foil headphone helmet with special hemi-conducer mod? I've got some overstock and will sell it to you at bargain prices. Email me.

Aug 23, 2001 at 9:36 PM Post #39 of 42
>>>> the target group is out of control

I've previously thought of publishing a headphone tweak that was to put carpet spikes on you headphone pads. That way, once you got your headphones correctly positioned on your head, you could press in untill the carpet spikes bottomed out on bone and it would give the audio image more stability.

Never did it though 'cause I knew some idiot would do it, then sue me.

Aug 24, 2001 at 2:53 PM Post #42 of 42
LOL! When is MS going to learn they just can't do these fake support activities right? First the fake-lens-flare fiasco, now this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back