new headphones?
Feb 18, 2014 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mizzle17

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker just wanted some advice before pulling the plug. I want to upgrade from my current phones (dt770 80ohm and grado sr80s using a fiio e7 to power them) I was looking into getting a senn hd600 and a O2 amp/dac (UK equivalent). I'll be listening to music via my laptop with most recordings at the least of 30th.

Music genres vary from rock to pop, bits of jazz, funk, hip hop, metal etc I don't really need an extreme bass can as I feel the dt covers it, I'm now looking for the next step as it were.

Thanks in advance matt

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 14
Matt...I think that the hd600 would fit you very well. And it would scale up nicely when you decided to buy a better amp.

Is this hp  going to be for home use only or also portable? Also consider the he400.

gL!!

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 14
Phillips fidelio x1

Where abouts in uk are you ? check CEX stock I picked up a pair of sealed brand new sennheiser momentum over ear for £125 sold them on the bay for £190 + £15 p&p.Only sang is they don't sell them online you have to go to the actual shop that has the stock, worth checking to see if any in stock in a branch near you.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 14
I can't really tell you what would be good for a headphone upgrade (currently using DT770 as my main) but the O2/ODAC is a great upgrade from the Fiio E7. I just got it and it really improves the sound of all the headphones I've been throwing at it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 14
+1 for the he 400, if you have to buy some phones with no hearing first
It's good sounding, fun and worth $$$

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 14
Only negative I know of with the HD600 is that they do require decent amplification. A cheaper headphone can sometimes sound better on a very cheap source (such as a cheap mp3 player or laptop). Same thing is true of speakers: a really great amp will make cheap speakers sound better, but really great speakers can be painful to listen to with a cheap amp.

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 14
Well it seems my choices are now between the HD600,HE-400, and the Phillips X1 (the grado being a bit too expensive and felt a change from the Beyer sound). Think I may have to sleep on this unless anyone has had 2 of the 3 or all 3 headphones.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 14
Found a good deal on the HE400 (£355 normally nearer to £400) not sure whether to pull the plug and go for them as only 1 in stock, as said above the other 2 our (slightly cheaper) options but haven't heard any of them and not sure where i could.

I could buy one of the headphones now then get a good amp with next months money or still go with the o2/dac?

HELP what should I do (yes I know it's my decision at the end of the day though).

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 14
Mizzle17, welcome.

You have definitely done some homework if you are landing on the HD 600 as your first purchase. It's an amazing can that works well with a lot of music and I think you will enjoy it a lot. In my opinion, there are absolutely no reasons I would look at an HE-400 over the HD 600. I owned both for the last year and just recently sold the HE-400 because it's so incredibly flawed in so many ways, so I would definitely keep on the HD 600.

In terms of amping, look at the Magni and Modi. They are slightly on the bright side, but that's a good thing for the warm and laid back HD 600. In fact, I would consider that threesome (HD 600, Magni, Modi) as a damn near perfect synergy of hardware that will get you so extremely close to setups that cost much much more. In terms of this hobby, I consider it a value to not be topped, in my opinion.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 14
I saw you were looking at the X1. No. Just no. Unless you are a basshead (and your music preferences suggest you aren't), they shouldn't even be considered, especially considering the league the other cans noted here are in. The basshead X1 just doesn't stack up at all.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks Roguegeek I had a voice in the back of my head telling me the HD600 was the choice to make (so many people pleased with it from what i've seen) I've looked into the Magni/Modi but over in the UK they seem a bit harder to get hold of (Modi in stock but the Magni not) could buy one and wait for the other and use my e7 in the meanwhile (if it will power the hd600s).

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 14
  Thanks Roguegeek I had a voice in the back of my head telling me the HD600 was the choice to make (so many people pleased with it from what i've seen) I've looked into the Magni/Modi but over in the UK they seem a bit harder to get hold of (Modi in stock but the Magni not) could buy one and wait for the other and use my e7 in the meanwhile (if it will power the hd600s).

Ahh, I didn't see you were in the UK. If you can get the Schiit stack, get that. The E7 will power the HD 600 just fine in the mean time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back