New headphones
Nov 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

progosu

New Head-Fier
Hi there. Im new to the forum. I'd like to ask you which headphones should I get? I'm thinking about:

SONY MDR-V500DJ (I do love all of Sony's products, they have never disappointed me,)

Creative Aurvana Live! (People claims that these headphones are very good for that price, very good sound quality and they are comparing them to much more expensive headphones)

KOSS PRO-3AA (I have koss ksc-75 which I really, really like)

Sennheiser HD 555 (But I have heard its "too bassy" and treble is not very clear)

AKG K 530 (I read a few reviews yesterday and I was sure that Ill get it, but Today I read that it's a refresh of not very good headphones - K301xtra)

Grado SR-60 (Legendary Grado SR-60 Headphones" as I read on many portals

My soundcard is Asus Xonar DX. Price about 100euros.

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by progosu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there. Im new to the forum. I'd like to ask you which headphones should I get? I'm thinking about:

SONY MDR-V500DJ (I do love all of Sony's products, they have never disappointed me,)

Creative Aurvana Live! (People claims that these headphones are very good for that price, very good sound quality and they are comparing them to much more expensive headphones)

KOSS PRO-3AA (I have koss ksc-75 which I really, really like)

Sennheiser HD 555 (But I have heard its "too bassy" and treble is not very clear)

AKG K 530 (I read a few reviews yesterday and I was sure that Ill get it, but Today I read that it's a refresh of not very good headphones - K301xtra)

Grado SR-60 (Legendary Grado SR-60 Headphones" as I read on many portals

My soundcard is Asus Xonar DX. Price about 100euros.

sorry for bad english

I'm sorry to say this, but the Sony MDR-V500DJ is not one of Sony's better headphones for sound quality. In fact, that model is way overpriced for the sound quality that it produces; a lot of $25 headphones (both open and closed) sound much better than the $80 MDR-V500DJ (IMHO). Heck, even Sony's $30 plug-type hybrid IEM/buds (MDR-EX32LP, IIRC) sound better than those particular Sony DJ headphones (those V500DJ's produce muddy, lifeless, indistinct bass that distorts badly when pushed even very slightly, together with woolly mids and grainy highs). In other words, most of Sony's current V series headphones are sheep in wolves' clothing - and among the poorest values in headphones today.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to say this, but the Sony MDR-V500DJ is not one of Sony's better headphones for sound quality. In fact, that model is way overpriced for the sound quality that it produces; a lot of $25 headphones (both open and closed) sound much better than the $80 MDR-V500DJ (IMHO). Heck, even Sony's $30 plug-type hybrid IEM/buds (MDR-EX32LP, IIRC) sound better than those particular Sony DJ headphones (those V500DJ's produce muddy, lifeless, indistinct bass that distorts badly when pushed even very slightly, together with woolly mids and grainy highs). In other words, most of Sony's current V series headphones are sheep in wolves' clothing - and among the poorest values in headphones today.

I really like this post, brutally honest. And oh by the way, welcome to Head-Fi.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by progosu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HD555 is not bassy can and the treble is quite clear compare with other Senn cans in the same price range. HD515, 555, and 595 to me don't have the well-known Sennheiser veil.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 18
Ok maybe I'll change my question to this: What are the best headphones for about 100euros?

What are you looking for in a headphone?
I want a good sound quality (that's rather obvious). I hate when the sound is hmm (I don't know how to call it..) dark? I prefer a "live" sound.

What are you listening to Quote:

?
I'm listening to almost all kinds of music

Where are you listening?

only at home

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so you want something lively sounding, maybe a bit bright...and noise isolation isn't a problem? You don't need to block sound out, and can allow music to leak out?

Yeah, exactly. But the bass quality is also important.

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 18
For your budget, I would go for the aurvana live. The glossy black design makes it looked even better, I wouldn't mind wearing this on the streeet :p looking at creative's history in the audio market, I wouldn't doubt the audio quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back