New headphones of Sennheiser, pics (not HD650)
Feb 25, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #106 of 127
Ah, just checking that's what he meant
smily_headphones1.gif

Was the hearing test done by an audiologist or is it something you whipped up?
biggrin.gif
Are you sure she isn't just hearing aliasing from a 44.1kHz recording bouncing off the Nyquist frequency?
tongue.gif

I never thought there really were people that could hear that high.

So which does she prefer--SACD or DVD-A?
very_evil_smiley.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 25, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #107 of 127
Hi Alex,

"Hmmm. I see there must be a big age difference between you and your girlfriend.

I feel and think young!
tongue.gif

Was the hearing test done by an audiologist or is it something you whipped up? Are you sure she isn't just hearing aliasing from a 44.1kHz recording"bouncing off the Nyquist frequency?

I used a signal generator (goes upto 10 MHz if you like to test your own ears!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan

Feb 25, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #109 of 127
Lou, you are and have always been the king of impulse shopping!! For that, I salute you!!

Feb 26, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #111 of 127
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
It also has a much better cable on it and will not need a cable upgrade.

Oh Louis, not so fast! How do you know these new cans have better stock cables? Some have reported that even the HD 650s thicker stock cables are no better than those of similar previous models, just thicker. I find it hardly believable that the 595s stock cable will measure up to the Equinox cable you were previously using.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #112 of 127
Gee, this is really off topic!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
I feel and think young!
tongue.gif

Jan

"A man is only as old as the woman he touches."
-GROUCHO MARX.

Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
alex and jan: you guys are creepy.
(....going to listen to "gigolo" by R-Kelly)

Younger ladies always look better than older ones when they wear headphones.**

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

**only.

EDIT: Allright moderators, feel free to dump this post if you don't like it.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #114 of 127
Hello again Louis!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I called the sennheiser tech support and spoke to a tech that heard the 595 and he told me that the 595 stock cable was much better than the stock cable on the 590s. The 595 cable is a fixed cable and there is no upgrade cable fore it unless you send them to a diy guy to put a different cable on it. The tech guy was aware of the 590 and Equinox cable and said that the 595 cable would not need a upgrade cable.

This reminds me of the Philips SBC HP 890, with its removable cable, and the higher model HP 910 with a fixed cable. I never understood this. IMHO, headphone manufacturers should give their customers the choice of using an upgrade cable with their cans, especially such upper range models as the HD 595. A fixed stock cable limits your choice, even if such a cable is good. What if you wanted to experiment with the Equinox on it? You'd have to void your warranty by sending it to a DIY guy and spend extra money on the modding. You'd have to spend even more to unmod it back in case you didn't like it. I suspect this fixed stock cable strategy is basically a production cost cutting measure and this may mean the quality of such a stock cable is not as great as the Senn tech support guy told you.

Quote:

I bought a JMT PPA just fore the new 595s.
biggrin.gif

Congrats on your new amp Louis! I've read great things on JMTs PPA on this forum and I'm sure you've got a great amp there! I hope to see the day you spend some of your dough on a hot new high quality source though. I say this not to put down your MD deck which I have never auditioned. I just suspect there might be better stuff out there. I think you should go out and audition some.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #116 of 127
Quote:

I am glad that there is no upgrade cable. I really don't like spending more money on a upgrade cable but do just because it is there. LOL. Most of my great sounding cans had no upgrade cable.
biggrin.gif

I know what you mean. I've just ordered the Meier Oehlbach cable very reluctantly basically because it's quite a bit more affordable than all the others. It hasn't arrived yet, but the whole Mardi Gras thing slows down postal delivery here in Brazil. I just hope I can tell the difference between stock and Oehlbach once I get it.

Quote:

As far as a new and better source goes. If I really like the senn. 595 and PPA amp then where would I audition a sac cd player? I guess a sac cd player would be ok. What do you think? Keep in mind that I am a poor retired old man.
cool.gif
OH is there a sac cd player that is powered and all I do is plug my DiMarzio ics into it from my PPA? And does this sac cd player play regular cds? How much money are we spending. LOL. And please no dvd cd player. I already have one of those a SONY dvd/cd/ video cd
10 bit video D/A converter/ 96 K HC 24 bit D/A converter
DVP-530 D. Uh this wont work will it? It is part of my stereo surround system.

I did consider SACD but all my discs are redbook so I chose that route instead. I think it's still too early to go "hi-rez" cuz the formats are still fighting and market share for both SACD and DVD-A is still in embryonic stages, this also reflecting on the relatively limited title catalog choices. Actually, given a decent source redbook is good enough. You see, I bought a sony CDP-CE375 player only to push it aside cuz it was just painfully bad. The Rega Planet cured my pain.
biggrin.gif
Now, I just can't imagine your MD player being much better than the sucky Sony redbook player currently collecting dust under my bed. I recommend a good quality redbook player. Go check out SACD if you want to but chances are it'll compromise on redbook playback quality unless you get one of the really very expensive ones. As for redbook players there's Rega and there's Arcam and there's NAD and there are several other great redbook only player brands out there. There are lots of interesting threads on them over at the source forum. You'd probably spend at least U$ 800 on a decent redbook source. If that's too much for a retired old man then just forget about it. This Head-Fi habit can really hurt your wallet.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #118 of 127

Louis,

Quote:

Alex Altorfer
my minidisc deck has a 24 bit dac in it

Okay. I take it that by that you mean it sounds better than the Sony CDP-CE375 redbook player I bought. That's very possible as this player just plain sucks. Does your MD deck record with an uncompressed PCM codec, is it straight 16 bit 44Khz PCM later played thru the 24 bit DAC, or is it MDs normal compressed format? Is there any upsampling? Is your 24 bit DAC a mod or did it come stock with the unit? Did you sonically compare it with other sources? Are you sure your 24 bit DAC makes any difference? You see, I have no clue how many bits my Planet 2000's DAC has, I just know for a fact it sounds light years better than any source I've ever had in my life. This is something I have no doubts about. My ears just know it.
biggrin.gif

How do you master your MDs anyway? Do you record them from FM radio? Does somebody else record from CDs to MDs for you?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you could get a decent USED source for far less than U$800.

EVERYONE ELSE: sorry fellas for hijacking the thread. Seems like I've got an off-topic itch today.
tongue.gif

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #120 of 127
3lusiv3,

Quote:

Originally posted by 3lusiv3
I ASSUME these new headphones will sound like HD 590, but will look different and get better reputation because of their timing. Great marketing.

Will they sound as good as the 590s with Equinox cable? I wonder. Oh BTW, that's a cool review you just posted!

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back