New Headphones, New Question
Nov 26, 2008 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ruel

Head-Fier
I have always been a fan of music, and not too long ago began taking the quality of the music I listen to off my computer more seriously. I began by listening through a pair of Shure e2c in ears but found the process of rolling the foam then sticking it halfway through my skull to be cumbersome and inconvenient; and quickly fatiguing, so I listened less and less on the go, not nearly satisfied by the sound coming out of the pack in earphones that come with my iPod.

Recently I purchased a new iPod touch to replace my very dead older one. Along with that purchase I decided to spring for a pair of headphones. I had heard great things about Grado and after some research decided to buy a pair of SR60s. Listening to my music has become a completely different experience. And I am looking forward to buying my first amp as well, looking at the Headroom AirHead.

Before I spring for another purchase I have a couple of questions. I have read that replacing the stock earpads with these pads will increase the sound quality a bit.

I should note I listen to a lot of classical music, mainly vocal such as lieder and opera and musicals. Other listening is an eclectic mix of anything I enjoy including some podcasts and audiobooks.

Past that digression: after using the headphones for awhile I feel a discomfort on my right ear which seems to be pressure related as in the actual physical structure of the headphones is pushing on that side of my head.. I have played with placement and making the headphones 'larger' by pulling the little metal rods through...you know what I mean. But no luck.

Will the different earpads help relieve this pressure or whatever it may be?
What is the best way to attach a portable amp like the AirHead to an iPod? Velcro on the back of a case has crossed my mind.
What is the 'correct' placement for the headphones over the ears?

Thanks!
dt880smile.png

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 8
Don't know much about grados but from what I have read, there are several ways to make them more comfy. One is to buy the new pads, the bowls which come on every other model of grados. You can also look into the yellow senn hd414 pads and the todd the vinyl junkie(TTVJ) (a sponsor of the forum and head-fi dealer) flats.

As far as placement, you want them forward and down a bit from being centered on your ears for best quality, but make sure they're comfy first. Grados have a reputation for being fatiguing and semi-uncomfortable. Good luck though.

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 8
From my experience, the bowls are going to give you the best comfort of all of the options available. You will still probably have discomfort after extended listening, but I think that they are the least uncomfortable in this regard.

That being said, I think that the bowls will be far and beyond the other pads in terms of sound quality for your musical tastes. You need detail, not necessarily bass slam, and the bowls will wipe the floor with the others in the detail department.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Because reviews of the respective pads seem to be similar I think I am going to spring for the Sennheiser pads, I have been able to find them for MUCH cheaper than what the Grado pads run for. Unless there is a notable difference in the quality and comfort of the pads I think that is what am I going to look at on that front.

Could the volume I am listening at be contributing to the fatigue I am feeling? I am listening through my iPod w/o anything like an amp at what I would guesstimate to be 35%.

I gently spread the headband earlier tonight and that helped, however the band seemed to tighten up again and I had to re-do the process. Am I just crazy or is it possible for the metal inside the band to regain some of its...bend?

Regarding purchasing the yellow pads, does anyone have experience with B&H?

Finally, would this 'quarter mod' I am reading about help with clarity in the music I listen to, and possibly comfort? And would 'shampooing' the pads help with comfort? (how does one go about shampooing anyways?)

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 8
Also,

I am an aspiring musician and actor going into University. I would like to protect my hearing as best as possible. I am looking for custom molded, or highly recommended ear plugs or noise filters. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back