New Headphones - Decisions (Another Thread)
Jul 20, 2005 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Possede

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry guys/girls for another one of these threads, but I know you like helping people.
icon10.gif

Well, I think I'll be soon buying a new pair of headphones for home usage and I'm torn between the HD650's, 325i's and the MS2i's. These will be my first pair of decent headphones, apart from my E5c's. So being stuck here in Scotland it's almost impossible to go and check out decent equipment, so I have to rely on what people tell me.
I've heard lots of mixed reviews on all they headphones and I'm wondering what will be the best headphone to choose. I mostly listen to rock, rap and metal. Coming from my loved E5c's, I would like a sound that basicaly improves upon (E.g larger soundstage, deeper bass, etc...) I've always thought that the HD650's/Gilmore Lite was the way to go, but I've heard that their laid-back/relaxed sound wouldn't go that well with the type of genre I listen to. Does the 325i's/MS2i's have good synergy with the Gilmore Lite?
Would having the Gilmore Lite hooked up to my soundcards (It's a good soundcard) headphone-out using a mini-rca cable and running my music using iTunes/Foobar be decent (Most of my music is encoded at 320kbps AAC and some just below that)?
This will be quite a bit of money I'll be laying down, since I'm only a wee boy (13), so I want to get my audio-haven first time round (Obviously until upgradtitus kicks in!
tongue.gif
)

Thanks,
Possédé

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 13
Poss,

First, here's a bump for u. bump.

2nd, if no one replies to your thread, there are members who owns the headphones you mentioned. So try PMing them. I know for a fact that crazyfrenchman27 own the MS2 and Supermacro v3. BRBjackson own the 650 and a gilmore lite. These two people will offer great insight, and will help you greatly.

Lastly, fly to Irvine California on August 3rd for the meet =D. You'll be able to hear all of these headphones.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Lastly, fly to Irvine California on August 3rd for the meet =D. You'll be able to hear all of these headphones.

Hee hee, but I doubt that'll be happening.
tongue.gif
Maybe when I'm a bit older.
icon10.gif
Anyway, thanks for the info rx7_fan!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist
A 13 year-old that can buy E5Cs and more.

O_O

Feel free to PayPal me some money sometime.

What's wrong with that...?
tongue.gif
My family is not exactly rich or anything. I save up for some of my stuff. And it's my birthday coming up soon, 11th August. So I'm going to ask for new headphones and save up some more for an amp using my monthly pocket money (£230, but that's to cover everything I buy).

Help me people!

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Gilmore Lite? I've never ever heard that amp, but common history in head-fi shows that it rocks with Grados, as a high current Solid State amp. Also, you are in Scotland, so Grados cost up the hoohah. Therefore, an Alessandro MS-2 is your best bang for the buck for that genre of music and the rig you have imho.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé
What's wrong with that...?
tongue.gif
My family is not exactly rich or anything. I save up for some of my stuff. And it's my birthday coming up soon, 11th August. So I'm going to ask for new headphones and save up some more for an amp using my monthly pocket money (£230, but that's to cover everything I buy).

Nothing wrong at all, actually. It's quite good to see someone at that age who can save up so well! When I was 13, I could barely save for a pack of gum.

(Good thing I've learned.)

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist
Nothing wrong at all, actually. It's quite good to see someone at that age who can save up so well! When I was 13, I could barely save for a pack of gum.

(Good thing I've learned.)

Aww, thanks.
biggrin.gif
Haha.

Jahn, I was thinking the same thing. On eBay the MS2's (they're being shipped from Hong-Kong, come with a 1 year warranty) are being sold for £170. Which I think is decent. Would it be easier just to order straight from the Alessandro website? I think they look really sexy with the metal mesh, instead of the 325i's gold colour.
How does the MS2's compare with the 325i's?

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm having second thoughts about the MS2i's. How're their highs?
My ears are a little sensitive to certain highs. I find female voices with my E5c's to be a little piercing. Is that just me?
So I'd really like a 'phone that meirly improves upon the E5c's. Would that be the HD650's? Are they any good for metal/rock/rap? For bands like Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, Pink Floyd, Al Stewart, AC/DC, Feeder, Metallica, Eminem, etc...
Thanks people!
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 13
If you're sensitive to piercing highs (and that with the bassy, warm E5cs, according to their frequency response
blink.gif
), Grados/Alessandros aren't exactly the right cans. HD650s would already be a better match here, or even the rather warm HD485s which should be yet closer to the E5c and are a good deal lighter and not quite as big.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
If you're sensitive to piercing highs (and that with the bassy, warm E5cs, according to their frequency response
blink.gif
), Grados/Alessandros aren't exactly the right cans. HD650s would already be a better match here, or even the rather warm HD485s which should be yet closer to the E5c and are a good deal lighter and not quite as big.

Hmm... Ok dokie. Looks like I'll be making a turn and ordering the HD650's for my Birthday (Unless someone has got a better idea).
Thanks for your inputs! More will be welcome.
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 13
I don't have any experience with the MS2i or 325i, but I do own the Senn HD-650's and they are phenomenal cans. I did own the Grado RS-1 for a short while, but sold it. I didn't care for the build quality or the foam pads and the sound performance was OK, but not worth the $700 that I paid.

A few have reported (or repeated) that the HD-650's sound "dark" or "veiled", but I completely disagree with those characterizations unless one is comparing them to something like the Sony SA-5000 which I found to be extraordinarily bright, harsh, and shrill.

If you have the bread, I recommend the Senn's. They are top-notch headphones in just about every dimension worth noting.

KenB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back