New headphones budget $200-250
Oct 18, 2008 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

SoulSlayer

New Head-Fier
Hello,I'm in the market for new headphones these will actually be my biggest jump in quality since My current pair is not even worth 10$.
I listen to rock,some pop basically I listen to everything the headphones are not going to be used with an amp. I am going to watch movies with them as well. at this time they will be used with a 2nd gen ipod touch and a laptop with an X-Fi Xtreme Audio. comfort is also very important and I want headphones with sturdy build quality.
what I am considering at this time are the DT880,DT770,dt990,akg k701 and grado sr 225 help would be highly appreciated

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 36
This such a cliche but you should also consider hd-600 or (if you can find) hd-580. They just about fit your budget. I own dt-880s and 600s and are happy with them. They are both comfortable. The 600s maybe little more so.
I use normal stereo amp and am not too comfortable saing anything about the sound quality differences between decent headphone amps and unamped but if I were you I'd test to be sure you get enough volume out of the 880s when using ipod and such. When I change my 600s to 880s I need to crank up the volume quite a bit.

The good thing about your situation is that even if you pick the worst and the most unfitting pair for your needs, it'll still be huge improvement to your previous ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 36
DT880 + Little Dot MKI+ or another inexpensive amp will do you well.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulSlayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aren't the DT 880 way better?

That's like asking if a car is way better than a truck. Way better for what? There's no way to know for sure if you would prefer the DT880 over the DT770 without an amp and for your described needs, unless you listened to each. However, based on what I've read about these two headphones and your first post, the DT770 is more likely to be best for you.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see, an amp is suggested for use with the DT880.

And is still within his range (barely), but in the end he will get a more fulfilling setup this way.

Amazon.com $187 DT880
eBay.com (mslive -30%) LD MKI+ $79

The MKI+ is just an example. DT880s may sound better with a fully solid state amp, than this hybrid.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulSlayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to rock,some pop basically I listen to everything the headphones are not going to be used with an amp.

Apparently the OP will not be using an amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And is still within his range (barely), but in the end he will get a more fulfilling setup this way.

Amazon.com $187 DT880
eBay.com (mslive -30%) LD MKI+ $79

The MKI+ is just an example. DT880s may sound better with a fully solid state amp, than this hybrid.

But if an amp will be used, the DT880 would more likely be a better choice. (Hey Maxvla, you think we can get the OP talked into buying an amp too?)

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently the OP will not be using an amp.

But if an amp will be used, the DT880 would more likely be a better choice. (Hey Maxvla, you think we can get the OP talked into buying an amp too?)

That's why I suggested an inexpensive but quality amp that mostly fit his price range
smily_headphones1.gif

Just about anything in this price range he's looking at will sound significantly better with an amp, almost any amp. Especially the K701. You really don't want to run those without one.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I suggested an inexpensive but quality amp that mostly fit his price range
smily_headphones1.gif

Just about anything in this price range he's looking at will sound significantly better with an amp, almost any amp. Especially the K701. You really don't want to run those without one.

Right. And if getting an amp, I'd say go with the DT880 over the others listed. Too bad the OP has elected not to amp... so the DT770 should be best.

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 36
I will hopefully get an amp in the future (which means it can take over 1 year) how do the dt880 compare to the grado sr 225 and the denon and akg and the DT 990 what are the advantages of each. also I will probably buy them from amazon are the DT880 listed there the 250 ohm version or the 600ohm?

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #14 of 36
The DT880 will need an amp so it shouldn't be in your consideration. For a newbie I'll recommend the MS1, D1001, ES7 or AD700, these 4 are probably the best introduction to the audiophile world. Only get a mid-range headphone when you have a better idea as to your audio perference. Do consider the KSC75 to, they are the best value of all the audio equipment and is easily as good as a $80 can.

If you are looking for comfort, the AD700 is probably the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back