New headphone
Sep 3, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kave2

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i'm new here. I really need your help with choosing my first proper headphones. Currently have Sennheiser PX 100, used to have Koss Porta Pro[fantastic headphones] Now i'm looking for ones to use at home. I listen to many kinds of music[rap, rock, brit pop, reggae, pop...] also will use them for movies and games too. Won't be using amp, and price 150eu, and they have to be very comfortable. 

I was looking at Sennheiser HD555 and HD595, but people say they lack bass.[which i like] Can someone explain that to me, please. I never heard any of these proper headphones so i don't really know what they mean. Best headphones i had are Koss Porta Pro.  Also been looking at AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado. Help me please choose the right ones.
Thank you for your help.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 9
If you liked the Koss PP then the Grado SR80i is worth looking into. IMO the problem with blanket desriptions about "lacking bass" is sometimes people mean it lacks the crawling bass or the really deep bass guitar bass, other times they actually mean the upper bass/lower midrange that make the hard, fast bass-y notes...well...hard-hitting and fast. The Koss and Grado have the latter and compared to Sennheiser may tend to lack the former as per listeners' impressions.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
If you liked the Koss PP then the Grado SR80i is worth looking into. IMO the problem with blanket desriptions about "lacking bass" is sometimes people mean it lacks the crawling bass or the really deep bass guitar bass, other times they actually mean the upper bass/lower midrange that make the hard, fast bass-y notes...well...hard-hitting and fast. The Koss and Grado have the latter and compared to Sennheiser may tend to lack the former as per listeners' impressions.

Grado SR80 are on ear, so they are not that comfortable. Do you have any experience with them, how are they after few hours of wearing.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Pretty much every Grado headphone in the Prestige line is ridiculously uncomfortable...it just seems to be part of the Grado aesthetic.  Is bleed going to be a problem for any reason?  Are you going to have much background noise usually?  If no to both, you're in the open shell market.  A lot of the nicer open shells really benefit quite a bit from proper amping, but some that function well on their include AD-700s (tight bass, some might consider it a touch on the weak side, nice open imaging, pretty clean, neutral highs, a little mid forward) or the aforementioned SR80is (they are not comfortable at all, but they do have a very signature sound, and for those that desire/favor that sound, it's hard to replace.  They are bright, some might consider "warm," aggressive headphones, with good articulation and excellent, controlled bass response).  If you do need some isolation or don't want to disturb anyone else, check out the SRH840s (some of my favorite mid-fi closed shells; pretty even across the board, great bass response, a little tight on the imaging) or Fischer FA-003s (my all time favorite closed shell under 200; detailed, neutral, great imaging, easy to drive).  If you very specifically want something with especially powerful bass, ATH-m50s or Beyer DT770s will fit the bill.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Pretty much every Grado headphone in the Prestige line is ridiculously uncomfortable...it just seems to be part of the Grado aesthetic.  Is bleed going to be a problem for any reason?  Are you going to have much background noise usually?  If no to both, you're in the open shell market.  A lot of the nicer open shells really benefit quite a bit from proper amping, but some that function well on their include AD-700s (tight bass, some might consider it a touch on the weak side, nice open imaging, pretty clean, neutral highs, a little mid forward) or the aforementioned SR80is (they are not comfortable at all, but they do have a very signature sound, and for those that desire/favor that sound, it's hard to replace.  They are bright, some might consider "warm," aggressive headphones, with good articulation and excellent, controlled bass response).  If you do need some isolation or don't want to disturb anyone else, check out the SRH840s (some of my favorite mid-fi closed shells; pretty even across the board, great bass response, a little tight on the imaging) or Fischer FA-003s (my all time favorite closed shell under 200; detailed, neutral, great imaging, easy to drive).  If you very specifically want something with especially powerful bass, ATH-m50s or Beyer DT770s will fit the bill.

Yea, a little bit :-] I prefer open ones, no background noise and also i wont disturb anyone[hopefully] 
AD-700 looks good, they are more expensive then Sennheiser 555. I can get 555 for 98 eu, free shipping, nobody is recommending them. Why? Are they not that good? What about Beyerdynamic DT 440? Can you recommend them? Are they better then Sennheiser or Ad700? 

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Hi guys, i'm new here. I really need your help with choosing my first proper headphones. Currently have Sennheiser PX 100, used to have Koss Porta Pro[fantastic headphones] Now i'm looking for ones to use at home. I listen to many kinds of music[rap, rock, brit pop, reggae, pop...] also will use them for movies and games too. Won't be using amp, and price 150eu, and they have to be very comfortable. 

For this^
I suggest the ATH A700's. They sound good with music, and have a nice soundstage for games/movies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back