New headphone to the collection
Jun 3, 2021 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Achilles2205

New Head-Fier
Hello Friends, I am thinking of adding a new headphone to my collection. I have currently HD650, HE400, and Denon AHD2000 in my collection. Considering a low budget audiophile headphone like ATH m50x or 40x, AKG k240 mkii, Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro etc. Not sure these cans will be exciting in anyways though. Budget will 10k to 15k INR ($200 approx.). Please suggest.

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 12
Hello Friends, I am thinking of adding a new headphone to my collection. I have currently HD650, HE400, and Denon AHD2000 in my collection. Considering a low budget audiophile headphone like ATH m50x or 40x, AKG k240 mkii, Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro etc. Not sure these cans will be exciting in anyways though. Budget will 10k to 15k INR ($200 approx.). Please suggest.
bad choices to nothing special the Asian market has better options.

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 12
HarmonicDyne Zeus if you want a good entry level. The ATM 50 is a monitoring headphone so it's not fun to listen to. You make sure not to look at Monitoring or DJ headphones unless you want to make music. Another brand is Sivga not bad. If you have higher end headphones getting something entry level may be waste as you become adjusted to the quality of a headphone thats higher tier. I'm a bass head and into flagships and there are good bass headphones in the lower market but the least expensive I have is Fostex TH900 MK II. That's my favorite closed back dynamic headphone for EDM music

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 12
HarmonicDyne Zeus if you want a good entry level. The ATM 50 is a monitoring headphone so it's not fun to listen to. You make sure not to look at Monitoring or DJ headphones unless you want to make music. Another brand is Sivga not bad. If you have higher end headphones getting something entry level may be waste as you become adjusted to the quality of a headphone thats higher tier. I'm a bass head and into flagships and there are good bass headphones in the lower market but the least expensive I have is Fostex TH900 MK II. That's my favorite closed back dynamic headphone for EDM music
HarmonicDyne Zeus is expensive but sounds good (heard sounddemo in youtube). Fostex TH900 MK II is also very good, a bassy headphone. All these are different price range anyways. I will not be able to afford pricy cans for now. I like listening to music and also sometimes like watching movies with headphones. I use HD650, HE400 for listening to music and Denon 2000 for movies. HD650 is so good for vocals so I use it mainly to listen to indian music. HE400 is good for western music. Also, the cans available in indian market is very limited. The local made are too cheap with low quality and manufactured ones are very costly. Again, like you mentioned the studio or dj headphones will not be useful to me.

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 12
The Monitor and DJ headphones are designed for mixing and tracking so the headphones you have add their own euphoric sense to the music so it's enjoyable. Having the 400 650 and 2000 then me telling you to buy beats you would then be disappointed if you did. I had the atm 50 and it was better then beats but had no soul.

First you have to decide what shape you like for me it's V shape then let my tubes add in the warmth. My Bottle Head Crack makes the 650 and ZMF cans amazing with all music because of its OTL tube design. You are better off saving for the right amp. The amp with the right transformers will add more bandwidth to your bass frequencies making them stand out from solid state designs. It's not something you can really imagine until you've heard one. because you have low and high impedance you would be looking at SET tube amp or a OTL designed to handle low impedance. Basically I could trick you by doing a blind test play same track and you wouldn't realize you have the same headphones on.

My amps are out for upgrades and I'm listening to Aune X7s with my Wells Audio Cipher tube DAC and the Tubes make the Aune better then on a cheap Chinese made DAC. It's not the near the quality of my Wells Audio Dragon(Hybrid) or Woo WA5 LE(SET).

If you don't tube Phillips 9500 is a good choice. Also I guess you haven't ventured over to HIFIGuides.com for more entry level recommendations?

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 12
HarmonicDyne Zeus is expensive but sounds good (heard sounddemo in youtube). Fostex TH900 MK II is also very good, a bassy headphone. All these are different price range anyways. I will not be able to afford pricy cans for now. I like listening to music and also sometimes like watching movies with headphones. I use HD650, HE400 for listening to music and Denon 2000 for movies. HD650 is so good for vocals so I use it mainly to listen to indian music. HE400 is good for western music. Also, the cans available in indian market is very limited. The local made are too cheap with low quality and manufactured ones are very costly. Again, like you mentioned the studio or dj headphones will not be useful to me.
Sennheiser HD560S

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 12
The Monitor and DJ headphones are designed for mixing and tracking so the headphones you have add their own euphoric sense to the music so it's enjoyable. Having the 400 650 and 2000 then me telling you to buy beats you would then be disappointed if you did. I had the atm 50 and it was better then beats but had no soul.

First you have to decide what shape you like for me it's V shape then let my tubes add in the warmth. My Bottle Head Crack makes the 650 and ZMF cans amazing with all music because of its OTL tube design. You are better off saving for the right amp. The amp with the right transformers will add more bandwidth to your bass frequencies making them stand out from solid state designs. It's not something you can really imagine until you've heard one. because you have low and high impedance you would be looking at SET tube amp or a OTL designed to handle low impedance. Basically I could trick you by doing a blind test play same track and you wouldn't realize you have the same headphones on.

My amps are out for upgrades and I'm listening to Aune X7s with my Wells Audio Cipher tube DAC and the Tubes make the Aune better then on a cheap Chinese made DAC. It's not the near the quality of my Wells Audio Dragon(Hybrid) or Woo WA5 LE(SET).

If you don't tube Phillips 9500 is a good choice. Also I guess you haven't ventured over to HIFIGuides.com for more entry level recommendations?
That's quite true. I had never heard any of these headphones with a real good amp. When I was staying in the US, in fact I short listed Bottle Head Crack, Valhala, O2, magni etc. but finally changed my mind. For music, somehow I was self satisfied listening to these cans with full volume in laptop, mobile but did not think about the improvement of sound quality by using a good amp. Being a movie buff, I plug these cans to sound processors like (Turtle beach DSS, iogear dts) and they sounded good especially the AHD2000. Like you said, I should start saving for a good amp. However, I do not see any good amps available in Indian market and shipping them from abroad is going to be a costly affair. I will need to wait and see.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 12
Phillips Fidelio X2hr or Meze 99 Noir may be worth checking out. I'll second the Deva but make sure you get the Bluemini with it. It sounds surprisingly great running bluetooth with Bluemini. Only problem though is purchasing with Bluemini will put it over your budget. If you want to spend a little more it's well worth it imho.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 12
What are you looking to add with another pair? Different sound signature, portability, closed-back for isolation, etc?

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 12
You need excitment you buy Grado :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back