New Headphone Stand V2: The Transformation
Dec 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

blitzraider

Head-Fier
Materials
PVC Tube, Industrial Spray, Grip Liner, Super Glue, Scissors, Tape, Patience and a Passion

Price: <20$

Emotional Satisfaction for DIY: Priceless

I posted this in another thread earlier and some fellows here at Head-fi suggest I add padding, so I did. And it works.

Cheers

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 22
very nice!

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 22
Very nice !!  I need to do something like this, although I need one that can handle 4 pairs.  Maybe 4 horizontal holders at the top instead of 2.

[Added:] OK, if you make the 2 existing holders longer, you can fit 2 pair on each.  I like it !!

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
Very nice !!  I need to do something like this, although I need one that can handle 4 pairs.  Maybe 4 horizontal holders at the top instead of 2.

[Added:] OK, if you make the 2 existing holders longer, you can fit 2 pair on each.  I like it !!

That's what so cool about it, you can expand as needed

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
I'll go to home depot tomorrow to make one of those :)

Yes remember to buy the spray paint like the one I did when you go. Make sure it sticks to plastic. If you don't paint it, it really looks like something stolen from the toilet. Lol

Oh, FYI, I used 1 and 1/2 inch tubing, but you can get bigger and smaller sizes as needed.

Good luck, hopefully the home depot people will help you cut it. It took me a while to convince the lady there.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
OMG. Just what I needed to see! thx!

I'll be building one this weekend most likely haha

how do you know the paint sticks to plastic?

Well you can't see very well from the photo, but it says on the can.

It's industrial paint, like for walls and to prevent rusting etc. So there are many textures and colors available, I chose this one because it looked smooth.

Again FYI, it smells quite a bit so do it outside and let it dry at least one day before doing anything to it.

Also, if anyone needs help with the process or want to know the dimensions of mine. Please let me know, it took me a while to figure it out but I want to help out if I can

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 22
Hey, good work - glad to see you're still improving on what you first posted in the other headphone stand thread.

I'd bet you could fill the lower half with sand. And then, if you use four-way joints instead of the tee at the top, you can keep stacking levels upward, and it'll remain stable without requiring a bigger footprint.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Hey, good work - glad to see you're still improving on what you first posted in the other headphone stand thread.

I'd bet you could fill the lower half with sand. And then, if you use four-way joints instead of the tee at the top, you can keep stacking levels upward, and it'll remain stable without requiring a bigger footprint.

Believe it or not, it's heavier than all my headphones combined. But that's what I love about DIY. There's always room for improvement!

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 22
Went to OSH today with a vague notion of what I wanted.

I don't think 5 way connectors exist: 4 way cross, then one perpendicular.  (They didn't have them, anyway.)  So I think you need to do everything with T's the way the OP did.

At the OSH I went to, they even have screw thread pipes and joints.  Instead of sitting there trying to decide how to do it, I decided to come back, look at the pictures again in the 1st post
smily_headphones1.gif
, measure how much vertical height I need for my "longest" pair, and then go back.

I wonder if there's any web-based plumbing supply parts seller where we could just look up the parts we'd need and buy them with a mouse click?  And request the lengths.

BR: you used 1.5" piping?  At the hardware store today, I was just thinking about using 1".  And then just for benchmarking, if you measure the total height of yours, how high is it?  Yours seems to be a good height!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back