New headphone Purchase & authorize dealer Pricing ?
Jul 26, 2011 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ericpwiseguy

Head-Fier
Hi,

I just received my ATH- W5000 phones as my first Full size Closed phone for a bedside rig. As the Stax 404 LE/600 didnt cut it with the wife. 

Im listening to them as I type only direct into my iphone.. and am pleasantly surprised.. new amp dac decisions made later.

Here's my question..  and does anyone have the answer.

How is it possible in July 2011 I purchased these for $649 online and at the same time they are sold for $999 on other sites.

Both prices are on audio technica authorize dealer pricing..

Let's just say this could never happen with a Rolex.

How is there such a disparity and audio technica is ok with it?

If I purchased a pair recently for $999 I would be livid.. to say the least.

I wanted to see them arrive prior to posting my ? because it seemed to good to be true.

thanks Eric

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 2

Quote:
Hi,

I just received my ATH- W5000 phones as my first Full size Closed phone for a bedside rig. As the Stax 404 LE/600 didnt cut it with the wife. 

Im listening to them as I type only direct into my iphone.. and am pleasantly surprised.. new amp dac decisions made later.

Here's my question..  and does anyone have the answer.

How is it possible in July 2011 I purchased these for $649 online and at the same time they are sold for $999 on other sites.

Both prices are on audio technica authorize dealer pricing..

Let's just say this could never happen with a Rolex.

How is there such a disparity and audio technica is ok with it?

If I purchased a pair recently for $999 I would be livid.. to say the least.

I wanted to see them arrive prior to posting my ? because it seemed to good to be true.

thanks Eric

No

Popular example:

HD598

Amazon: $235~
J & R: $250
Call up J&R: $180

Why? Because the company says you can't post a lower price because it wouldn't be fair to their other dealers. But you can say "see price in cart" or "call for best pricing". This allows the dealer to sell at their own price without making the company mad.

What you got was a price that the dealer could afford to advertise. The other dealers are just raising their prices because they can

Also, get a Cowon J3 for your cans. A amp/DAC will not make the sound quality from your phone any better. Start from the source, work on file quality, headphones, then amps and DAC IF you need it.

But a Cowon J3 will power your cans without a problem. So you wouldn't need an amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back