New headphone Idea's and suggestions
Jul 4, 2011 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Toxos

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there! So I have been looking for new headphones for about a month or a month plus and I keep coming back to nothing... SO I came across this website a couple of weeks ago and realized I should research, but there isn't something here that helps me to the point of getting the right headphones (keep getting close though). Hence why I decided to start a new thread about it. Ok, enough of that, and lets get to what I need help with.

I am looking for some portable on-ear (maybe around the ear if the sound is good enough) that can play almost all type of music efficiently. I like Classical, Rock, Metal, Alternative, etc. (just not country and most rap). I need something that will be able to play most of those genres if not all efficiently. I am also an avid gamer, and would like to be able to tell where my enemies are in games such as COD (I scrim a bit so knowing where my enemy is is a huge advantage).

Most of the time, these will be used to walk from building to building on campus, so portability is useful.
BUT now that I explained what they will be used for and when, I guess its best to say what my price range is. Well I am a stereotypical college student so I have little money to spend but anything below 100 is ideal for me currently. I have looked at a couple of headphones that are around there and here they are. If you guys have any other ideas please let me know :) thanks! So here they are:

AKG K142HD (look kinda big)
AKG K172HD (look kinda big too)
AKG K450HD
SONY MDR-NC40

Thanks again and I hope I have enough info for help.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 69
OH! I forgot to say that I do have other headphones.. well headset more like it.. I have the razer carcharias so if you could compare quality to those, I should be able to get a feel of how they sound... anything is an improvement on the skull candies I had lol

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 69

Quote:
razer carcharias

Lol, what a cool name!
Well its kinda easy for me to help you. Head on to this threat.  You will find more than 80 headphones reviewed. My personal preference would be the creative aurvana live! or the Beyerdynamic DT235 if you want them cheaper.
But then again you must decide you want exactly and how much you are willing to spend.

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 69
well thank you for your input, I am checking the link now. And they headphones you linked me, the creative ones look like they are a good value, but they seem a bit bulky.. are they on ear? or around? and I am willing to spend at most around 100

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 69

Quote:
well thank you for your input, I am checking the link now. And they headphones you linked me, the creative ones look like they are a good value, but they seem a bit bulky.. are they on ear? or around? and I am willing to spend at most around 100

they are circumaural. Sorry, only now i read all your threat and notice you want them for commuting. I guess isolation and size is important. sennheiser px200 ii might be a good choice if you find a decent deal.
Most of my knowledge is actually in this threat
redface.gif
so all you have to do is search it  and narrow some choices. The colorful board at the end of the review is really useful.

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 69
OK, so from the thread you sent me I have decided to add the following headphones to my list:

AKG K518
Creative Aurvana Live! (maybe... depending on size)

Again, these will be used to go to class and back/gaming  (Rock, Metal, Classical, Pop)

I forgot to add, I am not a heavy bass head. I do love bass, but enough so I can hear the bass pedals distinctly in the song and such.. so the k518 might be a bit too much bass

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 69

Quote:
they are circumaural. Sorry, only now i read all your threat and notice you want them for commuting. I guess isolation and size is important. sennheiser px200 ii might be a good choice if you find a decent deal.
Most of my knowledge is actually in this threat
redface.gif
so all you have to do is search it  and narrow some choices. The colorful board at the end of the review is really useful.

haha thats alright, sith happens :D but yeah is the px200 ii have good pinpointing? for competitions and such? I mean I guess I could just use my razers... but I wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone. Not to mention they look kinda awkward... but if the sound is good I don't mind too much

EDIT: I found these ones just now and idk if they are good or not.. they are a bit over the price point, but what do you think?
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PXC-250-Collapsible-Noise-Canceling/dp/B00375MWE2/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309819567&sr=1-6
EDIT 2: I also found these and they are on sale too and below my price point so thats good.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC1-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B0031RG832/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309813847&sr=1-13
OR
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-QuietPoint-Cancelling-Headphones-Blocking/dp/B0052W3ZOO/ref=sr_1_422?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309820614&sr=1-422

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 69
nudge (like a bump but calmer)

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 69
So you You are interest in noise canceling? The problem is that around these places noise canceling headphones are not very popular. The reason is that you are battery dependable and the way the noise cancelling system works, is some like.... anti-audiophile. It reduces the outside-noise by producing opposite sounds.
Its also debatable how much noise they actually block compared to a good isolating iem.

Generally you might find it hard to chose the perfect portable below 100$ because you have to make compromises in looks mostly.
In ear earphones can isolate better by their nature and are more low profile.
I cant suggest you specific headphones because i never got in the search for one. In the threat i posted you can find more than enough choices but you have to search for yourself. Some good isolating options are the prodipe pro 800, beyerdynamic dt235, the jvc ha-m750 or even better the AKG K81Dj ( if you can make a small compromise in its average comfort.)

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 69
the K518 DJ is great, and it doesnt have booming bass that drowns everything out, the bass is tight and fast, the mids are up front, and the highs are very nice, and have some sparkle. They are well balanced, and would be a good choice, the comfort you can get over by streatching them a bit. I personally think they are great.

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 69
oh yes don't worry, I do know how noise cancelling works :) and some isolation wont be too bad but I can live without it. I will look into the 518dj and the ones angelo put up :) any other ideas guys?

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 69
in my search for the k81dj, I came up with the k181dj... link is here http://www.amazon.com/AKG-High-Performance-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B000GHDQO4/ref=sr_du_2_map?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310090294&sr=1-2 are these good? do you recommend them for someone like me? there are very few left so time is not of the essence with these haha soo what do you think?

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 69
Bump

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 69
not as good as the K518 DJ i dont think, they didnt get much attention compared to the K518 DJ. Go for what you think will be best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back