New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jul 3, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,621 of 2,442

well. that's the essence, eh? thru headphones, too. adjusting the volume while listening...

A bit like having a brain surgeon with Parkinsonian tremor in his hands....(sorry) ...consequences can be very unpleasant.

I doubt that anybody would care about a potential EMI while the motor is running during the actuation. A listener would be more concerned with a comfortable volume setting than the potential noise,

As for DBA-2; I didn't have a chance to compare it to anything(DAC). Missed a couple of meets where I wanted to hook it up to a CD transport to see what it's all about. Anyway I don't plan to buy a transport soon. BDA-2 + BHA-1 perfectly fit my needs at the time of purchase, haven't heard anything better so far. I have plans to find warmer headphones for the rig and try to build a speaker setup.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #1,622 of 2,442
  As for DBA-2; I didn't have a chance to compare it to anything(DAC). Missed a couple of meets where I wanted to hook it up to a CD transport to see what it's all about. Anyway I don't plan to buy a transport soon. BDA-2 + BHA-1 perfectly fit my needs at the time of purchase, haven't heard anything better so far. I have plans to find warmer headphones for the rig and try to build a speaker setup.

That's Ok, don't hook up a BDA-1 or other DAC for comparison......you might kick yourself 
etysmile.gif

just enjoy da musik.

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #1,623 of 2,442
The Schiit Yggdrasil goes pretty well with the Bryston BHA1. Listening to that combo thru the HD800 with the amp on high gain yields a very "live" sounding experience.

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #1,624 of 2,442
The Schiit Yggdrasil goes pretty well with the Bryston BHA1. Listening to that combo thru the HD800 with the amp on high gain yields a very "live" sounding experience.

Good tip. Will file this away.

Welcome to HF. This thread is the best place for a first posting!  
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,625 of 2,442

I notice two different variations of the internal parts & layout when I Google pictures of the BHA-1.
How do I tell which one I have without opening the unit?

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,628 of 2,442

I notice two different variations of the internal parts & layout when I Google pictures of the BHA-1.

It's easy enough to open it up and peek. Unplugged of course
very_evil_smiley.gif

Updated transformer? Guessing....

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #1,629 of 2,442

Top one is one of the pre-production prototype units...the bottom one was the final consumer release...also the XLR inputs were changed from male to female...good thing.

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,630 of 2,442
Top one is one of the pre-production prototype units...the bottom one was the final consumer release...also the XLR inputs were changed from male to female...good thing.

Ha...never paid attention to the XLR inputs, that's a good way to remember which is which. Thanks for the info Rob!!

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #1,634 of 2,442
  Haha, after I was laying in bed, I thought to myself "It's probably the pre XLR out model vs the current updated.... Right on.

Actually the non pre-out, (first release) and the current one are the same, except for the pre-outs which were added shortly after the initial release.

MEMO: To all Bryston Dealers/Distributors
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA Headphone Amplifier

August 2012,

Hi Folks,

Please be advised that as of October 1st 2012 we will be adding a pair of XL R BALANCED OUTPUTS to the rear panel of the Bryston BHA-1 Headphone amplifier.

This will allow our customers to utilize the BHA-1 as a reference quality 3-source Stereo Preamplifier as well as a state of the art headphone amplifier.

The price on the BHA-1 will be going up approximately 10% but it will provide our customers with a much more versatile product.

We are currently producing all new BHA-1 units with the rear panel XLR Outputs installed. Any new order placed before October 1st 2012 or any backorder currently in house will come equipped with this new feature at no extra cost.

Please be advised that we are in a serious backorder situation currently and any new order will be 6 weeks out.

Regards,
James Tanner
Bryston Ltd.

The originally prototype displayed at CES did have the larger capacitors but the BHA-1 was once again redesigned prior to release.

You can check out the original development here.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91385.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back