New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jul 22, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,666 of 2,442

I'm sure the BHA-1 doesn't have the ooomph to drive the HE-6 properly but...................

Mike

Yes and no....the BHA-1 should be sufficient to drive HE-6s…but ..it will depend on the output of your source..I'm using the balanced outs from my Bryston BCD-1…and if your phones are using the balanced outputs there should be no problem driving difficult phones as I did with my AKGs K501s, K701s(balanced) and K712 were between 9 and 10 o’clock…but with a single ended source such as my AVP there was just not enough juice and the volume was moderate when maxed out watching movies.

I might be able to trade for a 2B soon... I guess I'll eventually work my way *down* to the BHA
rolleyes.gif

And that’s where the 2BLP pro came in…run from the balanced output of the BHA-1 I had my cake and ate it too. : )

I’m down to only my HD700s and AKG K550s so the 2BLP pro is used mainly for driving the surrounds.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,667 of 2,442

$800?!?! I'd get a second one for that price :p

Impact and just plain ooomph? ....we are still talking about sound...right?

BHA does dynamics exceptionally well to my hear. For oomph, well, it definitely gave my HD800 far more of that too.

Geez - so would I. Anyone in Canuckistan want to make that offer? :wink:

Here's my dilemna: I love my tube amps but want to give fully balanced a go. My DAC has balanced outs, and my only current SS desktop has balanced in but only SE out. It's also just way too warm for my liking with the HD-650 and LCD2.2, although it sounds good with the HD-800.

I'm looking for fully-balanced SS with enough balls to drive both my planars and my high-impedance cans. But I don't want sedate or polite or overly-warm like the Gustard. I want great musicality with a punchy bass and lively highs when called for. The BHA-1 seems to tick these boxes but I wanted to get Head-Fi opinions before I pull the trigger. I don't want meh or yawn.

The above cans are basically the ones I use the most. Enlighten me.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,668 of 2,442

I'm looking for fully-balanced SS with enough balls to drive both my planars and my high-impedance cans. But I don't want sedate or polite or overly-warm like the Gustard. I want great musicality with a punchy bass and lively highs when called for. The BHA-1 seems to tick these boxes but I wanted to get Head-Fi opinions before I pull the trigger. I don't want meh or yawn.

The above cans are basically the ones I use the most. Enlighten me.

I'm biased, but I'm sure BHA-1 bal would drive the cans you listed/own with musicality. It's not going to make a lousy track sound better or worse. No sins of commission.

Nobody yawns on a Bryston thread like this one 
cool.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,669 of 2,442
Hey guys, I might have a problem with this whole Bryston thing...

from top to bottom:
2B LP pro
3B
4B

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,671 of 2,442
  And that’s where the 2BLP pro came in…run from the balanced output of the BHA-1 I had my cake and ate it too. : )

I am actually running my HE-6 off the speaker taps at the back instead of the headphone jack.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,672 of 2,442
what's the difference in SQ, taps vs. jack?

Do you get a bigger V swing out thru the taps (sound more like balanced?) than thru the HP jack?

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,673 of 2,442
The speaker taps have an immediately noticeable improved grip over the low end (with my HE-6).

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,675 of 2,442
I've only had it since this afternoon... but the speaker taps overall feel like they have much more control/clarity.

I don't want to give a total nod to the speaker taps this early on... but yeah, definitely leaning that way.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,677 of 2,442
  I've only had it since this afternoon... but the speaker taps overall feel like they have much more control/clarity.

I don't want to give a total nod to the speaker taps this early on... but yeah, definitely leaning that way.

keep the 4B. sell the rest.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,678 of 2,442
Interestingly... for headphone use (again I've only really evaluated with my HE-6) my preference is actually 2B > 3B > 4B

4B: most bass grip, but top end slightly brittle; I suspect age as this is the oldest amp and has the highest DC offset.
3B: a bit less grip, smoother up top but still a bit hard, overall mild V shape feel to the sound (not really, but feels that way)
2B: most balanced overall, and smoothest top end (also youngest amp of the lot)

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,680 of 2,442
Yeah I remember seeing a post over at Audio Circle by James Tanner that the circuit hasn't changed because it's so simple and elegant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back