New headphone amp from AA.
Jul 17, 2002 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bootman

King o'Ping
I just got the latest catalog from Audio Advisor and they have a new headphone amp for sale.

It is from a company called DB Systems and the model is the DB-9.
The price is $235 US.
I don't have any pics since it is not even listed on their web site yet.
Some general specs include an outboard power supply and an Alps pot.
It has standard RCA inputs and a 1/4" headphone jack output.
That is all the information that is listed in the catalog.
frown.gif

Has anyone else heard of it?

Jul 17, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 18
Hi Bootman!

I have not heard their headphone amp butthey have been in business since the mid 1970s. I owned both their phono head amp and their full function preamp years ago. They were well made, no nonsense little units: no fancy casework or boutique components. The sound could be described as a little on the cool side. Back then, and maybe still, they touted their extremely low THD figures. I'd guess this was obtained through the use of a bodacious amount of global feedback. In these more enlightened (?) times, I don't know if this is still true.

Very best regards,
Steve

Aug 1, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 18
I just saw this in the Audio Advisor catalog. They also have MM and MC phone preamps. This might be something to try since AA has a money back guarantee and they just sent me a code for 15% off.

Aug 1, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 18
I saw the title of this thread, and the only thing I could think was:

Does it have a 12-Step Attenuator?
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I saw the title of this thread, and the only thing I could think was:

Does it have a 12-Step Attenuator?
tongue.gif

[in my best Arnold voice]
Dats a good one!

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 18
I don't get it either.........
confused.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 18
I thought these guys were out of business; maybe they're back. They used to sell direct, but maybe AA will help their business. They are probably best known for their phono alignment protractor. I have their MC phono preamp, and its a good unit for the money. As Steve said, no fancy cases (actually quite cheap looking) but good performance value. The phono preamp uses an IC, my guess is the headphone amp does too. At least AA gives a 30 day trial period.

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 18
I was able to talk to Wayne Schuurman, the owner of Audio Advisor, at the High End Show in NYC this summer, and he was quite enthusiastic about this little headphone amp, stating the headphone mavens at AA thought it was far superior to anything they had sold in their catalog for quite a while, including the X-Cans V2 (which AA had apparently considered selling with hand-selected tubes, but was unable to sufficiently alter the sound to make it a worthwhile alternative to the stock unit). Wayne also mentioned that they might be importing a headphone amp from Perreaux sometime in the next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back