New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,501 of 1,792
Forgive me if this has been covered already in one of the eight zillion posts on this thread, but does anyone know when we might be able to update and edit our profile and signature again? I am unable to do either of these. There is no tab for either. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,502 of 1,792
Forgive me if this has been covered already in one of the eight zillion posts on this thread, but does anyone know when we might be able to update and edit our profile and signature again? I am unable to do either of these. There is no tab for either. Thanks.

Click your name in the upper right and then click personal details or signature.

IMG_1151.jpg

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #1,504 of 1,792
Hi,
I'm a 100+ user, which I think puts me in the "use=low middle" of members. Quite frankly, the new GUI had/has me confused when I recently tried to sell something. I'll make two quick points: 1. The need to see the number of visits received per post. 2. In the selling section, if I enter a non-conforming price format, the message says I need to use "the proper format" (or something to that effect). Why not have the message simply provide an example of the proper format so I don't have to guess?

There are several levels of users--from Newbies to Supremus. Each with their own level of interest, frequency of usage, and patience in learning to navigate.

The suggestions mentioned so far, are good ones--but piecemeal: idea then patch, ideas, then patch....

Thought: Have several members from 3 usage groups (plus a group of potential, or other non-user) do a structured usability test. There are in-person usability research labs all over the country, and on-line labs as well, that are experts in assessing GUIs. Have the sponsors throw in a few nickels for this. This will minimize "patch, patch, patch," but of greater importance (IMHO) is to get Newbies engaged by an easy-to-use interface as they explore the site.

My two cents.

Side note: maybe "posts" are FS, WTB, Trade. "Threads" are non-selling discussions.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #1,505 of 1,792
Hi guys,

I haven't been back to head-fi for awhile. Imagine my surprise when I got back. Hahaha.

I used to get daily emails with a list of subscribed threads w/ updates but those seemed to stop now. Now I get an email every time someone posts something so its really annoying now. How do I get back to getting daily email instead of every post? Sorry if this has been answered already.

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,506 of 1,792
1. The need to see the number of visits received per post.
I don't remember us showing this information on the Huddler platform, and I'm not sure we'll want to implement something like this here, but I'll bring it to the team and see what they say. We do show the number of views per thread on the main thread view, but showing number of views per post on every single post seems like it could be too much information.

2. In the selling section, if I enter a non-conforming price format, the message says I need to use "the proper format" (or something to that effect). Why not have the message simply provide an example of the proper format so I don't have to guess?
Side note: maybe "posts" are FS, WTB, Trade. "Threads" are non-selling discussions.
The For Sale forums are simply a functional placeholder until we finish a custom coded classifieds section that we're coding. This will most likely take some time before its complete.

I used to get daily emails with a list of subscribed threads w/ updates but those seemed to stop now. Now I get an email every time someone posts something so its really annoying now. How do I get back to getting daily email instead of every post?
XenForo does not have a "daily digest" similar to Huddler, at least as far as I've seen in the options. We do have it on our list of possible updates for the future, but it's not an area where we're currently focusing.

If you'd like to stop receiving emails on a per-thread basis, you can change at the bottom left of your notification settings on your All Watched Threads page.

Emails.png

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #1,507 of 1,792
Hey, thanks for the reply. WIP, I get it.

To my point 1: Just a simple means to readily see, the number of visits for the items I've listed.

Let's not lose my other idea: usability testing. Newbies, mid-level users, Supremus.

Forest for the trees? Now, I'm only a light user, but discussions referencing "Huddler" and the whatever the name of the new platform, is meaningless to users. If the development is a concerted effort among knowledgeable, member, programmer types, cool.
I'm not one of those. I just have a working knowledge of GUI development--dummy it down, then test, test, test before going live.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #1,508 of 1,792
To my point 1: Just a simple means to readily see, the number of visits for the items I've listed.

[...] discussions referencing "Huddler" and the whatever the name of the new platform, is meaningless to users. [...]
I just have a working knowledge of GUI development--dummy it down, then test, test, test before going live.

That would certainly be convenient. For the time being, I have to go to the list of threads in the classifieds and then find my threads to see how many views each one has had.

Huddler is relevant because it was the platform the site used before the update. That platform is no longer available, so they had to quickly transition to a new one. There wasn't the luxury of a testing period, but rest assured they are working around the clock to continually improve the site.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #1,511 of 1,792
Jun 21, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #1,512 of 1,792
I've given my 4 cents, and will leave with a parting comment: a successful GUI design is driven by the input from end-users, and implemented by developers. The latter can get so deep into it (reason: passion for what they're doing) that the needs of the ultimate target audience are sometimes misplaced.

Go for it people! It's a huge task. LMK how I can help.

(I'll show my cards here: My career is in marketing research. For some years, I managed an office that had an official usability lab. Big dogs on the porch (i.e. major packaged goods companies, on-line retailers, insurance companies, and tech industry geeks) were always amazed by the degree to which their newly-designed GUI's missed the target audiences' usability needs. _Every_ one of them.)

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #1,514 of 1,792
Can somebody please explain to me the difference between "New Posts" and "Recent Posts"?

Recent posts show ALL recents posts. New posts only shows posts you haven't read before. If you are subscribed to some treads and you have already read these, then they will not show up in new posts but they will show up in recent posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back