New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #1,156 of 1,792
A "dislike" button is a bad idea, IMO. It's basically the equivalent of telling someone "your post sucks" without providing an explanation. I don't think anyone likes being on the receiving end of that. I think the better approach is to reply and explain why you disagree. I even prefer the term "helpful" instead of the current "like" button.

May 9, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,157 of 1,792
I appreciate creating an atmosphere of positivity. No doubt. Still, in my opinion it's a bit hypocritical to only take the yin and leave out the yang so to speak. It is the content that is on the scale. The same way a Like is a subtle message to the poster so is a Dislike which has the benefit (if not purpose) of being a signal for other readers the information may be debatable.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,159 of 1,792
I appreciate creating an atmosphere of positivity. No doubt. Still, in my opinion it's a bit hypocritical to only take the yin and leave out the yang so to speak. It is the content that is on the scale. The same way a Like is a subtle message to the poster so is a Dislike which has the benefit (if not purpose) of being a signal for other readers the information may be debatable.

i, for the most part, love this statement. I will say that I have been on enough threads to see that the YANG will most definitely represent itself it all it's dark balancing glory without the added benefit of dislikes. Seen it in action all too much lately. So I believe that having a dislike button would tip the scales in a ever descending spiral of negativity that one cannot pull out of. Like Maynard says, "Spiral out. Keep going... Spiral out. Keep going..."

And I say this all with a wink and a nod. Know what I mean?....

May 9, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,160 of 1,792

Can't agree with you on this one dude. Imagine if you had the ability to 'dislike' peoples' posts in the Music sub-forum; if people received many, I'm sure it would soon discourage them from sharing videos and links at all. It's bad enough when you go to the effort of sharing something and your post is basically ignored, let alone being actively disliked! Same goes for say, the Photography thread in this sub-forum: people are putting their own creative efforts out there - how demoralizing to have that effort publicly disdained.

May 9, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #1,161 of 1,792
The problem with dislikes is that they're semi-anonymous and require little personal or public investment. Sure, in the version I've seen implemented on XenForo the person's name is listed, but there's no easy way to work out why they disliked the post, since the person might not even be posting in the thread, and pestering them via PM is going too far. IRL, if I so much as tell somebody that I dislike what they've said, since both of us have to be in contact for the interaction to take place, there's a certain amount of personal investment involved. If it's in front of others, there's also a public investment. The person I'm criticizing can respond to me, and I can be judged by others present. None of these conditions necessarily exists with a simple dislike button. Therefore, people can freely hit the dislike button without really thinking about what they're doing or having to own up to the dismissal.

The most likely resulting scenario is group think muscling out unpopular opinions. At least now if somebody has an issue with something another person has posted, they would have to post something of their own, and an observer can follow the discussion and form their own opinion. With a dislike system, unpopular viewpoints can be shunned without anybody actually putting their own reasoning on the chopping block for scrutiny.

EDIT: Expanded first paragraph (gotta keep up my title, right?)

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #1,162 of 1,792
You know, this hasn't just been a platform upgrade, it's been a Team building exercise. What better way to bring together all the Head-Fiers into one place on one topic. Look how far the site has progressed, in just a couple of weeks. Well done, friends.

May 9, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,163 of 1,792
You know, this hasn't just been a platform upgrade, it's been a Team building exercise. What better way to bring together all the Head-Fiers into one place on one topic. Look how far the site has progressed, in just a couple of weeks. Well done, friends.

I was thinking earlier about how this thread has been the only opportunity for all of us to get together...or rather, this is the only thread I've seen so many familiar faces in one place. Makes me glad.

May 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #1,164 of 1,792
We're looking into the possibility of adding a counter badge for subscriptions.

That would be great, just like in the old site so you can one click to get to your subscriptions from anywhere :)

May 9, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #1,165 of 1,792

I was thinking earlier about how this thread has been the only opportunity for all of us to get together...or rather, this is the only thread I've seen so many familiar faces in one place. Makes me glad.

I never thought about it that way, but it's definitely true. Lots of people I've seen scattered throughout this site have all assembled here and offered suggestions, provided feedback and reported bugs. And things are definitely better than they were the day of the switch, at least in part because of the interaction here between members and admins.

May 9, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,166 of 1,792
Thank heavens it's coming together, looks much better than the original roll out. Some people back at the ranch must have been burning the midnight oil, thanks to them.

May 9, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #1,167 of 1,792
That would be great, just like in the old site so you can one click to get to your subscriptions from anywhere :)

If it's just a one-click path to get to the subscriptions page, you can do that now with the new navigation bar. The badge count change would only be an indicator of how many subscribed threads have updated.

May 10, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #1,168 of 1,792
One thing that I've noticed is that the subscribed threads threads you to unread threads rather than all the threads you are subscribed to. That makes it pretty hard to keep up with all of your subscribed threads.

May 10, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #1,169 of 1,792
May 10, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #1,170 of 1,792
Speaking of subscriptions, I would still like to see a feature that would allow you to auto-subscribe to every thread you've ever posted in. I could then go through that list of threads and manually select the ones I no longer wish to watch. I feel like it would be useful for some of us who aren't mega-posters.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

EDIT: Never mind, I found a way to subscribe to all of the threads that I still wish to follow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back