New HD650 goes below 400 again.
Oct 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

OneSec

100+ Head-Fier
I was considering HD650 as complement to my AKG702 (that idea has now being dropped). So I was following the price trending on this phone rather closely on Amazon. However when I finally make up the mind, the price surge up suddenly from 359 to over 400. Hesitated by the price change, I passed.

Then the rumor for Senn discontinuing HD650 sometime mid next year came along. I later realized this was probably the reason. (Maybe this is for real, I don't know :D)

I checked the price on Amazon today, and it dropped back to the old price now. Just to share with everyone so if you are interested in grabbing 1 new for listening or collection.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 20
Great website for Amazon price tracking.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Lightweight-Audiophile/product/B00018MSNI

I think Amazon knows exactly how to bait people into buying stuff they only kind of want.  They're good at teasing.  They know you're watching and see a low price, but you're hesitant to buy.  Then the price goes up, so you're like, "Darn, guess I should have got it when it was at that low price."

Couple weeks later, they lower it again, and you're like, "Well I gotta get it this time!"

But if that doesn't work, they go even lower on the price, and then everyone buys it.  Or maybe that's just me.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 20
This should be on the deals thread. Amazon always have crazy price drops. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 20
I just picked up a pair of HD650s a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. I don't believe they are trying to use psychological tactics to get you to buy by using price fluctuations, but maybe I'm not paranoid enough. My guess, I guess, would be that they have developed a computer application that scans a large number of their competitor's websites for a very large amount of the merchandise they sell and it is always adjusting thier prices to be the lowest - as per thier price matching policy.

On the other hand, just because it is an automated process, doesn't mean they haven't programmed diabolicly clever AI into it that specifically toys with the emotions of Head-fi shoppers in particular. Probably they have hacked Head-fi's membership list. Yes, I'm certain that is a possibility.

To get back to the HD650s. I had put a pair in my shopping cart for a couple of weeks before buying. And they, along with many other items fluctuated in price periodically. I originally put them in at $355.00. On the day I was getting ready to order they had risen to $440.00 if not higher. I determined not to buy them unless they dropped down to $355.00 again. Throughout that day I checked back a half-dozen times and noticed each time they were a bit lower. Finally late that night they didn't just hit the $355.00 mark, but dropped all the way to $335.00 - at which time I succumbed to thier diabolical price fluctuation scheme and hit the order button.

In conclusion I would just like to say that I love the Sennheiser HD650s and if the Diabolical Amazonian AI that secretly controls our buying habbits is listenning (and I know you are), then i would like to say thanks for manipulating me into this purchase!

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 20
J&R (jr.com) is selling them for $356.88 right now, just add to cart to get the price. Free shipping too, see the ad banner on their site for the code.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Great website for Amazon price tracking.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Lightweight-Audiophile/product/B00018MSNI

I think Amazon knows exactly how to bait people into buying stuff they only kind of want.  They're good at teasing.  They know you're watching and see a low price, but you're hesitant to buy.  Then the price goes up, so you're like, "Darn, guess I should have got it when it was at that low price."

Couple weeks later, they lower it again, and you're like, "Well I gotta get it this time!"

But if that doesn't work, they go even lower on the price, and then everyone buys it.  Or maybe that's just me.

Great advice Eee Pee

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
I just picked up a pair of HD650s a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. I don't believe they are trying to use psychological tactics to get you to buy by using price fluctuations, but maybe I'm not paranoid enough. My guess, I guess, would be that they have developed a computer application that scans a large number of their competitor's websites for a very large amount of the merchandise they sell and it is always adjusting thier prices to be the lowest - as per thier price matching policy.

On the other hand, just because it is an automated process, doesn't mean they haven't programmed diabolicly clever AI into it that specifically toys with the emotions of Head-fi shoppers in particular. Probably they have hacked Head-fi's membership list. Yes, I'm certain that is a possibility.

To get back to the HD650s. I had put a pair in my shopping cart for a couple of weeks before buying. And they, along with many other items fluctuated in price periodically. I originally put them in at $355.00. On the day I was getting ready to order they had risen to $440.00 if not higher. I determined not to buy them unless they dropped down to $355.00 again. Throughout that day I checked back a half-dozen times and noticed each time they were a bit lower. Finally late that night they didn't just hit the $355.00 mark, but dropped all the way to $335.00 - at which time I succumbed to thier diabolical price fluctuation scheme and hit the order button.

In conclusion I would just like to say that I love the Sennheiser HD650s and if the Diabolical Amazonian AI that secretly controls our buying habbits is listenning (and I know you are), then i would like to say thanks for manipulating me into this purchase!

It's possible. Amazon has list of sellers that registered with them - so they need not scan other websites, as price comparison against their own registered sellers would suffice. If I build the algorithm, I will set a minimum price and get the highest price possible compare to the lowest price among the sellers :p

Congratulate on your purchase! I think its quite some deal you've got there. You get free shipping and good service. They would replace your items often without much question.

Quote:
electronics expo has that October sale HD650 for $327 i think... its in the deals thread

Care to share the link?

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
 Finally late that night they didn't just hit the $355.00 mark, but dropped all the way to $335.00 - at which time I succumbed to thier diabolical price fluctuation scheme and hit the order button.

See, it's true!  They got ya!  
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 20
Bought a pair earlier at $359, just checked Amazon and they are down to $346. Gonna watch these tonight :wink:

btw-electronics expo is $337 with shipping, at only $9 more I'd much rather go with Amazon. Never ordered from ee.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 20
They got me at $329.95. Hard to deny it at that price. Plus they said 1 more in stock. I checked back 10 minutes later and it went back up to $346.73. Never had this experience with Amazon.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 20
I can't recommend the HD650s highly enough.  They are my gateway headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back