New HD 600's w/Denon 5803 questions..
Mar 24, 2002 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chip Engle

New Head-Fier
I have a B&K AVR-307 now and will have a Denon AVR-5803 (with Dolby Headphone) soon. I wonder how the 5803 will power some Sennheiser HD 600's ? I plan on buying a pair of HD 600's this week. Any thoughts? Thing is, i don't want to drop a ton of jing on a headphone amp...probably won't use the phones as much as my speakers in my HT. I picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 250-80's from Headroom last week and i think they sound restrained, muddy(with good bass). I tried out a pair of HD 600's at my local Tweeter through a B&K Ref30 and they sounded alot nicer. I'm going to return the Beyer's. I also emailed JMT in reference to possibly using one of his amp designs. Think i'll need an amp? I just don't know if they'll be a big difference in a lower cost amp and the headphone jack in a Flagship receiver such as the B&K or the Denon. I'm pretty new to headphones so, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 24, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 12
A low cost portable amp (JMT CHA-47 or CMOY) will sound infinitely better than out of the cheesy headphone output of one of them expensive receivers with any headphone.

Mar 24, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks Audio&Me... definately right to the point! lol.. Like i said, i did shoot JMT an email.. Can i use this cha-47 amp in my main rig plugged into the wall as well? or does it just run on batteries? Where can i see a pic of this amp?

Mar 24, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 12
It just runs on batteries. You can get two versions: Either an JMT CHA 47 amp in an altoid case (which looks rather cool) or in a nice black PacTech case.

When tellling JMT to build you your amp, also be sure to mention that you'll be using it for the HD600s so he can add an extra batter and tailor it to your needs as well

Mar 24, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Tell JMT that you want the amp for use with the HD600, he'll do all the work for you. I'm sure he could set up a DC input for the amp if you ask. You can get good AC to DC adapters from RadioShack.

rig4a.jpg
This is OneMalt's CHA-47. The amp is the Cinnamon Altoids tin can.

Mar 24, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 12
Seriously, I have one, it's not "that" good. It's good, thats it. Just good, not really good, not slightly better than good, just good. It's unusually liquid sounding, which is nice, but it's not the last word in dynamics and authority by any means. It has some "audiophile" qualities, but it lacks alot of them also, it's kind of like a low end tube amp. It's cheap which is nice, and it's cute, but it's not going to necessarily be light years better than what you already have!! Especially given the reduced power output.

Mar 24, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Ok, so if the Altoids box isn't light years ahead of what i'm using now (flagship receiver jack), then what are some other good choices in an amp? I'd like to have the best for the least... lets say $300.00 new or used.

Mar 24, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Audio&Me,

That is REALLY neat looking! Obviously it isn't portable so, it has a cord i assume. I've never heard of the MG Head DT. That would look nice sitt'n with the rest of gear for sure. Whats the high/low switch for? Different ohm headphones? Where can i buy one?

What does a tube amp do to the sound (if anything) vs. a solid state amp? Thanks again... you guys are really helpful.

Mar 24, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 12
You can order directly from the company through email. Or you can get the more expensive OTL version from headphone.com. I think the low switch sets the output imedence to 12ohm while the high switch changes to 600ohm.

What I think generally is the most benificial part of tubed gear is their sweetened midrange (solid state sounds stale in comparison). Lush midrange does it for me, the bass and highs don't really matter to me as long as it sounds good (has to be warm n smooth). Tubes tend to have a warm coloration to the bass, and smooth out the highs.

Mar 25, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Chip Engle
What does a tube amp do to the sound (if anything) vs. a solid state amp? Thanks again... you guys are really helpful. [/B]

Instead of firing off a barrage of questions (which I know you'll have - I know I did) and getting A&M to answer them, which I'm sure he will.
biggrin.gif

You might want to browse around in previous threads in the amp&source category area.

Have fun!
wink.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back