New harddrive for Iriver iHP-140?
May 28, 2008 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
My old iHP-140 is still kicking and I dont want to give it up for so many reasons. The harddrive in the player is still good, but is just too small for my large music collection. Has anyone here successfully replaced the harddrive in this player with somethig considerably larger (ie, 80 or more gigs)? I'm very interested in doing this instead of buying something new with inferior sound quality.

Thanks.

May 28, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old iHP-140 is still kicking and I dont want to give it up for so many reasons. The harddrive in the player is still good, but is just too small for my large music collection. Has anyone here successfully replaced the harddrive in this player with somethig considerably larger (ie, 80 or more gigs)? I'm very interested in doing this instead of buying something new with inferior sound quality.

Thanks.

Yes.

The 80 gig replacement drives are expensive and hard to find...but it can be done. For a more reasonable price you can convert it to 60 gig with a Toshiba MK6006gah hard drive. Those run around $100 US.

There are other larger drives available also, but require the use of adapters that can make things more complicated.

May 28, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 11
Do you know why the larger drives require an adaptor. I found 1.8 inch harddrives up to 120 GB

May 28, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know why the larger drives require an adaptor. I found 1.8 inch harddrives up to 120 GB

because they need more power.

May 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because they need more power.

Ok, makes sense. I might now bother spending the cash then. I'll just deal with the low capacity until the unit dies. Hopefully something that sounds equally as good, has at least 120 gigs capacity and isnt an ipod will be available.

May 28, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 11
Just more reason to not even bother with this modification.

May 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 11
actually the most direct way to do it is first to check the spare space in the player to see if a 8mm fits, if it does fit, you can use a 4th gen ipod replacement drive, i think theres a 60gb 8mm drive,

May 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually the most direct way to do it is first to check the spare space in the player to see if a 8mm fits, if it does fit, you can use a 4th gen ipod replacement drive, i think theres a 60gb 8mm drive,

The iHP-140 is thicker than the iHP-120 but I dont want to dissasemble the player to test this. Does anyone know?
Also, If the 8mm does fit, I'd just spring for the 120 gig drive. I found them for around 150 dollars online.

May 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 11
Does anyone know what the peak (spin up) power consumption of the hard drive in the iHP-140 is? Also, does anyone have a diagram or schematic of the connector on the player side of the interface? I'm not familiar with the standards for 1.8 inch HDDs. Also, I thought ZIF sockets utilized some sort of latch or lever to apply contact force to conducting surfaces. As far as I can tell, no such thing exists on the hard drives I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back