new guy need help
May 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ironsurvivor

New Head-Fier
Ok this is my first post here and im really wanting to get some new gear. I was looking at the beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm along with the xonar essence stx, and the little dot mk3. I also already have klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers. If if got the soundcard could i have the speakers hooked up to the RCA jacks and then use the little dot and plug it into the line in jack on the sound card? and then headphones go into the little dot. Or should i just use the speakers on onboard sound and then use RCA for the little dot and plug headphones into the amp? Sorry im kind of confused on this. Also if there is a better recommendation for a DAC in the $200 price range i would aprriciate the advice. Also do i use input or output on the little dot into the soundcard? Sorry im new to all this and would love to learn. Thanks! 
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Ok this is my first post here and im really wanting to get some new gear. I was looking at the beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm along with the xonar essence stx, and the little dot mk3. I also already have klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers. If if got the soundcard could i have the speakers hooked up to the RCA jacks and then use the little dot and plug it into the line in jack on the sound card? and then headphones go into the little dot.

You could use simple RCA splitters on the line output to connect both the speakers and the headphone amplifier. The headphone output of the card can also drive your headphones directly without an external amplifier, but it obviously does not have "tube sound".

Quote:
Also if there is a better recommendation for a DAC in the $200 price range i would aprriciate the advice.

You do not need a DAC upgrade if there is no problem with your card (interference etc.), it already has a good DAC.

Quote:
Also do i use input or output on the little dot into the soundcard?

The line output (RCA) of the card needs to be connected to the input of the amplifier.

May 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 7
So where exactly do i plug the adapter into? Lets say i have the little dot plugged in via RCA, so would i plug the rca adapter for the speakers into the line in?

May 21, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Or you could OpAmp roll the STX, it makes more of a difference then it should :p

May 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
So where exactly do i plug the adapter into? Lets say i have the little dot plugged in via RCA, so would i plug the rca adapter for the speakers into the line in?

The Little Dot amplifier has RCA inputs, and the Klipsch speakers have an 1/8" jack input. Is that correct ? If yes, you need:
- 1/8" jack (male) to 2x RCA (male) cable
- 2x RCA (male) to 2x RCA (male) cable
You can use the Little Dot as a pre-amplifier, in which case no additional cables are needed, but the speaker signal will also go through tube amplification. The input of the Little Dot is connected to the line output of the Xonar STX with the RCA to RCA cable, and the preamp output of the Little Dot is connected to the speakers with the RCA to 1/8" jack cable.

Alternatively, you can get two splitters of the type suggested above (other solutions are also possible depending on what cables are available), and connect them to the STX, then the inputs of the Little Dot and speakers to the female ends of the splitters using the correct cable for each device.

May 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 7
I heard i could just use the RCA jacks on the stx and connect them to the little dot then the headphones connect to the little dot. That solves that problem. Someone told me i could just get like a fiio d3 and hook it up via spidf out on the soundcard and hook my speakers up to the d3. Would all that work. That sounds like a good solution to me. If i did that should i get the d3 or should i get a better dac instead? Is there a place where i can go to try out headphones. Im interested in the dt880 and the sennheiser hd650. Does guitar center let you try them out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back