New guitar!!! (800x600 Pics Inside)
Aug 4, 2008 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
So I received what could possibly be the coolest birthday gift ever, and I know there are many fellow guitar players on here, so I thought I'd share this new acquisition with you all.

Sorry for the terrible lighting.
dsc01348xf9.jpg

dsc01351jl0.jpg

dsc01353cf7.jpg

It's a 2001 Fender MIM Strat, but the pickups/pickguard (which I guess actually had Tex-Mex pickups in it) have been replaced with a loaded S-1 pickguard. There's a single master tone control now for all pickups, the push button switch on the volume knob, and the tone knob can be pulled out to go from humbucker to single coil. What was originally a second tone knob is now a distortion knob switch with 4 distortion choices, a fifth setting on the knob fully disables it. Although I didn't get to hear it before all of the electronics were changed, I do know that it sounds absolutely incredible now.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 19
Nice looking guitar. Love Strats myself. If you want to spice it up even more swap that pickguard out for some pearloid. Sounds like the tone controls might actually get some use...ehh, at least the distortion switch.

One thing I never really liked about electric guitars is the tone knobs, I've always dime'd the pots and tweaked the sound at the amp. Maybe this S-1 setup is something to check out.

Anyways...Enjoy.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 19
Pearly gates, and dimebag darrels pickups
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweet machine ya got there man.
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 19
Looks great! I have a 2001 MIM strat as well
smily_headphones1.gif

As long as the pickups are the standard USA alnico fender pickups then theres no reason for you to bother changing them any time soon or maybe ever, unless you have specific musical tastes.
(edit: unless you want Awesome noiseless pickups, check out the kinmans in my signature
wink.gif
)

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 19
Nice, congrats! Happy playing!

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks great! I have a 2001 MIM strat as well
smily_headphones1.gif

As long as the pickups are the standard USA alnico fender pickups then theres no reason for you to bother changing them any time soon or maybe ever, unless you have specific musical tastes.
(edit: unless you want Awesome noiseless pickups, check out the kinmans in my signature
wink.gif
)

That's exactly what I was thinking, because I'm almost positive that that's what they are, and it already sounds fantastic.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 19
Doesn't look like a hardtail unless he has it set-up to be pretty much flat to the body. Nice strat, you'll get years if not a lifetime's usage out of it - built like tanks.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 19
congrats, that bucker in the bridge should lend itself to some chewy distortion alternatives!

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'd say thats a hardtail bridge. Much easier to keep in tune. Now to spend a few bucks on some Seymour Duncans, and youre laughin
biggrin.gif

Hardtails play better IMO. Nice firm feel. I dislike the floaty wobbly of the trem. Wish they were more common on Strats, cause the sound is more grounded. Makes for a better instrument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back