New Grado user (SR-60 impressions)
Mar 27, 2006 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jruser

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I got my SR-60 last week and had some pretty big emergencies to deal with so I am just now getting back here. I will be comparing these to my (deceased) HD-25 SP. Both were powered from a MINT (OPA2227). I got the SR-60 used, although it was in practically new condition to my eyes and the owner said it was only a month and a half old.

Comfort: first think I noticed when I put on the SR-60 was how much better it felt on my head than the HD-25 SP. I always read on here about how painful Grado's are, but these are miles ahead of the SP in terms of comfort. I can't explain the difference, but it is like night an day.

Cord: I liked the thick cord. Should hold up well. It is somewhat misleading as the conductors in the cord are not as thick as they appear, but there is a lot of the black rubber part around it which should keep it from getting broken/tangled/ripped. I do not like the cord length. It is a couple feet shorter than the SP cord. The cord is too long for portable use, but too short for home use. I do not like it.

Build Quality: The headhpones seem pretty cheap, although it seems likely that they can take a bit of punishment. (But Grado offers good repair/upgrade services of old headphones don't they?)

Silver Lettering:I was kind of disappointed to see that after a week some of the silver lettering is rubbing off. I do not even think I touched the lettering, and they were sat still pads down. This makes me feel that the previous owner barely touched them. Does anybody that actually use these headphones on a regular basis still have the silver lettering? A lot of them on the F/S forum seem to still have it, but I cannot see anybody actually using the headphones having it on there still.

Openness: I was weary of getting open headphones, but am actually liking the lack of isolation. For example playing computer games with teammates in the same room, I can put on minimal volume and communicate very well. Also, I will be living alone soon, and figure it will be nice to be able to hear the phone, or knocks on the door, or fire alarms. I was worried about disturbing my roommate with open phones while he tries to sleep, and while at what I would consider a normal volume, they leak pretty bad, about 2/3rds of the normal volume and any sound leaks is easily drowned out by the fan/AC/computer. I do miss the closed phones though for blocking out noise when the people next door decide to turn on their gian subwoofer and play rap music, or when my roommate is snoring too loudly.

Sound Quality: I first put them on, put in some music that I was familiar with, and thought "what is the big deal over these phones?" They seem to have less bass and less treble compared to my old SP's. For instance, the bass drum in songs just doesn't seem to kick as hard. What is there is accurate, and they seem to produce pretty low, but the impact seems weak. The treble seems less, although not a lot. The problem I am having, is that vocals seem in the background. On the SP's I would put them on and the vocals would be in my face, which I liked. On the SR-60 it is like the vocals are in the background and on some music, I find myself straining to understand the lyrics.

They are clear, and the sonic signature is different than the SP's, but I could not say which one is better or worse. On the SP's I felt like I was standing right in middle of the stage right next to the vocalist, on the Grado I feel like I am in middle of the audience. The listening fatigue is less, but they also seem a little less fun to me. I guess that is what people mean by sound stage.

I guess the SP's seemed to have a frequency responce like a U, while the Grados seem to be more like an n. That is what it seems like to me, but I have a feeling it is opposite of the truth. I wish my SP's were still alive so I could listen to them next to each other, but oh well. I try to think about which one is accurate and which one is colored, but I guess it comes down to opinion.

On a final note, the more I wear these headphones, the more I smile. I want to keep them on my head. I still miss my other headphones though, but also feel like upgrading to some higher end Grado phones.

BTW, these headphones BEG for volume. Be careful. On the SPs turning it up too loud was almost painful. On these I just want to keep turning it up. I have had impaired hearing since birth so I keep it low. This is just a warning to others.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 11
I agree with you about the comfort issue. After the pads break-in (especially on the bowls), Grados aren't as bad as some would have you to believe. I mean, I've had my Beyers for a few weeks now, and while they are notorious for their comfort, I don't think I would have a problem going back to a Grado at some point.

About the build quality issue... I'm with you on that one. The headphones do feel sturdy, but the materials feel a little on the cheaper side. I'm kind of disappointed that the construction of the Grados remains nearly identical until you get to the 325.

I don't have any issues with the Grado cord for home use. How far are you from your source? I'm about 2 feet from my stereo now... my Beyers still have the cord tie that they came with.
tongue.gif

I never noticed the lettering on my SR-80 fading, and I had them for about 3/4 years... so... I dunno...

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 11
The only issue I have with my Grado SR325s is that I have a small head so I will get imprints on my cheeks and top of head from the pads and headband. I do use mine all the time with my computer. Have had them for a few years and the silver lettering on the right side is worn in a few places just from removing the cans. I never noticed it until now. If the previous user had the tendency to rub a finger in the same spot when taking them off, I don't see how the lettering would last a month.

BTW: beware what you set them on pads down. Oils from your head will impregnate the pads and will then be transfered to whatever they set on. Paper is the main thing to watch out for. I have had a lot of rings show up on many things over the past years
biggrin.gif

<>oh.. forgot to mention that I had my cans for a little over a year and one of the wire connections broke (wire actually broke.. damn thing just happened over night) and all I had to do was email Grado and ship them out. They repaired for free and have had no issues since then.

I have had them for almost four years now..

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 11
Ok, I got out of class and have now added my thoughts on the sound quality of these headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
I don't have any issues with the Grado cord for home use. How far are you from your source? I'm about 2 feet from my stereo now... my Beyers still have the cord tie that they came with.
tongue.gif

I am living in a dorm room where my computer is less than 8 inches away from the foot of my bed. When I sleep my head is at the opposite end of the computer, and the cord on these is not long enough for me to lay down and listen. They plug into the MINT, so it would be even worse if I plugged directly into the back of the computer.

Also, could somebody take some pictures of these "flat pads" and these "bowl pads". I am thinking about trying some different ones, but can't imagine it making $30 or even $15 worth of difference.

Oh yeah. I was going to try to my SP ear pads on the Grado's, but the SP's are 300 miles away now. They looked about the same size to me. If anybody has both could you see if the HD-25 pads fit the Grados?

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jruser
Also, could somebody take some pictures of these "flat pads" and these "bowl pads". I am thinking about trying some different ones, but can't imagine it making $30 or even $15 worth of difference.

Bowl pads emphasise the treble and some people have problems with comfort. Flats emphasise the bass and you could easily make something similar.

Get some comfies and cut a big hole in the middle. (The size of the opening of the driver) That's what flats look like. The sr60 retain their warmth (as a result of using the comfies) with possible a slight treble lift, but for my ears, they sound very bass heavy when worn so close to your ears.

Once you start playing with pads, you'll never stop and keep returning to some other configuration - a 'Grado' compulsive disorder imo!!!
tongue.gif

Ian

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 11
I just got a pair of SR-60's too. Compared to my HD580's they definately don't have as large of a soundstage and aren't as warm. There's less seperation, and the high's are a bit harsh. They do have a lot more bass impact though.

Yeah totally agree with you that they scream "turn up the volume!"

My HD580's are a whole lot more comfy though.

These definately are more fun for my rock stuff though.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 11
Well the SR-60 is the lowest-end grado so you can't expect the same sound quality and soundstage as a 580+ senn. I find that after about two hours they become slightly uncomforable, and a bit of shifting does the work. I am considering buying some HD414 pads and quarter-modding them to bring out some of the highs some more. But the yellow pads look downright ugly to me.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Well the SR-60 is the lowest-end grado so you can't expect the same sound quality and soundstage as a 580+ senn. I find that after about two hours they become slightly uncomforable, and a bit of shifting does the work. I am considering buying some HD414 pads and quarter-modding them to bring out some of the highs some more. But the yellow pads look downright ugly to me.

agreed. they're comparing the lowest end grados to what was once the top sennheiser offering...

i use the reverse modded hd-414, which i like very much. i used an old votive tealight to cut the holes in the pads...

while the cord is thick and somewhat sturdy, i've had three problems with cords and joints, twice in headphones and once in the grado extension cord. they started to lose connection - probably a faulty wire in there somewhere. great thing is that grado's CS is fantastic and they've always repaired or replaced faulty stuff for free.

jruser - you're one of the few reviews that thought the grados seem "to be in the audience" rather than "on stage"...i've never listened to the HD-25, so they must really be in your face...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back