NEW: Grado SR80x
May 18, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #16 of 41
Good thing grados were assembled with hot glue so its a easy fix when it breaks. I can't believe the 420 hemp edition trulyy sounds that much better btw. Totally unrelated
It would be a LOT easier if they just had detachable cables.

May 18, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #17 of 41
I get it, but I have never changed a headphone cable and had way better sound.

The quality of Grado cables is good and not hard to repair.
It’s not the sound that concerns me (cables don’t change sound unless they’re faulty), it’s the end-user serviceability, length customization and portability that concerns me. My only headphones with attached cables are koss kph30i, which are cheap enough to be replaceable. Even then, when I travel I bring a pair of IEMs and a pair of srh-1540, both of which i can coil up their cables and not worry about straining them when packed.

For the price they ask, Grado should be shifting to detachable cables.

May 18, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #18 of 41
Good thing grados were assembled with hot glue so its a easy fix when it breaks. I can't believe the 420 hemp edition trulyy sounds that much better btw. Totally unrelated
I'm not saying the Hemp is better because obviously I haven't heard the updated Prestige series. The point is, the Hemp was the first Grado headphone since the late 1990's to have the flat pads and got rave reviews across the board along with a couple product of the year awards. Now a year later all the Prestige phones have switched over the flats, probably not just a coincidence. The sound difference between the L pads and F pads is huge.

May 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #20 of 41
I think the price they ask for their headphones is very well adjusted to quality. Getting something like a Grado SR325 for 300$ is a bargain, in my opinion. That is not to say I don't see the obvious benefit of a detachable cable.
Well somebody earlier in this thread said something along the lines of...

" ... it’s the end-user serviceability, length customization and portability that concerns me. My only headphones with attached cables are koss kph30i, which are cheap enough to be replaceable. Even then, when I travel I bring a pair of IEMs and a pair of srh-1540, both of which i can coil up their cables and not worry about straining them when packed."

Even when I've used monitors for theater booth use, I don't use cans with attached cables. It's the first breaking point for most headphones, and it should be replaceable by the user without needing to pry open a glued housing. The benefit is super obvious.

May 18, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 41
Well somebody earlier in this thread said something along the lines of...

" ... it’s the end-user serviceability, length customization and portability that concerns me. My only headphones with attached cables are koss kph30i, which are cheap enough to be replaceable. Even then, when I travel I bring a pair of IEMs and a pair of srh-1540, both of which i can coil up their cables and not worry about straining them when packed."

Even when I've used monitors for theater booth use, I don't use cans with attached cables. It's the first breaking point for most headphones, and it should be replaceable by the user without needing to pry open a glued housing. The benefit is super obvious.
agreed. especially for those who are more careless with their gear. I've broken countless phone cables. bless up removable cables.

May 19, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #22 of 41
no SR60x?

May 19, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #23 of 41
For the price they ask, Grado should be shifting to detachable cables.
Don't forget, though, that the Grados are made in the US so they're always going to be fighting an uphill battle to compete on pure value or features/$. I think it's fair to say that nobody buys a Grado for high value or comprehensive features. They want the house sound and the retro looks, or maybe a modding project.
no SR60x?
It's on their website; https://gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/127-sr60x

I kind of miss the grado sound, so I can see myself picking a 80x up at some point in the year. I had a 225i back in 2012, I ended up selling it because it was a bad choice as a general purpose headphone and I couldn't afford to have more than one 'nice' set of cans at the time, but it definitely had a fun sound. I now have the HD650s, so I think it would compliment rather nicely.

May 19, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #24 of 41
no SR60x?
Sorry, already answered above.

I love my SR60e

My other favourite of the e series was the SR225e, it just seemed the most balanced to my ears.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 41
I suppose going from lamp cord or better yet, extension cord, they've seemed to potentially add more comfort with the new cable. It's 2021 and even with prices, there's no reason Grado shouldn't at a minimum add a detachable cable feature to headphones priced at and above the new SR325x. With the updates, it's safe to say this line of Grado headphones won't see a detachable cable for a few years.

Maybe the Reference, Statement, and Professional series update (if they follow suit with x series) will have a detachable cable. There would be no excuse about cost or weight to finally go with a detachable cable if they don't, at some point, it's going to sell fewer of their high-end headphones. Most modern headphones have this feature, buying a cable replacement or an additional cable for different scenarios, come on Grado don't do this with your higher-end lines if they go x series or you might as well just call it the next series; wait for the next...

May 20, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #28 of 41
are you kidding? The Grado cables are by FAR the worst cables on any major brand. I know, because I've owned two pairs of Grados that both died because the cables failed. They are HORRIBLE.
Oh man, sorry to hear. Sennheiser cables are the ones that make me suffer. Grado? 0 problems. And all my cans get *heavy* rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back