NEW: Grado SR80x
May 20, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #31 of 41
The kinks in the cable with the infinitely swiveling cups is what truly annoys me about the typical Grado cables — it does seem that this cable on the new Prestige X models adopts the cable they trialed with the HF3 which is better at least in that regard.

But it would be delightful if they just made them detachable so as to allow users to easily swap cables for those of us who might choose a different kind.

May 21, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 41
The kinks in the cable with the infinitely swiveling cups is what truly annoys me about the typical Grado cables — it does seem that this cable on the new Prestige X models adopts the cable they trialed with the HF3 which is better at least in that regard.

But it would be delightful if they just made them detachable so as to allow users to easily swap cables for those of us who might choose a different kind.
Yeah. I find it very hard to believe that anyone who uses Grados regularly hasn't had problems with that. It's what killed my two pairs of SR-80s. And there are many, many people who have had the same issues.

May 21, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #34 of 41
If I was any good at soldering, I'd have tried these mods:

May 21, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #35 of 41
I've had 6 Grado's over about a 20 year period. All had channel failures caused by the fixed cable. I'd love to get an Rs2e, but until they offer detachable cables I can't justify spending that much money on something likely to break.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #36 of 41
The best solution I've seen to add a detachable cable to the Prestige, RS2, and PS500 Grado Headphones. The RS1's have a metal 360 gimbal, so SOL on that front. All the other Grado headphones, IIRC, use the metal 360 metal gimbal, not sure I'd personally want to cut those over the plastic versions.

If this mod is still available, it looks extremely well done, and even better, it angles the cable instead of having it dangle straight down. Also, it looks to be the easiest of mods I've seen, as many require a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue to remove. Then you need to worry about how you're going to make a whole and get the right female connector.

https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/products/grado-cable-adaptor-small

May 23, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #38 of 41
are you kidding? The Grado cables are by FAR the worst cables on any major brand. I know, because I've owned two pairs of Grados that both died because the cables failed. They are HORRIBLE.
I've own many sets of Grados and have only had issues with cables on one set - which mind you, was from the late 90s... and as @mclover has said... super easy to open and fix if you do have a cable issue -- woodies can be a bit difficult though. Also - I've melted a driver/set due to carelessness (doh!) surprisingly, still worked and sounded pretty damn good.

I do hate the feel of them and how microphonic they can be.. and how much of a PITA it can be to store the damn things or display them on a headphones stand. Due to all of this... I've either modified them myself or have had someone else modify them to have removable cables (mini-XLR). I really wish Grado would just get with the program and have their models have removable cables. I would happily pay extra for this feature/option.

May 23, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #39 of 41
I think most of the issue is that the cups are free to rotate infinitely which can cause the cable to kink or break. I've seen quite a few with permanently kinked cables.

May 23, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #41 of 41
I think most of the issue is that the cups are free to rotate infinitely which can cause the cable to kink or break. I've seen quite a few with permanently kinked cables.
Absolutely agree. This issue alone has prevented me from spending $1000s on Grados over the years. My SR60s still hang in my office, and get some ear time, but as I type this and peak over at them I see they are a bit kinked up. 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back