New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding
Nov 26, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #647 of 677

Yeah, you're mostly right. The remote is inherited from the older models albeit slightly modified. I'd like to have it as an option, as a pair with the m920, though I'm still thinking what real advantage this might bring. The Apple remote really works but I still wonder why the original remote is not included at this price point. And it's expensive. I don't really know why.

No doubt if Grace were to include the premium remote then the retail price of the m920 would be commensurately higher.  I think offering the remote as an option and having the inexpensive, but nicely built, Apple remote as an alternative gives consumers the widest choice.
I find this sensible as there is no way a small company like Grace could offer a remote like the Apple at a similar price. The alternative would be to offer a cheap low quality remote which would be awful from an aesthetic/tactile perspective.

I bought the Grace remote when I owned the m903 and started using it as my system preamp. I've continued using it with the m920. 
IIRC the remote is made for Grace by Jeff Rowland Design - it has the same buttons as used on the the JRD preamps which have very nice tactile feel. 
The irony here is that I previously owned the JRD Capri preamp and that came with a cheapy low cost remote - degrading the otherwise high quality experience of using that preamp.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #648 of 677

No doubt if Grace were to include the premium remote then the retail price of the m920 would be commensurately higher.  I think offering the remote as an option and having the inexpensive, but nicely built, Apple remote as an alternative gives consumers the widest choice.

Yes, you're right, Tobes. This makes sense. There are pics of JRD gear on the Internet with almost identical remotes.The choice is really nice,  AFAIK Apple remotes can't be used with the m903.

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #651 of 677
I have read the manual; you know, what's funny- until you're 'ready, you don't 'realize'. Because of what you said, I went back to the manual and 'lo and behold' and plain to see! I only just got the Apple remote and completely forgot the detailed information was in there. I'm the one who isn't guilty of rtfm, but sometimes am rather absent-minded sometimes. Thanks for the reminder!

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #652 of 677
I have read the manual; you know, what's funny- until you're 'ready, you don't 'realize'. Because of what you said, I went back to the manual and 'lo and behold' and plain to see! I only just got the Apple remote and completely forgot the detailed information was in there. I'm the one who isn't guilty of rtfm, but sometimes am rather absent-minded sometimes. Thanks for the reminder!

My pleasure. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #656 of 677
Another fan of the m920 indisputable qualities?

Haha. I would not yet say that the M920 is entirely without fault. I think it's a little on the bass heavy side still, even with the HD800S. And on the upper range I don't find it a single bit bright at all. In fact I am still wanting for more brightness.

But for me this has been a "problem" even with my original HD800. I never understood why anyone would call them bright. Even in the past I used a solid-state amplifier and I did not consider them bright. I quite liked how they were balanced.

But as said before, I do like bright. If anyone thinks the HD800 is bright, they should try listening to ELAC speakers with their JET ribbon tweeters. That is bright. Really loved those though, brings out percussion and stringed instruments like nothing else.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #657 of 677
Haha. I would not yet say that the M920 is entirely without fault. I think it's a little on the bass heavy side still, even with the HD800S. And on the upper range I don't find it a single bit bright at all. In fact I am still wanting for more brightness.

But for me this has been a "problem" even with my original HD800. I never understood why anyone would call them bright. Even in the past I used a solid-state amplifier and I did not consider them bright. I quite liked how they were balanced.

But as said before, I do like bright. If anyone thinks the HD800 is bright, they should try listening to ELAC speakers with their JET ribbon tweeters. That is bright. Really loved those though, brings out percussion and stringed instruments like nothing else.

Hmm..I wouldn't call the m920 bass heavy. And I've got plenty enough 'brightness', especially with my SR325is. The m920 just reveals what's in the record anyway. So, what's the end-game then?

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #658 of 677
I think the M920 is good enough to be considered end-game with the HD800S despite some issues I still have with it.

One thing I learned from reading this forum a lot is that more often than not it's pointless to try and chase and fix system-specific issues because more likely than not you'll end up fixing the issue at the cost of introducing another one.

And all you'll have accomplished at the end of the day is an accelerated draining of your bank account :p

It is very difficult to achieve a truly perfect system, and most of the time the cost simply isn't worth it. I'm just going to let age take care of the rest, and all it costs is patience on my part. I have been running my setup 24/7 and things are definitely improving.

Thus I see no reason to muck around anymore, and hence; this is end-game for me.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #659 of 677
Just contributing another photo of this beauty, since there aren't really that many around in daylight.

N4OC96i.jpg

My OCD is not entirely pleased with the two headphone jacks not being positioned exactly the same >,<"... but I've seen worse on the M920, lol...

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #660 of 677
Just contributing another photo of this beauty, since there aren't really that many around in daylight.

N4OC96i.jpg

My OCD is not entirely pleased with the two headphone jacks not being positioned exactly the same >,<"... but I've seen worse on the M920, lol...

Oh man it bothers mine as well!  Yours are closer than mine at least...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back