New Gaming Reccs - Coming from AD900X to (possibly) HD598

Discussion in 'Video Games Discussion' started by DKohanski, Oct 8, 2017.
  1. DKohanski
    Hi!

I have been gaming on a pair of ATH-AD900X's that I have had to repair the jack on several times due to a mishap on a plane. (Sat up too quickly and broke the damn thing right off.) After a year and a half of being okay on a new jack that I soldered myself, they seem to have finally given up on me.

Anyway, I am looking for new recommendations. The AD900X appealed to me primarily because of the very accurate soundstage that they boasted, and while they served me well in that regard I am hoping to move to something that has a tad more in the lows, though I don't need heavy bass the 900s really were light. I am looking for a new pair that has a good soundstage for gaming and music (hip-hop, DnB, Electronica, Alternative), and also has a bit more in the way of "oomph" if you will.

Also if you could include what DAC you would include with your recc let me know. Thanks.

2. rjjasick
    I know this is a little old, but I came across you post trying to decide between AD700X, AD900X, and AD1000X. Looks we're trying to opposite sound signatures. I currently have the Phillips X1's(X2 is the newer version) and Monolith M1060. Both have good sound stage and are fun sounding with bass emphasis. Neither need amps. X2's can use a VModa Boom Mic whereas the M1060's need to use a Modmic type setup if that matters to you. The X1/X2's are really great for gaming as well as the music you're looking at, but honestly the M1060 has more 'wow' to it compared to the X1/X2. My 8 year old prefers the M1060's over the X1's when he plays Destiny if that matters. I asked him why they sounded better to him and he just said they just sound so big.